Author Topic: Key Reason why ENY is stupid  (Read 21295 times)

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
Re: Key Reason why ENY is stupid
« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2020, 07:31:52 AM »
Eny upset folks who will not even sides. They complain because they can't use their late war planes to pummel the outnumbered side.

Everyone seems to think people leave because of their reason. Most leave because of other people.... like those that do not care to even sides.

I know there is a time limit and it is set so long that it is inhibiting the folks who would normally switch to even sides.

That is the bigger issue and not the eny. Eny works to move people, the switch time limit works to keep them from moving. All folks do is complain about eny when it is the switch time limit that would help the issue the easiest.

If folks do not have the time crutch for switching, then they really can't complain.

Here is another fix.... we can remove the eny, all folks get on the same side  no side is outnumbered.... everyone can fly the plane they want and capture as long as they want. This fixes another issue with some terrains staying up for a few days too.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2020, 07:36:58 AM by Shuffler »
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline Slade

• Silver Member
« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2020, 08:07:17 AM »
+1 on what vinkman said.

I'll add thanks to AH efforts to deal with mismatches though.

This is the real problem as ENY does not create enough incentive to switch.

I have not switched sides in YEARS.  I actually like fighting should the odds turn against us.  I tend to fly mid-war planes.  If we get outnumbered and a horde is taking a base I might jump in perk plane briefly.

Likewise if my side has more numbers well...sorry.  There IS a bright side.  It is an opportunity for you to get better.  :old:
« Last Edit: October 14, 2020, 08:11:21 AM by Slade »
-- Flying as X15 --

Offline Mayhem

• Nickel Member
      • http://www.damned.org
« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2020, 09:16:11 AM »
Eny upset folks who will not even sides. They complain because they can't use their late war planes to pummel the outnumbered side.

Everyone seems to think people leave because of their reason. Most leave because of other people.... like those that do not care to even sides.

I know there is a time limit and it is set so long that it is inhibiting the folks who would normally switch to even sides.

That is the bigger issue and not the eny. Eny works to move people, the switch time limit works to keep them from moving. All folks do is complain about eny when it is the switch time limit that would help the issue the easiest.

If folks do not have the time crutch for switching, then they really can't complain.

Here is another fix.... we can remove the eny, all folks get on the same side  no side is outnumbered.... everyone can fly the plane they want and capture as long as they want. This fixes another issue with some terrains staying up for a few days too.

Sorry for being such a negative nelly But Dang it Shuffler now you got me all worked up and my insomia is completely kicked in and being 50 sux!

You know me well enough to now I have no loyalty to a chess peace or any of the first three letters of the alphabet. I want to be able to fly what I want with friends specially squadies which doesn't happen often enough any more. The only thing that holds me back from side swapping is not being able to change back when squadies or friends show or when NMY is over. I got trapped on the wrong side due to that way to many times back in 2011 and before as I mentioned in that old post from 2011.

And the really funny part is right now it hits hardest when the numbers are the lowest and you have people sleeping in the towers which is mostly when the left coasters and late nighters get on. There is almost no reason to even have it on at those low numbers. It's probably easier to just turn it off at certain times or under low numbers than it is to implement an auto kick for loiterers .... God I can only imagine how many ways that can go wrong!

We can't get a perma-squelch because it detracts from the community aspect of the game than maybe it's time for the community to grow up. Just unlock the dang side change cap Or give it a really low refresh like one change per 5 or 10 minutes. We probably got more then a few guys with more money than a social life to run shade accounts that make the point of limiting side swaps pointless any way.

Edit: Another bad time it hits is right after FSO a Scenario or some other event. poor Drano and Joker get stuck in p38js or gs .... I can normally stay happy if I'm in a f4u or a p38l (With Wingies)
« Last Edit: October 14, 2020, 09:27:45 AM by Mayhem »
"Destination anywhere! So Far Gone, I'm almost There."
The Damned! (Est. 1988) Damned if we do - No fun if we don't!

