Author Topic: Hard to help a new guy.  (Read 2767 times)

Offline fd ski

• Silver Member
      • http://www.northotwing.com/wing/
Re: Hard to help a new guy.
« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2021, 02:58:56 AM »
right point being raised.

my recommendations:
1. after installation - microphone configuration so that new guy can check that it works. Part of configuration should be an information that F12 is to be used to communicate with those near.

2. languages - not everyone speaks english, some poorly so. Maybe something where player can select languages they speak and it can be looked up in roster ? This way when new guy starts and on the list it says poor bastard speaks polish i can try to help him out. ( reading language of his computer could be a good tip here. ) Maybe a compiled list of those who can introduce in given  language ?

3. enemy new guy indicator ? I have no joy in shooting new guys, there is no challenge to it. Maybe someone who is playing on their first month should have a star or something visible for their enemies ? Personally i'd fake my attacks - it might make a introduction more warming rather then getting slammed in the bellybutton for left and right. It won't discourage everyone but some might help the guy out.

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2021, 06:48:03 AM »
People are broken... number 3 would make a new person's life miserable. They would be slaughtered. Those that would run... would now go pounce on him. This includes quite a few so called vets too.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2021, 06:49:40 AM by Shuffler »
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Online Meatwad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2021, 06:52:49 AM »
Change #3 for friendly view only, then maybe friendlies would be more likely to help
See Rule 19- Do not place sausage on pizza.
I am No-Sausage-On-Pizza-Wad.
Das Funkillah - I kill hangers, therefore I am a funkiller. Coming to a vulchfest near you.
You cant tie a loop around 400000 lbs of locomotive using a 2 foot rope - Drediock on fat women

Offline Puma44

• Platinum Member
« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2021, 09:00:43 AM »
Not to mention that the key instructions are for the US keyboard layout. The Nordic variations differ quite a lot on the right hand side, have no personal experience with the others. And then there's Arabic, Cyrillic, Greek, Hebrew etc...
I find there are settings for just about everything, people just have to dig around for them.

That’s the problem, “having to dig around for them”.

All gave some, Some gave all

Offline 999000

• Silver Member
« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2021, 09:37:47 AM »
I'm actually going to try to get my mic working!!!!

Offline Mongoose

• Silver Member
      • Kentwood Station
« Reply #20 on: February 14, 2021, 09:42:12 AM »
3. enemy new guy indicator ? I have no joy in shooting new guys, there is no challenge to it. Maybe someone who is playing on their first month should have a star or something visible for their enemies ?

Not for enemy players, but for friendly players.  Have an indicator so that teammates can spot a rookie and take him or her under wing. 
My Aces High fan site:
www.kentwoodstation.com

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #21 on: February 14, 2021, 09:42:23 AM »
Finding the key settings is one thing, adapting them to your keyboard mapping is another. Especially if you find a trainer who uses a different keyboard layout than yours. The aviation language adds another layer of complexity, the terminology can be puzzling even in one's native tongue. Like the Finnish "sorto" which translates both "drift" and "tyranny" among other meanings. Not every potential AH'er is a pilot.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2021, 09:45:38 AM by Bizman »
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
« Reply #22 on: February 24, 2021, 12:14:47 AM »
Finding the key settings is one thing, adapting them to your keyboard mapping is another. Especially if you find a trainer who uses a different keyboard layout than yours. The aviation language adds another layer of complexity, the terminology can be puzzling even in one's native tongue. Like the Finnish "sorto" which translates both "drift" and "tyranny" among other meanings. Not every potential AH'er is a pilot.

This is not a problem for any Trainer to fix/help the newcomers...as long as the Trainers are made aware of the fact that the newcomer is of different dialect

Hope this helps.... I've been through this and experiencing it for over 25+ years...

TC

Edit:  well it was not a problem when I retired back in 2016....but for me personally now it is still not a problem...I  can not speak for any of the current training corps members...hell, I don't even know who is and isn't training these days.... but I'm still being asked for help and I fly on very limited hours because of my...well either you know what I have been dealing with since 2003 or you don't....I've grown tired even explaining it....
« Last Edit: February 24, 2021, 12:26:44 AM by TequilaChaser »
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #23 on: February 24, 2021, 01:27:46 AM »
This is not a problem for any Trainer to fix/help the newcomers...as long as the Trainers are made aware of the fact that the newcomer is of different dialect

Hope this helps.... I've been through this and experiencing it for over 25+ years...

