Author Topic: Sullly Day  (Read 8269 times)

Offline Busher

• Gold Member
Re: Sullly Day
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2021, 11:11:37 PM »
I’m the first one to the crash site.   Perhaps you missed that part.

I’m also one of the guys who trains the Sullys of the world.

Maybe you could share with us your extensive experience training pilots in heavy jets... something of at least 100K lbs. GTOW and in the discipline of a major Airline.
Being male, an accident of birth. Being a man, a matter of age. Being a gentleman, a matter of choice.

Offline Volron

• Platinum Member
« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2021, 12:09:16 AM »
Why folks seem to think he's "the pinnacle" is because no one died when he ditched the plane.  Really, that was extreme luck in that regard.  As for him "buying into his hype", well, that is on him.  It doesn't detract from the fact that he was able to pull off a successful ditch in where no one died.

I will whole heartily agree that Training is extremely important.  It will make a difference, but, Training and Experience are two different things.  Some here will truly understand the following: "You can train to kill a man all day, every day.  It is not until the day you actually take a man's life, is when you truly find out..."

I'm not sure how much more clear I need to be in regards to the differences between Training and Experience.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2021, 12:11:07 AM by Volron »
Quote from: hitech
Wow I find it hard to believe it has been almost 38 days since our last path. We should have release another 38 versions by now  :bhead
HiTech
Quote from: Pyro
Quote from: Jolly
What on Earth makes you think that i said that sir?!
My guess would be scotch.

Offline TyFoo

• Copper Member
« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2021, 12:46:16 AM »
Spot on what?

“No need to inflate what they did.”
There.  Fixed it.   
It’s utterly astounding that ditching in a river instead of hitting a building is now a bigger achievement than walking on the moon.   “The soft bigotry of low expectations.”

Spot on in that I agree with Semps response to your post. It was polite, and succinct.

You may not care for Sully for what he did before, during, or after Flight 1549, but that is no reason to hijack the thread (like I am doing now) and diminish Sullys/ Skiles action, or the OPs salute to them. Which obviously more than one of us felt that you did.

I also didn't "inflate" what they did, rather I recognized and acknowledged a well executed piece of airmanship. As an educated person, and airman I would think you could understand the difference.

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2021, 12:58:26 AM »
Since everyone seems to blame the plane now days.... it must have been the plane. Like the Max, the pilots had nothing to do with it.

:rolleyes:
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline Busher

• Gold Member
« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2021, 09:21:18 AM »
Since everyone seems to blame the plane now days.... it must have been the plane. Like the Max, the pilots had nothing to do with it.

You aren't suggesting that French airplanes have an affinity for Canadian made geese, are you?
Being male, an accident of birth. Being a man, a matter of age. Being a gentleman, a matter of choice.

Offline Max

• Platinum Member
« Reply #20 on: January 15, 2021, 12:12:10 PM »

Don't drag ME into ACHOO'S FUSS :old:

Offline Peanut1

• Nickel Member
« Reply #21 on: January 15, 2021, 02:41:13 PM »
Overrated.   To quote a fellow Captain friend, “Of course they landed in the river.  Where else were they gonna go?”

I did this exact thing in the simulator years before they did it. 

Skiles I have no beef with.  Sullnenberger just likes to hear himself talk. 

/Rant
It is uncommon for it to end with no loss of life. He did it by the books. You couldn't land a date as well as he landed that rock.

Offline Peanut1

• Nickel Member
« Reply #22 on: January 15, 2021, 02:42:51 PM »
How do you think we learn to do the right thing when the situation goes Tango Uniform?

I flew jets with an ex-freight dog early in my career who impressed upon me the importance of always looking for a place to go if both engines quit.   Why did he do that?  Because it happened to him decades before Sully and Skiles.

People can be lulled into complacency with the reliability of modern airplanes, particularly jets.  I learned a very important lesson from him that day and I’ve passed it along to every F/O I’ve flown with.

As for this particular crew...   Any ATP worth his salt could do what they did.    If not then they have no business in that cockpit.
You are just a salty old lady who never got his 5minutes of recognition for a job well done...sounds like you did a mediocre job!

Offline Peanut1

• Nickel Member
« Reply #23 on: January 15, 2021, 02:47:17 PM »
I’m the first one to the crash site.   Perhaps you missed that part.

I’m also one of the guys who trains the Sullys of the world.
If you work for the FAA there's a 61% chance you are the root cause of the death of GA. Eat a bag of  :banana:

Offline Peanut1

• Nickel Member
« Reply #24 on: January 15, 2021, 02:49:35 PM »
no you aren't, the plane and everybody on board is.

semp
You are brilliant semp. Dont give this slob the time of day. His profession is destroying general aviation.

Offline Rich46yo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #25 on: January 20, 2021, 10:32:26 AM »
During this time of torment, we as pilots, both virtual and real, might want to pause to remember that 12 years ago tomorrow, Captain Chesley Sullenberger and First Officer Jeff Skiles demonstrated exceptional cool and skill to save 155 lives.

Figures he is ex USAF.  :D
"flying the aircraft of the Red Star"

Offline TryHard

• Nickel Member
« Reply #26 on: January 26, 2021, 07:25:28 PM »
  Where else were they gonna go?”
/Rant

Well there's a lot of buildings in NYC...

I've seen what happens when a pilot panics and tries to pull off "the impossible turn". It happens almost annually out of FXE and North Perry.

Have you ever had to decide as a pilot that you're going to do a forced water landing in water that is below freezing with some 150+ souls on board? What happens in the simulator after you hit the water?
Not sure how cold the waters are in the simulator but id reckon you had your copilot with a bucket of ice water ready right?

You just want all the attention don't you boy

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #27 on: January 26, 2021, 07:55:38 PM »

I've seen what happens when a pilot panics and tries to pull off "the impossible turn". It happens almost annually out of FXE and North Perry.

Have you ever had to decide as a pilot that you're going to do a forced water landing in water that is below freezing with some 150+ souls on board? What happens in the simulator after you hit the water?
Not sure how cold the waters are in the simulator but id reckon you had your copilot with a bucket of ice water ready right?

Anyone in that position has to take what is given. There are usually no second choices in such an instance. He did what he had to do... just as anyone else would have to do. Make it or not. He just happened to make it. Luck and a lot of things happened to be on his side. A lot of folks survived. There are other pilots who have done so as well and just didn't accept the lime light.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
    • Twitch: Twitch Feed
« Reply #28 on: January 26, 2021, 08:37:46 PM »

To be honest, I think after Busher's call-out, the silence is deafening.
i7-12700k | Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 | EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | H150i Capellix

FlyKommando.com

Offline Nefarious

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #29 on: January 27, 2021, 09:18:57 AM »
This thread has all the lulz
There must also be a flyable computer available for Nefarious to do FSO. So he doesn't keep talking about it for eight and a half hours on Friday night!