Author Topic: USB Button box support for plug n play devices  (Read 1122 times)

Offline Ciaphas

• Silver Member
      • DethKlokDave
USB Button box support for plug n play devices
« on: March 14, 2021, 02:07:48 PM »
Can we get support for USB button boxes (generic controllers) so they can be mapped like keys(Keyboard) instead of controllers(HOTAS) ?

<S>
Dave

10.(Jabo)/JG 26 Nuisance Raids Scenario

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
Re: USB Button box support for plug n play devices
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2021, 02:11:09 PM »
used to have one custom made years ago, it worked perfectly.

think as long as windows recognize it, it will show up in ah3.

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline Ciaphas

• Silver Member
      • DethKlokDave
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2021, 02:15:02 PM »
used to have one custom made years ago, it worked perfectly.

think as long as windows recognize it, it will show up in ah3.

semp

Semp,

It recognizes it but it will not allow me to keybind it. It instead wants to treat it like a joystick and allow mapping very few options (views, axis etc... ). I want to avoid using a third party profiler but I might have to set one up for Aces High. I haven't really played in the last year or so do to work, family and general real life obligations. So, I'm not sure what has changed in the game and what has remained the same..

<S>
Dave

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2021, 03:01:23 PM »
Why do you wish to map it to keys?

HiTech

Offline Ciaphas

• Silver Member
      • DethKlokDave
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2021, 08:04:09 PM »
To allow for a minimal use of the keyboard, except for chat. I use button boxes to handle a vast majority of functions in other games and would love to have the same type of flexibility in this game.

Dave

Offline Drano

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2021, 09:26:20 PM »
I've been able to map almost everything needed for AH from within the map controllers section of the clipboard. If it has DX buttons the game will see them. Just select the controller at the top and double click the button on that controller that you want to map. (You'll see the buttons turn green as you press them.) You'll be presented with a dialog box to map that button to pretty much whatever straight up key command in the game whether it be for flight or views or vehicles.

The only limitation I've found is for the dot commands. Salvo, delay, downtime, etc. They'd be macros and it won't do that. In order to assign a macro to a button press you're gonna have to use some other program. I use the VKB and CH softwares for my stick and throttle and that's how I've had to cover the macros. It is what it is. There are other universal programs that will do it. I'm not sure but I think joystick gremlin will do macros.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

FSO flying with the 412th Friday Night Volunteer Group

Offline Ciaphas

• Silver Member
      • DethKlokDave
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2021, 10:41:35 PM »
I've been able to map almost everything needed for AH from within the map controllers section of the clipboard. If it has DX buttons the game will see them. Just select the controller at the top and double click the button on that controller that you want to map. (You'll see the buttons turn green as you press them.) You'll be presented with a dialog box to map that button to pretty much whatever straight up key command in the game whether it be for flight or views or vehicles.

The only limitation I've found is for the dot commands. Salvo, delay, downtime, etc. They'd be macros and it won't do that. In order to assign a macro to a button press you're gonna have to use some other program. I use the VKB and CH softwares for my stick and throttle and that's how I've had to cover the macros. It is what it is. There are other universal programs that will do it. I'm not sure but I think joystick gremlin will do macros.

Drano,

Man, I got it working. It was operator error.  :rofl

Offline Drano

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2021, 11:23:36 PM »
Drano,

Cool!

"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline JimmyD3

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2021, 11:25:54 PM »
The Logitech G13 has the macro features, very useful, plus it includes a countdown timer and a stopwatch of you need them in game. :P
Kenai77
CO Sic Puppies MWK
USAF 1971-76

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2021, 11:33:28 PM »
Drano,

lol was wondering about that, only time i use the keyboard is to type.

semp

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2021, 11:43:37 AM »
Drano,

Just checking that you really didn't need to be able to map to keys? Because I still can not understand a reason to map to keys?

HiTech

Offline Ciaphas

• Silver Member
      • DethKlokDave
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2021, 02:06:08 PM »
Just checking that you really didn't need to be able to map to keys? Because I still can not understand a reason to map to keys?

HiTech

It's good the way it currently is.

Offline Drano

• Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2021, 09:14:32 PM »
Drano,

Hey I was looking at the Joystick Gremlin site and it will do macros too. The software is pretty much for either consolidating multiple controllers or custom built controllers like yours into one programming suite. I know you said you wanted to avoid using any software but I wonder why after going to the trouble of putting your box together you'd limit yourself? Just so you know that kinda stuff is out there if you need it. Looks like it might be a tad harder to deal with than CH but nowhere near as steep a learning curve as VKB's. Took me quite a while to get the hang of that and I've only scratched the surface e what it'll do.

"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2021, 01:36:33 PM »
It seems to me stuff like Gremlin's main usage would be for macros.  You don't need to consolidate to 1 controller for most sim type games that I have seen.

Although having said that, the one thing I miss from having a full X52 is the ability to do shift states between the throttle and the stick.  As it stands now with me using an X52 throttle and a VKB stick, I can't do multiple-button macros between them, it would either need to be both buttons on the stick, or both buttons on the throttle. 

I wonder if I could get that functionality through Gremlin.  I don't really have a pressing need for it, but it might be ok someday, or maybe my throttle needs to have an "accident".  :devil

I haven't even touched the profiler for my VKB stick.  I was proficient with the X52 software, but the VKB one is frankly terrifying.  I was reading the documentation for the stick as the profiler was installing, and funnily, I got to a line that said, "The VKB corporation was started by a group of engineers that split off from <another company I can't remember> just as I launched the profiler, and I looked at the screen and thought, "Yup.  This was most definitely designed by engineers."  :O :lol

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2021, 02:05:21 PM »
easiest way to do macros is buy a keyboard that supports it.

semp