Author Topic: Carrier Groups - Care and control  (Read 2854 times)

Offline capera

• Copper Member
Carrier Groups - Care and control
« on: December 11, 2020, 12:54:21 PM »
Good afternoon Aces High

This is a question directed towards Hitech. :headscratch:

As it stands right now, CVs are controlled by whoever has a higher rank. The higher ranking player can bump a lower ranking player from commanding the fleet.

Question: Is there ANY way for a Commander of a Fleet to have actual control of the flattop, to the point where he/she can decide when flying Ops off the boat will happen?

My reasoning for this request is.....too many times I am trying to strategically move our CV into position to attack, and some new player comes along....and keep upping off the CV, thus giving the CV away before it can get to the operational stage. You can try to ask players not to up any aircraft, but requests usually fall to deaf ears and they keep upping off the boat, thus giving the boat's location away and putting grey hairs in my head.

The commander of the ship....aka Skipper.....should always have control over his fleet. Not being able to control flying ops means you have to hope other players cooperate, but we all know there are many out there that will go against the grain, just because they can.

The Commander should have control of the carrier deck activities, on his Carrier...not just the steerability of the fleet. IMHO.

Is this a possibility?

capera <S>

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
Re: Carrier Groups - Care and control
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2020, 01:16:22 PM »

The commander of the ship....aka Skipper.....should always have control over his fleet. Not being able to control flying ops means you have to hope other players cooperate, but we all know there are many out there that will go against the grain, just because they can.

Yup.  And the same can be said if an evil Skipper gets control.  Now which is worse, one guy's ultimate super stragedy awesome CV plan being thwarted, or one guy being able to deny a CV completely to the rest of the country?

I think the answer to your question will be obvious when you answer the above.

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2020, 01:29:41 PM »
Since no one is actually the leader...... this will never happen. Someone could switch sides and render your aircraft carrier unusable.

I do understand the frustration though.  :salute
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline capera

• Copper Member
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2020, 01:41:27 PM »
Valid points. Someone for sure would abuse it.

Just so tired to trying to put CVs into position, only to have someone roll off the deck and gives the CV location away before it can be used.

Oh well....back to business.

<S>

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2020, 01:49:09 PM »
Yaknow, capping a CV to protect it from incoming threats, even when it's not parked a thousand yards off an enemy base, is potential fun. Especially when I see the task force repositioned then not used effectively then sunk, rinse, repeat. Just sayin'.  :cheers:

Offline popeye

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2020, 01:56:49 PM »
Not sure you can cite Realism for a commander's control of the flight deck when the TG can loiter 2 miles offshore destroying the entire base and isn't noticed until someone spawns an airplane.   :D
KONG

Where is Major Kong?!?

Offline Volron

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2020, 02:00:11 PM »
Not sure you can cite Realism for a commander's control of the flight deck when the TG can loiter 2 miles offshore destroying the entire base and isn't noticed until someone spawns an airplane.   :D

Yeah, funny that.  You'd think loud arse explosions and destruction raining down on a base from a ship (or GV that is far enough away) would cause an alert or something. :noid
Quote from: hitech
Wow I find it hard to believe it has been almost 38 days since our last path. We should have release another 38 versions by now  :bhead
HiTech
Quote from: Pyro
Quote from: Jolly
What on Earth makes you think that i said that sir?!
My guess would be scotch.

Offline capera

• Copper Member
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2020, 02:06:36 PM »
Under normal ops, no concerns of planes upping off the deck. Heck, you hope someone will and help defend the boat.

I guess I'm more referring to when you try to 'sneak' a carrier group into their back 40. It's quite obvious what the commander of the boat it trying to do, if you understand the sim. .....but there is always that "one" player that will see the CV way back there, and up an aircraft (throwing a DAR bar) regardless.

I've tried many many times to ask players that are upping, to please refrain...as it will give the CV location away, and unfortunately...some players just do not care and will anyways.

Oh well....nothing can be done about it. Just have to endure the non team players when they pull crap like this.

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2020, 02:14:24 PM »
Oh well....nothing can be done about it. Just have to endure the non team players when they pull crap like this.

'Non-team players' can also be the ones trying to sneak a carrier TF deep into enemy territory and merely succeed in getting the TF destroyed. Honestly, a carrier TF should be advanced at approximately the same rate as the front and anyone concerned about that TF should organize other players to defend it then use it as a base of operations from which to attack. Merely setting a course to 'sneak' the CVTF without manning it nor giving concern over how many opposing TFs it will encounter can be kinda frustrating to the players that like to use the flattops continuously without waiting for permission to do so.

Offline JimmyD3

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2020, 10:55:54 AM »
Its frustrating alright. I also get frustrated when I'm in the main guns (BB or cruiser) shooting at an enemy vessel and someone turns the boat without looking to see if anyone else on is on it. :huh
Kenai77
CO Sic Puppies MWK
USAF 1971-76

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2020, 11:04:48 AM »
Yeah, funny that.  You'd think loud arse explosions and destruction raining down on a base from a ship (or GV that is far enough away) would cause an alert or something. :noid

Bases should flash when stuff gets destroyed on them.  Been suggested forever, I still think it's a good idea.  "Stealth" should not be an option with ship guns.

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline atlau

• Silver Member
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2020, 02:10:56 PM »
Bases should flash when stuff gets destroyed on them.  Been suggested forever, I still think it's a good idea.  "Stealth" should not be an option with ship guns.

Wiley.

But the stealth CV attacks often result in some of the best fights in AH. If fleets were instantly detected they be sunk before a fight could even develop.

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2020, 02:20:28 PM »
But the stealth CV attacks often result in some of the best fights in AH. If fleets were instantly detected they be sunk before a fight could even develop.

This is why when you plan to use a task force it is best to already have it manned and ready for defensive operations as well as offensive. Setting way points for a long unmanned cruise while chastising uppers isn't as brilliant as some may pretend.

Offline Train45

• Zinc Member
« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2020, 03:01:37 PM »
'Non-team players' can also be the ones trying to sneak a carrier TF deep into enemy territory and merely succeed in getting the TF destroyed. Honestly, a carrier TF should be advanced at approximately the same rate as the front and anyone concerned about that TF should organize other players to defend it then use it as a base of operations from which to attack. Merely setting a course to 'sneak' the CVTF without manning it nor giving concern over how many opposing TFs it will encounter can be kinda frustrating to the players that like to use the flattops continuously without waiting for permission to do so.

depends, some maps lend themselves really well to long unmanned cv sneaks some dont. back when i used to concern myself with cv attacks, attacking on the front is rarely sucessful, cvs need the element of surprise to be truly effective. attacking rear area bases with the cv is the most logical way to use them given that its the only way to destroy a base/town without flashing it. front line attacks get spotted right away.

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2020, 03:13:13 PM »
depends, some maps lend themselves really well to long unmanned cv sneaks some dont. back when i used to concern myself with cv attacks, attacking on the front is rarely sucessful, cvs need the element of surprise to be truly effective. attacking rear area bases with the cv is the most logical way to use them given that its the only way to destroy a base/town without flashing it. front line attacks get spotted right away.

If odds aren't your thing. I saw someone sink their own fleet three times running before it apparently got into the position they seemed to want. I give most 'carrier admirals' a one in four chance of making it there and a one in ten chance of success once there, as a result.