Author Topic: Hard to help a new guy.  (Read 2763 times)

Offline 428CJ

• Copper Member
Hard to help a new guy.
« on: January 31, 2021, 01:03:21 PM »
 I've tried to help obviously new people several times, most of the time they cant get their mike to work, you see they keyed it but nothing comes through. tried again today, after a few minuets he logged off and hasnt returned. Some can text. I'm wondering if there should be something on the sign in screen or somewhere obvious to new people telling them how to get the mic working.

Offline Peanut1

• Nickel Member
Re: Hard to help a new guy.
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2021, 01:33:12 PM »
This is huge.

Offline DaddyAce

• Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2021, 01:56:13 PM »
I've tried to help obviously new people several times, most of the time they cant get their mike to work, you see they keyed it but nothing comes through. tried again today, after a few minuets he logged off and hasnt returned. Some can text. I'm wondering if there should be something on the sign in screen or somewhere obvious to new people telling them how to get the mic working.

Yes, I've noticed this too.

Offline ULPink

• Copper Member
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2021, 11:20:25 AM »
My uncle said he would be willing to make comprehensive videos to help new people get going. 

I still think giving new people a spit 5, F4F, a high eny tank, m3, and lvt for free would go a long way to getting people addicted and eventually turning them into subscribers. as well as give us more targets! =)
Check Six!

Offline shppr01

• AvA Staff Member
  • Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2021, 11:54:29 AM »
I have found that if I plug my headset in after I log on, it won’t work. I have to plug in and then start the game. Maybe this is true for some others.
Ingame : Shipper

Never put your gun down to hug a grizzly.

Offline ULPink

• Copper Member
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2021, 11:57:52 AM »
I find there are settings for just about everything, people just have to dig around for them.
Check Six!

Offline turt21

• Nickel Member
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2021, 01:17:35 PM »
My uncle said he would be willing to make comprehensive videos to help new people get going. 

I still think giving new people a spit 5, F4F, a high eny tank, m3, and lvt for free would go a long way to getting people addicted and eventually turning them into subscribers. as well as give us more targets! =)

+1 on this one

Offline lunaticfringe

• Nickel Member
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2021, 01:45:55 PM »
most new guys i've tried to help won't even respond
To Be Prepared for War Is The Most Effectual Means Of Preserving Peace (George Washington)

Offline Goat1

• Nickel Member
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2021, 09:22:45 PM »
I have found that if I plug my headset in after I log on, it won’t work. I have to plug in and then start the game. Maybe this is true for some others.

I have the same issue, I just have to remember to plug headset in before I start game.

Goat
"Go in close, and when you think you are too close, go in closer." — Major Thomas B. 'Tommy' McGuire, USAAF

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2021, 03:13:28 AM »
So very true! No reply on any text channel nor vox, public or private.
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline DaddyAce

• Silver Member
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2021, 09:28:27 AM »

I've done the same without reply....maybe they need a brief comms tutorial as part of first starting the game.

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2021, 12:20:26 PM »
Tried that too, PM or Range so they should see and telling how to use the text radio. No answer.
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline diaster

• Copper Member
Re: Hard to help a new guy
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2021, 04:59:21 PM »
Perhaps when they pay they get an email with links to information and urging them to read the material and to learn how to use the game. It seems many just log on and start experimenting with no clue as to how to fire guns off battleships, how to talk on the microphone, how to check six and even fly!
The other day, I saw one guy that was flying around in a goon dropping random troops over bases (from 10k). I quickly directed him to avoid a local seal clubber and return to the base. He obviously didn’t realize that the base (town) had to be white flagged and deacked etc. I gently spent 20 minutes trying to explain to him how the game worked. I haven’t seen them online since.
"Harden The F_ck Up”

Offline FESS67

• Silver Member
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2021, 01:16:21 AM »
Perhaps the radio menu is not intuitive.

Pressing / or derivatives of [key + /] is not intuitive. 

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2021, 02:43:35 AM »
Perhaps the radio menu is not intuitive.

Pressing / or derivatives of [key + /] is not intuitive.
Not to mention that the key instructions are for the US keyboard layout. The Nordic variations differ quite a lot on the right hand side, have no personal experience with the others. And then there's Arabic, Cyrillic, Greek, Hebrew etc...

Kotisivuni