Author Topic: Fleet Stopped  (Read 3960 times)

Offline Vinkman

• Gold Member
Fleet Stopped
« on: October 26, 2020, 09:41:45 AM »
I don't believe currently there is a way to stop the fleet from moving.  When shelling Towns and bases the ability to stop would be very useful.   :salute
Who is John Galt?

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
Re: Fleet Stopped
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2020, 09:45:02 AM »
So... preventing most if not all AC from taking off would be desirable?

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline Vinkman

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2020, 09:46:44 AM »
So... preventing most if not all AC from taking off would be desirable?

Wiley.

If some aircraft or aircraft with ords couldn't take off, that would be a trade off.  :salute
Who is John Galt?

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2020, 10:13:55 AM »
Make the fleet hydro foil so planes can do vtol.  :old:

No, wait, make the fleet go in reverse so planes must take off backwards!  :banana:

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2020, 10:20:28 AM »
If some aircraft or aircraft with ords couldn't take off, that would be a trade off.  :salute

Well, since players always are harmoniously in agreement for how to use carriers all the time, I see no way this could possibly be abused.  A truly excellent suggestion.

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline Volron

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2020, 10:21:00 AM »

No, wait, make the fleet go in reverse so planes must take off backwards!  :banana:

What about sideways?  You forgot sideways. :uhoh
Quote from: hitech
Wow I find it hard to believe it has been almost 38 days since our last path. We should have release another 38 versions by now  :bhead
HiTech
Quote from: Pyro
Quote from: Jolly
What on Earth makes you think that i said that sir?!
My guess would be scotch.

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2020, 10:27:43 AM »
What about sideways?  You forgot sideways. :uhoh

Verily I didth.

Offline Vinkman

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2020, 10:36:29 AM »
...  A truly excellent suggestion.

Wiley.

Good we'll put you down for +1  :salute
Who is John Galt?

Offline Vinkman

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2020, 10:39:39 AM »

That would be stupid, but keep trying Arlo  :salute
Who is John Galt?

Online The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2020, 10:57:07 AM »
Fleets don't stop. Even when they stop all screws the winds and currents push them around.This could be why they built targeting computers to aim the guns.

Even when they try to stop they have a hard time. May carrier, even for an emergency stop took over a mile.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2020, 10:59:05 AM by The Fugitive »

Offline Vinkman

• Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2020, 11:00:52 AM »
Fleets don't stop. Even when they stop all screws the winds and currents push them around.This could be why they built targeting computers to aim the guns.

Even when they try to stop they have a hard time. May carrier, even for an emergency stop took over a mile.

I've seen stopped fleets shelling islands in multiple wars. Are you saying it's easier to land targets at Full speed?
Who is John Galt?

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2020, 11:10:19 AM »
I've seen stopped fleets shelling islands in multiple wars. Are you saying it's easier to land targets at Full speed?

You saw battleships and cruisers doing so. CV elements, not so much.

But one must always consider how a 'useful' idea will be abused. It's part of the process.

Offline Vinkman

• Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2020, 11:15:26 AM »
You saw battleships and cruisers doing so. CV elements, not so much.

But one must always consider how a 'useful' idea will be abused. It's part of the process.

Looking to discuss the plus and minus. CV is tied to the Cruiser in that Fleet arrangement. I don't think the Battle ship can be parked either.  So The CV having to Stop with the cruiser would be a trade off. But If I'm by myself on CV group and start shelling a base, I have no spotters and it's really difficult to get yourself calibrated while the boat is moving at Flank speed. 

If not the CV group, maybe be able to stop the Battle ship.  :salute 
« Last Edit: October 26, 2020, 11:33:27 AM by Vinkman »
Who is John Galt?

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2020, 11:44:12 AM »
How about this instead?

Would it be possible to code in the ability for BB and CA main batteries to track shore targets without constant manual input? With the push of a button the turret stays tracked on the last shore position set. Range must still be adjusted. It might not be a practical bit of programming but I think it's more of a practical solution. BBs and CAs could effectively shore bombard while underway.

Offline Vinkman

• Gold Member
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2020, 12:03:42 PM »
How about this instead?

Would it be possible to code in the ability for BB and CA main batteries to track shore targets without constant manual input? With the push of a button the turret stays tracked on the last shore position set. Range must still be adjusted. It might not be a practical bit of programming but I think it's more of a practical solution. BBs and CAs could effectively shore bombard while underway.

haha we have that.  That's not enough. Let's say I look at a map of an airfield and I know that Fighter hangar is 1000 yds W and 200 N of the Vehicle Hangar. Let's say after many tries I hit the VH.
1) Movement of the gun is relative to the gun, not the map. So I have to calculate how to transpose the 1000,200 into new Left/right : farther/Nearer movements based on which way the base is facing on the map and where my boat is relative to the base.   Every time the boat moves, I have to recalculate. But that's impossible because the boat is constantly moving.

2) If the boat sat still I could fire in a pattern until I hit a second target. That would allow me to triangulate the boats range and orientation to the field.  Then I could calculate how to move the gun to hit targets.

« Last Edit: October 26, 2020, 12:17:55 PM by Vinkman »
Who is John Galt?