Author Topic: Plane rolls left when I pull back on stick  (Read 4197 times)

Online Bizman

• Plutonium Member
Re: Plane rolls left when I pull back on stick
« Reply #30 on: July 27, 2020, 09:18:22 AM »
C:\Hitech Creations\Aces High III\films

While I'm at it.
C:\Hitech Creations\Aces High III\scrshot
Those can't be viewed, they're just showing where your computer stores them. Instead, open the Attachments and other options menu and find the specific .ahf file you want to post as an attachment, repeat up to four times if necessary:

Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline mechanic

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #31 on: July 27, 2020, 09:50:34 AM »

It happens in spits

It happens in 109s

It happens in 190s

It.happens in P51s

Haven't tried every plane but...

Yes... I'm sure its not aircraft specific

Fair enough. It's only that you said you had the stick pulled all the way back. In most aircraft this will induce a stall that usually rolls the aircraft in the direction that the engine torque dictates if no other control input is registred. I'm sure you already knew that, just checking all possibilities.

And I don't know much, but I do know this. With a golden heart comes a rebel fist.

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #32 on: July 27, 2020, 10:12:57 AM »
Fair enough. It's only that you said you had the stick pulled all the way back. In most aircraft this will induce a stall that usually rolls the aircraft in the direction that the engine torque dictates if no other control input is registred. I'm sure you already knew that, just checking all possibilities.

The Yak series' engines turn in opposite direction from most, as does the Spit XIV.   Might be interesting to see if a roll in the opposite direction occurs in these planes.  That would definitely implicate torque as a factor.

Also, you didn't specifically mention trying Combat Trim - just the stall limiter.  Does Combat Trim have any effect?

Finally, if you flight straight and level using AutoPilot-Level ("x") and then switch off Auto Pilot without making any other changes or adding inputs from the controls - does the roll left start to occur?

Offline Easyscor

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #33 on: July 27, 2020, 12:31:21 PM »
Thanks Bizman, I should have clarified.
Easy in-game again.
Since Tour 19 - 2001

Offline 1stpar3

• Gold Member
« Reply #34 on: July 28, 2020, 11:29:32 AM »
Twisty stick? If Combat Trim is off, just about every plane will get loose. Especially when pulling hard on Elevators, lot of speed loss and lift and Torque changes :uhoh Just went through this getting my Niece all set up. Some how "combat trim" had been mapped to a button and would get turned off. Although she still had issues but was also a wee bit ham fisted with the elevators also....insta-out of control :D  "What is making that noise?"  "Uh, that is your Airplane giving you the same attitude you give your Mom"  not that I mind, as her mom is my Sis..you get it lol  "It means keep pulling that stick so hard, you gonna get slapped with a stall! You might survive..you might not, so good luck with that!" :bolt:   
« Last Edit: July 28, 2020, 11:42:49 AM by 1stpar3 »
"Life is short,break the rules,forgive quickly,kiss slowly,love truly,laugh uncontrollably,and never regret anything that made you smile."  “The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”- Mark Twain

Offline Easyscor

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #35 on: July 28, 2020, 12:28:18 PM »
We still don't know if he's locked out the twisty stick.
Easy in-game again.
Since Tour 19 - 2001

Offline 1stpar3

• Gold Member
« Reply #36 on: July 29, 2020, 01:08:10 AM »
We still don't know if he's locked out the twisty stick.
TRUE!!! My niece has a bad habit of keeping rudder engaged inadvertently! That would most definitely cause issues like he describes! 
"Life is short,break the rules,forgive quickly,kiss slowly,love truly,laugh uncontrollably,and never regret anything that made you smile."  “The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”- Mark Twain

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #37 on: August 04, 2020, 01:22:56 PM »
From his description, he is stalling the aircraft. He may have changed the default setting of a stall limiter in the setup/flight preferences. The change in setting is why he is now thinking it is rolling.

HiTech

Offline Easyscor

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #38 on: August 04, 2020, 04:45:39 PM »
That's interesting, I wouldn't have thought that possible. Still, can't rule out the obvious at this point.
Easy in-game again.
Since Tour 19 - 2001

Offline Easyscor

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #39 on: August 04, 2020, 05:36:52 PM »
I just checked.

The stall limit slider is in Arena Settings and the Player's only ability to change Stall-Limit is the ON or OFF checkbox in Flight options. Am I missing something?

If he was having this issue offline, it would makes sense, but not if playing in the MA, AvA or SEA because he wouldn't be able to change that.

:bolt:
Easy in-game again.
Since Tour 19 - 2001

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #40 on: August 13, 2020, 06:31:33 AM »
I just noticed this is happening to me last night, in a P-38J.   Level the plane with auto level, full throttle both engines, and when I turn off auto pilot, he plane begins a slow roll to the left.  With the manual control of the P-38s engines, I can control the roll by reducing right engine throttle, but I have to reduce by almost 50%.

I haven't bothered to reset my trim controls, but I have assigned them now to the joystick hat switch and will try manually correcting.

Offline Drano

• Platinum Member
« Reply #41 on: August 13, 2020, 07:49:18 AM »
I was thinking he should try a 38 and see if his problem persists. The idea is the 38 doesn't have torque issues one direction or the other due to the counter rotating props. No other plane has this. Would rule that out anyway.

Oboe, I haven't tested the condition you described but will look into it later and report back.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

FSO flying with the 412th Friday Night Volunteer Group

Offline Drano

• Platinum Member
« Reply #42 on: August 13, 2020, 11:13:48 AM »
OK just took a test hop in a 38L on Bustr's training map, NW airspawn. Using the 38 to rule out a prop torque or Pfactor directional thing. I let airspeed stabilize, took autopilot off and got a mild back stick and so also a mild up pitch. Nothing violent but it's there. I went out and recal'd in the VKB software and then again in AH to rule that out. Same hop, same results. I noticed if I put combat trim on it straightened right out. Nothing unexpected on my end. I can actually trim the x and y axii in real time with my stick by activating a mode on one of the hats so tuning this out has become second nature. Can also recenter them the same way.

To rule out a stick problem try this program from VKB, Joy Tester. It'll give you more detail on the graph so you can really see any odd glitches better. It's a universal program so it'll work with any controller. Just make sure you have it selected so you're seeing what you want.

Get it here in the troubleshooting section:

https://vkbcontrollers.com/?page_id=4609
"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline Drano

• Platinum Member
« Reply #43 on: August 13, 2020, 11:30:33 AM »
OK just replicated your problem with an F4U-4 using the same technique as above. After stabilizing speed I took off autopilot and got a mild up pitch AND a mild roll left. The roll I'd certainly attribute to torque now as it didn't happen in the 38. One of the reasons I chose that bird. Something a little on the torquey side to make it happen. Both times I did this the effect was mild and certainly controllable with the stick alone and could be easily tuned out with aileron and elevator trim. Doing this will affect centering the ball also so you'll need rudder trim. Map all of these to something on your stick or simply use combat trim.

Keep in mind on a takeoff roll down the runway the torque from the engine is gonna pull you generally left depending on rotation of the engine(s) until the airspeed builds up to give some rudder authority. Keep straight with the rudder in that case until you get going. If you pull back too soon(not fast enough) then yeah, you're likely to flip over--usually to the left. With a less torquey bird you might just ground loop to the left, with a more torquey one flip over.
"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline Drano

• Platinum Member
« Reply #44 on: August 13, 2020, 11:38:49 AM »
And just to be sure I did the same test with a Tempest (that cockpit is godawful I gotta say) and it did exactly what I expected it to. A mild pitch up but this time also a mild roll to the RIGHT as that prop turns the other way.
"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"