Offline Vinkman

• Gold Member
« Reply #18 on: October 14, 2020, 09:26:52 AM »
Vinkman, sorry but you should have stayed in whatever vehicle you had. that was your mistake. any vehicle will kill an m3 and troops.

eny has nothing to do with your claim.

semp

Semp you clearly didn't understand.  :salute
Who is John Galt?

Offline Vinkman

• Gold Member
« Reply #19 on: October 14, 2020, 09:35:13 AM »
Wait, so let me get this straight: You are on a side that has high numbers ...
Actually even numbers. Knits were fight Bish. Rooks were not an an issue. It had become a two sided fight. Perhaps the rooks were switching because they had no action.

Yeah, you gambled, and you lost.  You should have chosen something that wouldn't risk being ENY locked at all, especially if it was fluctuating like you said it was.
ENY had already restricted almost everything. The whole Vehicle roster was yellow. I selected a tank because M3s have .50 cals. I think it was a Panzer iv H, and waited. When I launched ENY had lowered again so I couldn't even take that POS.

And how could it take so long to choose something that's white and just launch? :headscratch:  It's a scramble, you go out with whatever is onboard and make due. :)

When I selected it, it was available, when I launched, it wasn't.   The difference in time was 20 seconds because I was waiting for the VH to come up. 
Who is John Galt?

Offline Vinkman

• Gold Member
« Reply #20 on: October 14, 2020, 09:51:01 AM »

So I should have left a good fight to go to Rooks who had no fight on the map, just to make sides even?

.... like those that do not care to even sides.
Maybe. But HiTech has said previously that the point of ENY is NOT to make you switch sides. Begging the question....what is it for?

When one side get more players, why is an intervention needed to stop them from winning a map?  Why is not winning maps a goal of the coders?  Why is every fight on the map handicapped because one squad on one team has logged on at the same time and is rolling bases. It's a big map, lots of folks trying to have fun, independent of what one squad is doing.

ENY makes no one happy. The people it limits are frustrated and pissed off. The people it doesn't limit, have no idea the affected people are limited. When I engage a 109-G6 I don't get suddenly happy and think Thank God ENY forced this guy into a g6 because I have no idea why the guy is in a g6. So there is no positive emotion created by the ENY limit. Leaving only the Frustrated players who were limited.

Therefore it's net effect on player satisfaction is only negative. 

Who is John Galt?

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #21 on: October 14, 2020, 01:28:30 PM »
ENY should be tied to a persons score...the better they are the more restricted their choices.

Need someway to keep the vets out of their studmuffinfires and jetyaks :)

Eagler
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline Ramesis

• Silver Member
« Reply #22 on: October 14, 2020, 01:44:32 PM »
So no one jumped over to help the rooks. People are broken. :)

I have been a rook ever since I joined this game when AW died, committed suicide or was
killed... I will not apologize for staying rook... I was brought up to be loyal to everything...
the USA, the company I worked 35 yrs for, etc.... unless there is a compelling reason to change
those loyalties, I will remain that way although the dems AND repubs continue to make it hard  :salute
"Would you tell me, please,
 which way I ought to go from here?
 That depends a good deal on where
 you want to get to. Said the cat."
    Charles Lutwidge Dodgson a.k.a. Lewis Carroll

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #23 on: October 14, 2020, 02:12:12 PM »
Yall have answered your own questions.  :aok

Mayhem...... hence the note about switch time too long.  :aok
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #24 on: October 14, 2020, 02:12:55 PM »
ENY makes no one happy.

I'm good with it.  :old:

Complainers tend to exaggerate things.

Offline Volron

• Platinum Member
« Reply #25 on: October 14, 2020, 02:37:01 PM »
Actually even numbers. Knits were fight Bish. Rooks were not an an issue. It had become a two sided fight. Perhaps the rooks were switching because they had no action.

