Author Topic: New skinning slots.  (Read 3340 times)

Offline LCADolby

• Platinum Member
Re: New skinning slots.
« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2020, 12:58:02 PM »
If Confederate Air Force skins are given an exception to appear in AH, then there is precedence for neutral skins being given the same exception.  :old:
JG5 "Eismeer"
YouTube-20Dolby10
Twitch - Glendinho

Offline Greebo

• Skinner Team
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2020, 01:19:05 PM »
I did mention to HT that the CAF skins did not fit the rules for MA inclusion but it is his game and that's what he wants. However unless he tells me otherwise I will not be accepting any neutral skins as I think this is a slippery slope. The rule in question is:- "We will only accept skins that were historically used in World War II." Neutral air forces technically were not "in WW2" even if they did shoot down planes from air forces that were.

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2020, 01:44:30 PM »
If Confederate Air Force skins are given an exception to appear in AH, then there is precedence for neutral skins being given the same exception.  :old:

The former may not be currently enabled in Melee.
”KILLER V”
Charter Member of the P-51 Mustang Skin Mafia
King of the Hill Champ, Tour 219
325th VFG - "The Checkertails"
King of the Hill Win Percentage - 100 (1 Win, 0 Losses)

Offline avionix

• Silver Member
« Reply #18 on: June 05, 2020, 02:59:16 PM »
Speaking of various rare schemes:

(Image removed from quote.)

I'd fly that!  :aok
treekilr in game.   
"Please. This is supposed to be a happy occasion. Let's not bicker and argue over who killed who..."

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #19 on: June 05, 2020, 03:50:34 PM »
I did mention to HT that the CAF skins did not fit the rules for MA inclusion but it is his game and that's what he wants. However unless he tells me otherwise I will not be accepting any neutral skins as I think this is a slippery slope. The rule in question is:- "We will only accept skins that were historically used in World War II." Neutral air forces technically were not "in WW2" even if they did shoot down planes from air forces that were.

Perhaps he is not allowing them in the MA.    :headscratch:
”KILLER V”

Offline Greebo

• Skinner Team
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #20 on: June 06, 2020, 04:28:49 AM »
I could be wrong but I don't think there is a way of excluding an accepted skin from a specific arena. I'm just saying that "But you accepted the CAF skins!" will not be considered a valid reason for skinners to submit other non-WW2 aircraft for MA use.

To be clear I won't accept:- Pre-war, post-war, training (unless they likely saw combat), unarmed formation ship or recon variants, neutral air forces, prototypes or test planes, captured aircraft or tanks (maybe if used in very large quantities, i.e German T-34s). I'll also not allow skins on variants of the ride that look completely different or have totally different performance to the subject modelled by HTC. These are the rules that Pyro and Skuzzy applied to MA skins in the past so unless HT tells me different, that's what I am sticking to. And yes I am aware of the skins in the game that break these rules and that have have slipped through the net in the past. Personally I would like to delete these from the game but its probably not worth the hassle this would generate.

I'm happy to argue the case for any marginal skin subject though and if the skinner doesn't like like my ruling then I guess they can then take it up with HT. However to avoid frustration I'd suggest that the skinner does all that before creating their skin, not after.

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
    • Twitch: Twitch Feed
« Reply #21 on: June 06, 2020, 09:50:01 AM »
I'd fly that!  :aok
We need the Cheeto!
i7-12700k | Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 | EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | H150i Capellix

FlyKommando.com

Offline lyric1

• Skinner Team
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #22 on: June 25, 2020, 02:09:40 AM »
Translated a Chinese site.
Looks like the P-51B is also a CACW candidate that can be done.

https://translate.google.com/translate?sl=auto&tl=en&u=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.mobile01.com%2Ftopicdetail.php%3Ff%3D368%26t%3D5213955%26p%3D2

For what its worth a Chinese aircraft Facebook page confirms it.

Few more.

Offline LCADolby

• Platinum Member
« Reply #23 on: June 25, 2020, 02:56:16 AM »
I'm just saying that "But you accepted the CAF skins!" will not be considered a valid reason for skinners to submit other non-WW2 aircraft for MA use.

Unfortunately it is a valid reason because once/if/when the CAF skins get into the game despite breaking all the mentioned skinning inclusion rules, these "rules" become utterly meaningless hollow words, essentially leaving the only response to deny any skin; "Why? because I said so".

The "rules" are outmoded and probably should be modified to "only if operational in squadron strength between 1936-1945, this rule sponsored by CAF" or some such.
JG5 "Eismeer"
YouTube-20Dolby10
Twitch - Glendinho

Offline Greebo

• Skinner Team
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #24 on: June 25, 2020, 05:05:39 AM »
The problem is if you allow other non-WW2 skins where do you draw the line? The Luftwaffe's Spanish Civil War aircraft generally performed far worse than their WW2 variants and were often different in appearance too. Do you allow post-war schemes or Korean War schemes? The CAF aircraft don't look too out of place in a WW2 setting bar the logos and the lack of weathering but many other modern warbirds have horribly bright, glossy, unrealistic colours and schemes that are nothing like their WW2 equivalents.

To me this is just a slippery slope I do not want to get on. So until HT tells me otherwise I'll continue to base my judgement for what can be skinned on the guidelines that Pyro and Skuzzy have given to myself and other skinners over the years.

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #25 on: June 25, 2020, 10:29:12 AM »
Every combat airplane starts out free of weathering.   There are hundreds of examples in the photo history of pristine airplanes.   I don't find THAT particular aspect unrealistic. 

Hitech perhaps made and exception for the CAF aircraft (I am guessing they are released in the MA) and I can certainly live with that.   I think Greebo is right to hold to the original standard otherwise.
”KILLER V”

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #26 on: June 25, 2020, 01:43:09 PM »
Looking in from the outside, not a skinner, I see no reason to change what has worked for a long time.

:aok Greebs
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline LCADolby

• Platinum Member
« Reply #27 on: June 25, 2020, 02:36:55 PM »
A heck of a lot of options, sadly it's in rooski comrades :D

https://reibert.info/threads/jg5-ajsmeer-jagdgeschwader-5-eismeer.98632/page-1
JG5 "Eismeer"
YouTube-20Dolby10
Twitch - Glendinho

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #28 on: June 25, 2020, 02:59:35 PM »
Unfortunately it is a valid reason because once/if/when the CAF skins get into the game despite breaking all the mentioned skinning inclusion rules, these "rules" become utterly meaningless hollow words, essentially leaving the only response to deny any skin; "Why? because I said so".

The "rules" are outmoded and probably should be modified to "only if operational in squadron strength between 1936-1945, this rule sponsored by CAF" or some such.

The CAF skins are for the sake of the CAF project and don't represent the slippery slope you attempt to portray. There have been exceptions made for events and such did not invalidate the overall rules of skin approval.

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
    • Twitch: Twitch Feed
« Reply #29 on: June 25, 2020, 03:16:06 PM »
There have been exceptions made for events and such did not invalidate the overall rules of skin approval.
Like what?
i7-12700k | Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 | EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | H150i Capellix

FlyKommando.com