Author Topic: How to stop water pipes from freezing  (Read 3018 times)

Offline NatCigg

• Gold Member
Re: How to stop water pipes from freezing
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2021, 01:13:48 AM »
As a Non-Profit Corporation with a board of directors, they *should* be able to face legal action for negligence. 

I wonder what recourse Venezuelans and other countries do that have state controlled energy providers and have week/month long black outs?  :headscratch:

Probably in everyone's best interest to take this one on the chin and work on make changes so this does not happen in the future.  Like increasing capacity.

Very political topic here, blame can be spread around.

:salute

Offline Meatwad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2021, 06:13:34 AM »
I have personally looked into a backup natural gas generator, but for like everyone else cant afford it right now
See Rule 19- Do not place sausage on pizza.
I am No-Sausage-On-Pizza-Wad.
Das Funkillah - I kill hangers, therefore I am a funkiller. Coming to a vulchfest near you.
You cant tie a loop around 400000 lbs of locomotive using a 2 foot rope - Drediock on fat women

Offline hazmatt

• Silver Member
« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2021, 07:48:09 AM »
My family did fine during the water and power outage but then again growing up on a farm I think we are more prepared then most.

You can get a propane heater for less then $100 at tractor supply at 750 watt inverter that you can run off your car to run most things at Walmart for $49 and some aqua-tainers. In addition to that we have a bi fuel generator which we never even had to go to as the inverter was enough.

Best quote of the whole incident was when my 6 year old daughter asked me: "Daddy, is the power on or off?" as she was watching a dvd with lamps in the house on, running off the inverter, house heated by propane heater and wife cooking in the kitchen on a camp type stove. We did run low on water as I only filled one of the aqua-tainers but we had bottled water as a backup that we never had to use.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2021, 07:50:34 AM by hazmatt »

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2021, 08:01:34 AM »
I’m kind of laying this one at the feet of those who set out your building standards for construction. If you’re busting pipes, then they should’ve been insulated to begin with. Especially new construction when it’s 1/10 of 1% of the total job cost for R20 and pipes.

Sorry this isn’t a once in 100 year event because I’ve been to Houston and south Louisiana when there was snow on the ground and I was sitting outside on the runway with a radio.

If you’re cheap once you pay twice and it’s no different than anything else in life

Insulation works to keep warm or cold in. If it is freezing and you have insulation on a water pipe that has no water flow.... it will freeze. That is if it is freezing long enough.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2021, 08:03:59 AM »
No problem, just wanted to make sure you didn't think we are all as soft as Texans.  :salute

I had to laugh at this statement coming from someone from new york.
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline TheBug

• Platinum Member
« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2021, 08:11:39 AM »
I had to laugh at this statement coming from someone from new york.

I think you're confusing NY with NYC.  I'll take WNY toughness to Texans every time. 
“It's a big ocean, you don't have to find the enemy if you don't want to."
  -Richard O'Kane

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #21 on: February 19, 2021, 10:02:42 AM »
I think you're confusing NY with NYC.  I'll take WNY toughness to Texans every time.

Good luck with that.  :aok
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline fuzeman

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #22 on: February 19, 2021, 10:17:09 AM »

:aok  Reminds me of our 70’ of snow. Can’t recall the last day above 30 degrees.
Dealt with a frozen heating pipe a few years ago, not fun.
Second WNY reference I saw today, wonder how large the WNY contingent is?

Dad built this house in the mid 1950s, hard to go back and insulate all those pipes.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2021, 10:18:43 AM by fuzeman »
Far too many, if not most, people on this Board post just to say something opposed to posting when they have something to say.

"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG54

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
    • Twitch: Twitch Feed
« Reply #23 on: February 19, 2021, 10:20:49 AM »
Us CNYers need some love too!  :rock
i7-12700k | Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 | EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | H150i Capellix

FlyKommando.com

Offline TheBug

• Platinum Member
« Reply #24 on: February 19, 2021, 10:33:57 AM »
Us CNYers need some love too!  :rock

As long as you're this side of the Hudson.   :salute
  -Richard O'Kane

Offline TheBug

• Platinum Member
« Reply #25 on: February 19, 2021, 11:29:28 AM »

Dad built this house in the mid 1950s, hard to go back and insulate all those pipes.

My house was built in the 1890s. It is damn cold!!  :old:
  -Richard O'Kane

Offline fuzeman

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #26 on: February 19, 2021, 11:39:02 AM »
My house was built in the 1890s. It is damn cold!!  :old:

Uncles house was from 1850s or so it was told and that place got cold too. Really have to work to get those places insulated well.

Along with politics and religion, upstate vs down there probably shouldn’t be discussed too much :rofl
 :bolt:
Far too many, if not most, people on this Board post just to say something opposed to posting when they have something to say.

"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG54

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #27 on: February 19, 2021, 12:06:46 PM »
Uncles house was from 1850s or so it was told and that place got cold too. Really have to work to get those places insulated well.

Along with politics and religion, upstate vs down there probably shouldn’t be discussed too much :rofl
 :bolt:

LOL I am fully aware that not everyone in that state is as looney as those in NYC.
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline NatCigg

• Gold Member
« Reply #28 on: February 19, 2021, 12:28:29 PM »

See little round top battle of Gettysburg.  New York reinforced Michigan to save the hill from Texas.

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #29 on: February 19, 2021, 03:51:19 PM »
See little round top battle of Gettysburg.  New York reinforced Michigan to save the hill from Texas.

It took two well equipped states....  :aok

Back when Hurricane Harvey hit, the news was following a 16 year old young man who was using his john boat to rescue folks who were stranded in their homes and cars. The news man said, "you know, you are a hero". The young man told him, "no... I'm just a Texan".
« Last Edit: February 19, 2021, 04:10:29 PM by Shuffler »
80th FS "Headhunters"