Author Topic: The Tesla Semi will replace The Diesel Semi  (Read 13648 times)

Offline Mister Fork

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member
Re: The Tesla Semi will replace The Diesel Semi
« Reply #30 on: November 13, 2020, 12:37:01 PM »
Diesel is actually not that bad.

Are we asking ourselves the right questions? Are diesel engines and CO2 emissions really the true problem? Or is it the rape of the world for natural resources with pollution tied to endless growth and consumerism going to end us way faster than a warming planet will?
« Last Edit: November 13, 2020, 12:46:47 PM by Mister Fork »
"Games are meant to be fun and fair but fighting a war is neither." - HiTech

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #31 on: November 13, 2020, 04:18:43 PM »
Next they will kill everyone at 30 years old.....  oh wait, That is Logan's Run.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline BoilerDown

• Silver Member
« Reply #32 on: November 13, 2020, 04:52:58 PM »
Here's what Mr. Fork should have posted instead:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q6qMGBUEyig
Boildown

This is the Captain.  We have a lil' problem with our entry sequence so we may experience some slight turbulence and then... explode.

Boildown is Twitching: http://www.twitch.tv/boildown

Offline 100Coogn

• Gold Member
« Reply #33 on: November 13, 2020, 05:11:57 PM »
Next they will kill everyone at 30 years old.....  oh wait, That is Logan's Run.

Showing your age Shuff...  :old:

Coogan
From Wiley: If you're hitting them after they drop, that's not defense, that is revenge.
Game Id's:
AHIII: Coogan
RDR2: Coogan_Bear
MSFS-2020: Coogan Bear

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #34 on: November 13, 2020, 05:22:52 PM »
oil ain't gonna last forever and coal is not really an alternative to a fuel engine.

so wait another 50 years, sure we can find more oil. or start looking for alternatives, except manteca, as a pig I'm against it.

who am i kidding, I'm making chicharrones tomorrow.

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline Meatwad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #35 on: November 13, 2020, 05:29:22 PM »
See Rule 19- Do not place sausage on pizza.
I am No-Sausage-On-Pizza-Wad.
Das Funkillah - I kill hangers, therefore I am a funkiller. Coming to a vulchfest near you.
You cant tie a loop around 400000 lbs of locomotive using a 2 foot rope - Drediock on fat women

Offline BoilerDown

• Silver Member
« Reply #36 on: November 25, 2020, 12:12:44 AM »
https://electrek.co/2020/11/24/tesla-semi-electric-truck-621-miles-range-elon-musk

Addresses quite a few concerns made in this thread coincidentally.
Boildown

This is the Captain.  We have a lil' problem with our entry sequence so we may experience some slight turbulence and then... explode.

Offline Maverick

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #37 on: November 25, 2020, 10:15:13 AM »
No matter how many miles per charge the truck gets there is simply insufficient electrical grid capacity (mostly from coal and natural gas) to charge a large conversion to electric vehicles. the situation on the far west coast is a preview of what I am talking about.
DEFINITION OF A VETERAN
A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."
Author Unknown

Offline Scared

• Zinc Member
« Reply #38 on: November 25, 2020, 08:57:54 PM »
innovation will prevail. china will steal it, but we will do the next great thing too.

Offline Mister Fork

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #39 on: November 26, 2020, 11:09:59 AM »
Another elephant in the room.

The existing grid doesn't have the capacity to charge no more than a move to 5% of electrically charged vehicles/trucks, and no state/province have plans to address that shortfall.

FFS, a regional heat wave taxes almost every system we have in North America (it's an integrated grid). How TF are we to manage moving to electrical grid of charging vehicles and then cope with hotter/longer heat waves and people coming home at night to charge their cars, shippers to their trucks, and then all the tech we now have in our homes that also eat into the demands on the grid.

And no, adding solar/wind power does NOT address the increase demand - it's designed to replace/augment existing.
"Games are meant to be fun and fair but fighting a war is neither." - HiTech

Offline BoilerDown

• Silver Member
« Reply #40 on: November 26, 2020, 08:08:47 PM »
FUD:

The existing grid doesn't have the capacity to charge no more than a move to 5% of electrically charged vehicles/trucks, and no state/province have plans to address that shortfall.

FFS, a regional heat wave taxes almost every system we have in North America (it's an integrated grid). How TF are we to manage moving to electrical grid of charging vehicles and then cope with hotter/longer heat waves and people coming home at night to charge their cars, shippers to their trucks, and then all the tech we now have in our homes that also eat into the demands on the grid.

And no, adding solar/wind power does NOT address the increase demand - it's designed to replace/augment existing.

Reality:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jamesmorris/2020/08/01/evs-are-not-a-problem-for-the-electric-grid-they-are-the-solution
Boildown

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #41 on: November 26, 2020, 09:08:14 PM »

Well in kalifornia they have blackouts. Those days they can't charge their vehicles. Also it would probably mean more blackouts for them.... even the ones who do not get electric vehicles.
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #42 on: November 27, 2020, 03:33:24 AM »
Well in kalifornia they have blackouts. Those days they can't charge their vehicles. Also it would probably mean more blackouts for them.... even the ones who do not get electric vehicles.

blackouts has to do with wind and not lack of power this time of year.  and it's not like you have a whole city without power.

semp

you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #43 on: November 27, 2020, 05:38:42 AM »
blackouts has to do with wind and not lack of power this time of year.  and it's not like you have a whole city without power.

semp

So wind and no charging your car.....
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline Rondar

• Nickel Member
« Reply #44 on: November 27, 2020, 09:27:09 AM »
My son in law has a Tesla car. He can drive it to work and back for approximately a week.  So, rolling blackouts are not a problem per se.  He will have a problem if it is sustained or if mother nature keeps power off for a long time.  If I were to have a Tesla myself, you can bet I would have a generator of sufficient capability to charge it.  And yes, somewhat defeating the purpose, but would still have the ability to drive.  The same person using dinosaur fuel might have a problem if electricity is off long enough for him/her to run out of gas or diesel and can't fill up anywhere.  I live rural so I already have a generator with enough gas to weather out a fair amount of grid down time, as I like a bit of heat and the refrigerators and freezers operating.

As far as trucks go, yes, probably have to be charged every day.  Could be a problem for a while.  And, I'm pretty sure an average 5,000 watt home generator will take a long time to charge a Semi Truck. 
To understand true love, lock your dog and your wife in the trunk of your car for an hour and then see which one is glad to see you when you come back