TC

Edit:  well it was not a problem when I retired back in 2016....but for me personally now it is still not a problem...I  can not speak for any of the current training corps members...hell, I don't even know who is and isn't training these days.... but I'm still being asked for help and I fly on very limited hours because of my...well either you know what I have been dealing with since 2003 or you don't....I've grown tired even explaining it....
That's amazing! The US layout is pretty much similar to the Nordic one for the letters from a to z but the location of signs is very different. Quote, Tilde, Slash, Equals, Brackets left/right... They're all default keys in AH but on my keyboard they can't be used by the name. Even the location may be confusing to describe as there's both extra and missing keys on the right hand side. Things get a bit easier when you get the new guy to the Keyboard Settings where he can compare his keystrokes with the layout image.
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #24 on: February 24, 2021, 01:12:22 PM »
Maybe there should be a greenhorn squad these newbies are automatically joined to that is run by a vet who is comp AH and has the time and patience to assist.

That sure ain't me lol

Eagler
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline fd ski

• Silver Member
      • http://www.northotwing.com/wing/
« Reply #25 on: February 24, 2021, 01:31:48 PM »
Maybe there should be a greenhorn squad these newbies are automatically joined to that is run by a vet who is comp AH and has the time and patience to assist.

That sure ain't me lol

Eagler

Back in Warbirds days trainers would have designated "watch hours" where they would take new guys under their wings. I thought it was a good practice. Fact that trainer stood out due to his nickname also made him easy to find/etc.

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
« Reply #26 on: February 24, 2021, 04:47:41 PM »
Back in Warbirds days trainers would have designated "watch hours" where they would take new guys under their wings. I thought it was a good practice. Fact that trainer stood out due to his nickname also made him easy to find/etc.

AW had the same.... no matter how hard and long I tried to get it implemented here...just never could get any others on board with it
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline Banshee7

• Platinum Member
« Reply #27 on: February 26, 2021, 08:59:27 AM »
Since my return, I've been logging more hours in the TA than anywhere else.  I've run into a few new guys here and there, but I'm usually by myself (or with a friend that recently joined).  I think one of the biggest issues I've run into is what the OP referenced = communication.  I hardly ever get a response even after explaining how to operate the radio/chat bar.  I think an arena message prompting how to use the radio might be effective?  I also think requiring new players to log "x" amount of minutes in the Training Arena before entering the MA would also be effective.  The only problem with that is what I mentioned earlier and how empty the TA usually is.  Literally, I've been the only one there almost every time I've logged in.

<S>
-=Most Wanted=-

||||||||

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #28 on: February 26, 2021, 09:21:58 AM »
Just guessing here but I don't think you will get ppl to pay $15 a month and limit them to the empty TA room so they can "learn" how to play a flight sim game..

I am old so less sensitive than most to the hand holding mentality the younger seem to need with just about everything these days...

Do what most of us did- die way more often than we lived until that is reversed with time and experience

It was costing me $29.95 a month when I was getting blown to bits every sortie

Eagler

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline Banshee7

• Platinum Member
« Reply #29 on: February 26, 2021, 09:34:35 AM »
Just guessing here but I don't think you will get ppl to pay $15 a month and limit them to the empty TA room so they can "learn" how to play a flight sim game..

I am old so less sensitive than most to the hand holding mentality the younger seem to need with just about everything these days...

Do what most of us did- die way more often than we lived until that is reversed with time and experience

It was costing me $29.95 a month when I was getting blown to bits every sortie

Eagler

Oh, I acknowledge the fact that an empty TA would not keep them.  That's why my suggestions for requiring "x" number of minutes in the TA would be minimal --> long enough to read an arena message on how to setup radio/comms and maybe flight controls.  The current TA arena message is the same old rules they've always had and encouraging players to change to Knights to get help...and there's no one there to help.  Also, that requirement would take place during their 2 weeks free trial, therefore spending the $14.95 would not be an issue. 

My friend is trying Aces High for the first time, and was completely discouraged that other day because of the steep learning curve.  He has no experience in flight sims other than console games. 

Offering some sort of helping hand to newer ("younger") players can only help retain them.

<S>
-=Most Wanted=-

||||||||