Author Topic: How to stop water pipes from freezing  (Read 3019 times)

Offline MiloMorai

• Platinum Member
How to stop water pipes from freezing
« on: February 18, 2021, 07:33:53 AM »
Leave that tap slightly open so there is water flowing thru the pipes.

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
Re: How to stop water pipes from freezing
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2021, 08:04:36 AM »
Leave that tap slightly open so there is water flowing thru the pipes.

No power.... no water. Drained the lines and still have a broken hot and cold pipe. Water sat in a low place.

When a group like ERCOT, through their ignorance, harms folks.... they should be held accountable.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2021, 09:18:12 AM »
And how often exactly does it happen over there that the temperatures go below freezing point?

We have a fixed compensation chart for electricity outages, starting from 12 hrs.

As the forecast told yesterday that the temperature would go down to -35 C/ -31 F, my wife scheduled the dishwasher to run three hours past sleeping time. No frozen pipes so far this winter.
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
    • Twitch: Twitch Feed
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2021, 09:58:25 AM »
When a group like ERCOT, through their ignorance, harms folks.... they should be held accountable.
Ahh the joys of privatization.
i7-12700k | Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 | EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | H150i Capellix

FlyKommando.com

Offline Nefarious

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2021, 10:53:17 AM »

Ahh the joys of privatization.

As a Non-Profit Corporation with a board of directors, they *should* be able to face legal action for negligence. 

I wonder what recourse Venezuelans and other countries do that have state controlled energy providers and have week/month long black outs?  :headscratch:
There must also be a flyable computer available for Nefarious to do FSO. So he doesn't keep talking about it for eight and a half hours on Friday night!

Offline TheBug

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2021, 11:47:58 AM »
And how often exactly does it happen over there that the temperatures go below freezing point?

"Over there" is a big place.  If you are referring to the US there are plenty of places, I'm so lucky to live in one of them, that have been going below freezing for weeks without issue and it is normal.  Current Texas weather is very far from normal.  But there are more issues contributing than just weather alone.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2021, 11:49:54 AM by TheBug »
“It's a big ocean, you don't have to find the enemy if you don't want to."
  -Richard O'Kane

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2021, 12:11:03 PM »
"Over there" is a big place.  If you are referring to the US there are plenty of places, I'm so lucky to live in one of them, that have been going below freezing for weeks without issue and it is normal.  Current Texas weather is very far from normal.  But there are more issues contributing than just weather alone.
Sorry for the inaccuracy. I know that there's places in the US where the weather is like here (favoured by Finnish immigrants) and I know that there's places where the weather can be colder or hotter. In this thread I was referring to Texas as it seems to be the place where the biggest issues currently are.

Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline TheBug

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2021, 12:29:17 PM »
No problem, just wanted to make sure you didn't think we are all as soft as Texans.  :salute
“It's a big ocean, you don't have to find the enemy if you don't want to."
  -Richard O'Kane

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
    • Twitch: Twitch Feed
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2021, 12:55:35 PM »
No problem, just wanted to make sure you didn't think we are all as soft as Texans.  :salute
:banana:
i7-12700k | Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 | EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | H150i Capellix

FlyKommando.com

Offline mikeWe9a

• Copper Member
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2021, 02:32:38 PM »
My understanding of the situation is that while ERCOT oversees and coordinates the various utility companies, they don't have the authority to order certain things, such as winterizing production facilities - they make recommendations (and have made winterization recommendations since similar occurrences in 1988 and 2011) but can't force the utility companies to carry them out.

If that is indeed correct, then it would be the individual utilities that would be responsible, though the legislature might wish to give ERCOT more authority in some areas.

Mike

Offline Wolfala

• Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2021, 06:01:08 PM »
I’m kind of laying this one at the feet of those who set out your building standards for construction. If you’re busting pipes, then they should’ve been insulated to begin with. Especially new construction when it’s 1/10 of 1% of the total job cost for R20 and pipes.

Sorry this isn’t a once in 100 year event because I’ve been to Houston and south Louisiana when there was snow on the ground and I was sitting outside on the runway with a radio.

If you’re cheap once you pay twice and it’s no different than anything else in life

the best cure for "wife ack" is to deploy chaff:    $...$$....$....$$$.....$ .....$$$.....$ ....$$

Offline rhovey

• Zinc Member
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2021, 06:29:21 PM »
Good point. It does work up north, But our pipes are 4 to 5 feet below ground. I remember living in Florida, there was no such thing as a cold glass of water from the faucet in the summer. Hopefully this cold snap won't last very long. If you are trying to stay warm remember, carbon monoxide will kill you, make sure you have proper ventilation when using heaters. God Speed Texas.

Hove from Maine

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2021, 06:42:10 PM »

We have a fixed compensation chart for electricity outages, starting from 12 hrs.

As the forecast told yesterday that the temperature would go down to -35 C/ -31 F, my wife scheduled the dishwasher to run three hours past sleeping time. No frozen pipes so far this winter.

The current problem for millions of people here is extreme cold with no power for heat.

Offline NatCigg

• Gold Member
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2021, 12:14:32 AM »
Generator, to power surge board, to power cord spliced into furnace power.   :uhoh

:salute

Offline NatCigg

• Gold Member
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2021, 12:17:17 AM »
Good point. It does work up north, But our pipes are 4 to 5 feet below ground. I remember living in Florida, there was no such thing as a cold glass of water from the faucet in the summer. Hopefully this cold snap won't last very long. If you are trying to stay warm remember, carbon monoxide will kill you, make sure you have proper ventilation when using heaters. God Speed Texas.

Hove from Maine

+100

:salute