Author Topic: Aces High Modeler  (Read 6466 times)

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
Re: Aces High Modeler
« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2020, 04:16:14 PM »
I am Spartacus
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline JimmyD3

• Gold Member
« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2020, 06:42:16 PM »
I am Kenai ! :D
Kenai77
CO Sic Puppies MWK
USAF 1971-76

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #17 on: July 25, 2020, 12:21:24 AM »
Frankly, I'm excited to see the quality of our resident Professional "John Galt" and what he has to donate to the community.  :banana:
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline toasted

• Copper Member
« Reply #18 on: July 25, 2020, 12:33:26 AM »

i feel like your talking a bit of crap unnecessarily.
 I'll willingly show you, i aint skeered.
could have just asked though.

i actually did this today just playing around to see if i could make a passable ww2 airplane.

granted it's not game optimized and 18k polys.and its more complex (individual panels) than a game model would need to be. and i cheated with a meshshooth or two to speed things up which im not a fan of doing. but i was just having fun.
looks ok to me for an evening messing around. and would be a good start on a high res model that could be wrapped over lower quality geometry if nothing else.
just for fun, now it will sit in a folder on my hard drive never to be finished or used most likely.
so more of a waste of time than if we could actually use some of these in a game. but i got my value out of it. on my terms.
but i dont know enough about the ah3 engine to actually attempt to make a model for it so i was just playing around.

https://ibb.co/SmqsNtL
https://ibb.co/tMLBsZk
https://ibb.co/v15mBBs
https://ibb.co/N7hZGBX

missing a ton of details still, beauty is in the details.
https://ibb.co/hYf2SnF

i tried to img tag it
« Last Edit: July 25, 2020, 01:43:24 AM by toasted »
"fly as far as you can into the crash"

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #19 on: July 25, 2020, 01:42:09 AM »
The overall shape is an airplane, but what I see is a lot of bad geometry. I don't think it could be used in the game.

It's not your fault. A lot of self-taught artists make the same mistakes. Any animator worth his salt could tell you why this is so, but maybe Hitech feels differently.

My two cents.
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline toasted

• Copper Member
« Reply #20 on: July 25, 2020, 02:07:42 AM »
i freely admitted it was some hacked together non game optimized geometry i smashed together in a couple of hours.
congratulations you pointed out exactly what i said, you wouldn't use that exact geometry as the in game model.

that geometry is needlessly complex in a couple areas. but you could use that to make a displacement mesh and even then meh. though it makes a spectacular layout helper when making lo poly meshes.

your correct though, that would be unacceptable geometry.thou shall not use turbosmooth being commandment 3.

game geometry for ah3 is probably tris, and a fairly low limit at that.
you would end up with game model geometry like,,,
https://ibb.co/MMKp3nS
though i have no idea of the actual density ,and let me be clear this is just a representation of a small piece.

i understand the concepts involved here is all im trying to say.

« Last Edit: July 25, 2020, 02:51:23 AM by toasted »

Offline toasted

• Copper Member
« Reply #21 on: July 25, 2020, 02:13:17 AM »
double

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #22 on: July 25, 2020, 02:41:41 AM »
There was a thread years back where Hitech was answering questions on this topic. I think it was Ink that had a P-40 that showed the work he had done (typical early stage work with non-planar edges, lots of tris. In that thread I believe Hitech displayed an image of one of their models as an example and gave the vertex budget at between 30k and 100k (memory foggy). I know when I was working on the soldier (never completed) that the QUAD count budget was to be 8-12k. I took the ZBrush work to 30 Million polies and got close to photorealism, but then shelved it all for sound work in FMod.

If I ever came across a winning Lotto ticket tossed in the wind I might hire a programmer (or try to buy AH3) to build a WWII ship-busting sim, but I don't think that's likely to happen. I'm happy to be with my family and milk the cows as time allows.

Offline toasted

• Copper Member
« Reply #23 on: July 25, 2020, 02:53:05 AM »
a little cleanup gets it down to 12k i wonder if 30k would be all inclusive for cockpit and gear and all. 100k would be super nice.

and of course a little tweaking goes a long way, the actual game model wouldnt need all that detail modeled in.
a few tweaks gets you some geometry thats much more reasonable. (yes it still needs help)

zbrush and substance painter are just great fun to use with 3ds max.

https://ibb.co/48hRj1Q

i think i could pull it off, i know it may not look really like it from what ive posted, but im not a complete noob.

i also know it isnt going to happen so im not trying too hard for a game model.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2020, 03:00:02 AM by toasted »

Offline JimmyD3

• Gold Member
« Reply #24 on: July 27, 2020, 03:22:54 PM »
I am impressed Toasted, great start. :rock
Kenai77
CO Sic Puppies MWK
USAF 1971-76

Offline Devil 505

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #25 on: July 27, 2020, 05:00:41 PM »
That looks damn good.
Kommando Nowotny

FlyKommando.com

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #26 on: July 27, 2020, 05:44:04 PM »

That looks pretty impressive to me.
 :aok
 :salute
Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
    • Twitch: Twitch Feed
« Reply #27 on: July 27, 2020, 07:15:33 PM »
Holy hell @Hitech give this man a gig!
i7-12700k | Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 | EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | H150i Capellix

FlyKommando.com

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
« Reply #28 on: July 28, 2020, 06:18:06 AM »
There is so much more involved in creating/designing a new plane for aces High

Research on the plane type, plane flight performance characteristics, etc.... All actual historical documented information

The easiest part to creating the new plane type is actually the modeling/skining of the plane....

It is the gathering of historical authenticated documents and information that is the hardest part so HTC can build the new plane model and get it as close to the actual real-world model as possible

Figured that I would add this reply to the discussion since no-one has bothered to mention anything about it yet

Hope this helps

TC
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline LCADolby

• Platinum Member
« Reply #29 on: July 28, 2020, 06:45:28 AM »
Couple of days in CFD and boom  :D
JG5 "Eismeer"
YouTube-20Dolby10
Twitch - Glendinho