Author Topic: The Tesla Semi will replace The Diesel Semi  (Read 13659 times)

Offline Mano

• Gold Member
The Tesla Semi will replace The Diesel Semi
« on: October 26, 2020, 10:02:13 PM »

:salute
Everything is funny as long as it is happening to somebody else.
- Will Rogers (1879 - 1935)

Offline scott66

• Gold Member
Re: The Tesla Semi will replace The Diesel Semi
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2020, 10:37:26 PM »
"scott66"        
 XO ThunderHorse Squadron.    

"This place is a psychologist's wet dream".... FishBait

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2020, 11:21:05 PM »
Not in the next 20 years.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline BoilerDown

• Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2020, 01:03:54 AM »
That's only because it takes 20 years to replace a generation of vehicles.  But the traditional ICE truck makers and their suppliers will be asking for government handouts in 5 years, not 20, thanks to no one wanting to buy a diesel truck any more.
Boildown

This is the Captain.  We have a lil' problem with our entry sequence so we may experience some slight turbulence and then... explode.

Boildown is Twitching: http://www.twitch.tv/boildown

Offline Meatwad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2020, 06:39:24 AM »
Tesla must of upgraded their graphic software. it actually has smooth lines instead of Atari era polygons
See Rule 19- Do not place sausage on pizza.
I am No-Sausage-On-Pizza-Wad.
Das Funkillah - I kill hangers, therefore I am a funkiller. Coming to a vulchfest near you.
You cant tie a loop around 400000 lbs of locomotive using a 2 foot rope - Drediock on fat women

Offline Maverick

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2020, 10:43:19 AM »
A couple points. A 500 mile range per charge just isn't going to cut it for over the road operators. It certainly is viable for short haul or urban deliver trucks IF they can provide a load vs weight balance that allows them to operate on the city streets economically.  Secondly due to the idiot in charge of the PDRK (peepuls demokratik repugnant of kaliphornya) who shut down both nuke and fossil fuel power generating plants there is insufficient electrical grid to power the current load. The rotating blackouts were proof of that recently. It is estimated that to power an all electrical vehicle state with just a small car like the chevy volt it would take double the previous grid (pre anti nuke and fossil fuel plants) level of power to charge them.

In addition they neglected to talk about the issue of either recycling the batteries or disposal including the tremendous amount of hazardous waste.

I am far from a luddite but I do not see the electrical vehicle tech capable of taking over from ICE any time soon.
DEFINITION OF A VETERAN
A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."
Author Unknown

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2020, 11:21:37 AM »
damn that's disconcerting. nuclear and fossils fuels are shutdown.  better call the plants since they seem to be operating.

right now we have winds at only 40mph, yesterday they were at 98, 3 fires started yesterday due to power lines and wind don't mix.  northern part of my city had no electricity yesterday due to the wind. i literally cannot get out of my apartment due to downed power lines.

did you know that 98 mph is a cat 2 hurricane without the water? there's trucks overturned all over the place. think they were 22 within 6 miles of  my house.

but whatever.

semp

you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2020, 11:38:58 AM »
We have high winds here from time to time but no fires. Probably different regulations by the powers that be.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2020, 11:56:39 AM »
So the solar panels are pulled behind on the 5th wheel trailer?

Eagler
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2020, 11:59:12 AM »
we have high winds for days at a time. people keep building and buying houses disregarding history of winds.

that's what happened to one of my friends, she bought a beautiful house in a place were winds are a problem. thousands of houses built and not a single generator. has nothing to do with regulations, just a bad place to build houses.

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2020, 02:03:17 PM »
A couple points. A 500 mile range per charge just isn't going to cut it for over the road operators. It certainly is viable for short haul or urban deliver trucks IF they can provide a load vs weight balance that allows them to operate on the city streets economically.

It's worse than that. The specs state 400 miles on a 30 minute (80%) recharge, it's weird as they seem to avoid stating full recharge time. Oh and that's on a Tesla megacharger. There's no info on whether that 400 miles includes capacity for aircon, lights etc. So you'd really need one of these megachargers every 300 miles or so. And if you replaced half your fleet with these trucks you'd need a lot of megachargers.

Offline Rondar

• Nickel Member
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2020, 02:17:47 PM »
Probably like the old timers who thought their trusted corn cobs would never be replaced by the newfangled Charmin.
To understand true love, lock your dog and your wife in the trunk of your car for an hour and then see which one is glad to see you when you come back

Offline Ramesis

• Silver Member
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2020, 02:37:05 PM »
Probably like the old timers who thought their trusted corn cobs would never be replaced by the newfangled Charmin.

:rofl

But how is the electricity going to generated recharge the batts... wind power will
not be sufficient... if fusion ever becomes viable... then, imho, it is possible
 :salute
"Would you tell me, please,
 which way I ought to go from here?
 That depends a good deal on where
 you want to get to. Said the cat."
    Charles Lutwidge Dodgson a.k.a. Lewis Carroll

Offline DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2020, 04:06:12 PM »
I'm not sure how filling up acres of land with solar and wind turbines are "good for the environment" but I digress. Talk about UGLY. Wind turbines completely destroyed the view of the Maui hills I had. It was ridiculous. At least smoke breaks down and wind currents push it away.

Somehow these people don't understand that mining for cobalt in Africa isn't exactly "top of the line" "work".

As Maverick stated, recycling and throwing away corroded batteries can be very dangerous and pollute far worse.

I think the Truck looks cool. Other than that, I am not really on the electric car bandwagon. I swear to God, if they force dealerships to not sell gas cars anymore, they are gonna have hell to pay. Of course it will be the dealerships going out of business and not the policy makers.

You'd think they would study the actual Tesla energy model of electricity but the powers that be wouldn't actually want a utility that was publicly free.

The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-
2014 & 2018 KoTH ToC Champion

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2020, 04:12:57 PM »
I think the Truck looks cool. Other than that, I am not really on the electric car bandwagon.

I would love to go all electric. But I don't think the tech or its supporting infrastructure is anywhere close to mature enough yet.