Rooks were at 8, while Bish and Nit were 20+.  Not sure how that is "even".  The other side was dealing with ENY just like you. :)

ENY had already restricted almost everything. The whole Vehicle roster was yellow. I selected a tank because M3s have .50 cals. I think it was a Panzer iv H, and waited. When I launched ENY had lowered again so I couldn't even take that POS. 

So did HiTech remove the Panzer F?  Has her ENY been changed to equal the H, or to where she could be ENY locked? :headscratch:

When I selected it, it was available, when I launched, it wasn't.   The difference in time was 20 seconds because I was waiting for the VH to come up. 

20 seconds is a long time, well more than enough for ENY to do it's ENY thing.  :noid

You still gambled on a vehicle that could become ENY locked while waiting.  It did and you lost.

I would say, "Add more GV's for the higher (lower?) ENY side of things", but it's looking like they'd simply be ignored like the Panzer F.  Don't be afraid of the F, you might be surprised at what that short barrel 75 could do. :)
Quote from: hitech
Wow I find it hard to believe it has been almost 38 days since our last path. We should have release another 38 versions by now  :bhead
HiTech
Quote from: Pyro
Quote from: Jolly
What on Earth makes you think that i said that sir?!
My guess would be scotch.

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #26 on: October 14, 2020, 02:47:28 PM »
I would say, "Add more GV's for the higher (lower?) ENY side of things", but it's looking like they'd simply be ignored like the Panzer F.  Don't be afraid of the F, you might be surprised at what that short barrel 75 could do. :)

This will never happen but it is fun to talk about.  :D

Offline DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #27 on: October 14, 2020, 03:32:57 PM »
IMO, I don't believe ENY restrictions do any good for any side, and pretty much just encourages people to log off when they can't fly what they want on their side with friends. Perking these planes would be a better option.

If there are 20 players on 2 teams compared to 8 on the third team, I recon only <10 players are attacking that 3rd team if anything at all. The 3rd team would be able to defend against that. Mostly they will be going after bombers trying to hit towns who see least resistance of fighters on that side.

I really don't think ENY works when late war planes are still in the teens or 20s like Yak3s and 109g14s. Eny hurts attack planes the most which can make it very tough to take a base on either of the 2 sides. Therefore it can keep a map up much longer than it should be.

« Last Edit: October 14, 2020, 03:38:30 PM by DmonSlyr »
The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-
2014 & 2018 KoTH ToC Champion

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #28 on: October 14, 2020, 03:48:16 PM »
IMO, I don't believe ENY restrictions do any good for any side, and pretty much just encourages people to log off when they can't fly what they want on their side with friends. Perking these planes would be a better option.

If there are 20 players on 2 teams compared to 8 on the third team, I recon only <10 players are attacking that 3rd team if anything at all. The 3rd team would be able to defend against that. Mostly they will be going after bombers trying to hit towns who see least resistance of fighters on that side.

I really don't think ENY works when late war planes are still in the teens or 20s like Yak3s and 109g14s. Eny hurts attack planes the most which can make it very tough to take a base on either of the 2 sides. Therefore it can keep a map up much longer than it should be.
If you log, it is your choice. Not sure how that is better. If you log, then hanging with your friends must not be a reason for not changing sides, the time issue must not be the problem..... hmmm
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #29 on: October 14, 2020, 04:23:40 PM »

This is what ENY is for, to slow the team with the larger numbers down so fewer players can have a chance to defend.....if they want.

ENY is NOT to force players to switch sides. It IS a benefit should it happen, and it IS an option for those players that just HAVE TO fly their favorite bird.

ENY does work, but I think with the lower numbers the imbalance is more pronounced. Also with some of the planes/vehicles that were added back in the day and their ENY was set the arenas had much bigger numbers and the game was played differently. Thats why planes like the YAK3 are so out of whack ENY wise. I think if HTC watched game play for a month and then reevaluated the ENY on these planes/vehicles you'd see some changes.

On the other hand, Im think HTC is all done with any more changes in the game.  :(