Author Topic: DARPA AlphaDogfight Trials Video  (Read 2377 times)

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
DARPA AlphaDogfight Trials Video
« on: August 23, 2020, 01:49:21 PM »
The AI competition with the AI winner vs Human pilot at the end. It's a gunfight so the maneuvering will be familiar.

Online Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
Re: DARPA AlphaDogfight Trials Video
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2020, 07:19:31 PM »
Huh what VR headset is that? I think it may be one of the Oculus half-dome prototypes (it's the only one I can find with a circular back strap like that)

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2020, 12:03:55 AM »
I watched the entire trials, the most common merge the AI pilots maneuvered for was the head on, especially the more aggressive AI pilots.
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2020, 06:20:41 AM »
I watched the entire trials, the most common merge the AI pilots maneuvered for was the head on, especially the more aggressive AI pilots.

Isn't that just coding?

They are as smart as they have been programmed.

Watching them fly in endless circles trying to get behind each other looks like additional manuvers could be added

Eagler
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2020, 11:02:48 AM »
Giving the bandit a bad shot in exchange for improved position may not be a good strategy with AI shooters.

The AI didn't maneuver for the head on shot, they both maneuvered for a shot and the head on was the result.

When it's AI fighting, the high aspect shot is literally the logical outcome of a neutral start with equal aircraft performance and pilot performance. The winning AI was the better shooter.

The human pilot doesn't even train for that shot. Due to safety concerns he gives turning room to the bandit, and the bandit reciprocates, when training in real aircraft.

The trials are a work in progress and I didn't see any collisions so I assume they were turned off and future development will include collision avoidance with aircraft and debris which would change the gunfights a little.

It's interesting how AI that's programmed to learn from it's mistakes ends up flying textbook maneuvers. I'd like to see 2v2 now.

Online Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2020, 04:45:31 PM »
The first team that puts a turret on their platform will win.

Offline Wolfala

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2020, 07:41:15 AM »
Paging 999000

the best cure for "wife ack" is to deploy chaff:    $...$$....$....$$$.....$ .....$$$.....$ ....$$

Offline Wolfala

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2020, 07:46:27 AM »
The AI competition with the AI winner vs Human pilot at the end. It's a gunfight so the maneuvering will be familiar.

I watched the entire thing and did they really turn fight the entire time with no vertical? That was like watching old people diddly

the best cure for "wife ack" is to deploy chaff:    $...$$....$....$$$.....$ .....$$$.....$ ....$$

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2020, 11:58:47 AM »
If you can't see the vertical in the tracks you can get an indication from the speed and G changes.

Stick, rudder and throttle positions are also shown.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2020, 12:00:43 PM by FLS »

Offline LCADolby

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2020, 12:24:54 PM »
To be honest I'd like them to take some top tier sim pilots and put them up against that AI.
JG5 "Eismeer"
YouTube-20Dolby10
Twitch - Glendinho

Offline Wolfala

• Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2020, 01:19:12 PM »
To be honest I'd like them to take some top tier sim pilots and put them up against that AI.

Exactly. Take some guy with 20+ years of experience between falcon DCS or aces high and I suspect probably correctly that the AI is not going to stand much of a chance

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2020, 01:23:17 PM »
Just the gunnery alone would make it difficult for the human, but I would be curious.

The AH guy would probably get HOed down and then whine about it for half an hour.

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2020, 02:14:09 PM »
They need to factor in g forces for AI or what is the sense

Eagler
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2020, 01:51:58 AM »
They need to factor in g forces for AI or what is the sense

Eagler

wasn't supposed to be a fair simulation fight.  it was meant to test ai.

for those who think if you play simulators for fun and they could be better than a trained pilot, well  :rofl :rofl :rofl

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Online Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2020, 02:38:43 AM »
wasn't supposed to be a fair simulation fight.  it was meant to test ai.

for those who think if you play simulators for fun and they could be better than a trained pilot, well  :rofl :rofl :rofl

semp

As noted in the video a trained pilot has to unlearn a whole pile of stuff that becomes irrelevant or even an obstacle in a sim, such as use of negative G manoeuvres. Being a simulation many of the nuances of operating the aircraft a pilot is trained in simply go away, for example they used air starts.