Author Topic: stick settings  (Read 706 times)

Offline turt21

• Nickel Member
stick settings
« on: March 24, 2021, 05:31:18 PM »
FYI I know Ive this problem for years. I get a lot of nose bounce and over reactiog rudder controls and was wondering if anyone would share the stick settings ?

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
Re: stick settings
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2021, 06:26:42 PM »
I personally have the Axis scaling all turned up 100% across the top, except for my rudder pedals which are mostly 100% across top from 30% across going right

I have a tendency every since I started playing back in late October 1999, to use combat trim in level flight no stick/rudder input I wait til I've reached 300 to 325 mph IAS WHITE NEEDLE....red needle is TAS

Then I turn combat  trim off.....

This will make it to where you get in a dogfight and start losing speed and Energy,  your nose will not  be bouncing all over the place trying to fight the automatic combat trim adjustments for your speed

You are turning/ maneuvering not flying straight which in my personal experience is all CT is really good for...

A gentle steady pull always works best, plus when you get slow and dive you will actually pick up E faster than you would using CT (combat trim)

Hope this helps.....I  know it has with more than I can remember who I taught all through these years

Best of luck

TC
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline TequilaChaser

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2021, 06:35:53 PM »
I forgot to post that it also stops the nose  bounce when dropping notches off flaps

Just be sure to instantly bring flaps in faster than your speed is picking up when nose pointing downward

It takes practice
« Last Edit: March 24, 2021, 06:38:56 PM by TequilaChaser »
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline SIK1

• AH Training Corps
  • Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2021, 07:39:38 PM »
Turt21, stick settings are different for everyone what somebody likes, the next guy doesn't know how he flies like that.

You need to identify if the issues are controller induced, caused by the operator, or a little of both.

You can try a little damping on the pitch axis to help with the nose bounce, and on the yaw axis to help with the rudder.

You may find that you like a fully custom scaling  set-up, or like me you use no scaling on any axis. I do have a touch of damping on my pitch, and roll axis because when I get out of my chair it will kick the auto pilot off if I don't.

The only way to find out is to play with different settings, If you can identify what the issues are caused by it helps point you in the areas that need attention.

If you want we could meet up in the TA and I might be able to help you resolve some of the issues.

:salute
Sik
444th Air Mafia since Air Warrior
Proudly flying with VF-17

"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG54

Offline TequilaChaser

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2021, 08:14:52 PM »
Turt21,
<snip>
If you want we could meet up in the TA and I might be able to help you resolve some of the issues.

:salute
Sik

I think this is best and am happy my hand picked replacement showed up

Thanks Sik

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2021, 04:48:28 PM »
My settings are like TC - 100% across all settings- I look for instant 1 to1 when making adjustments.. but that might take a new/ decent stick

I have trim on a rotor on the throttle

I spin that when CT is off usually during a t&b a2a

Eagler
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline 1stpar3

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2021, 02:19:01 AM »
My settings are like TC - 100% across all settings- I look for instant 1 to1 when making adjustments.. but that might take a new/ decent stick

I have trim on a rotor on the throttle

I spin that when CT is off usually during a t&b a2a

Eagler
Safe to assume, Combat Trim, like Stall Limiter..handi-capping use,is detrimental for getting maximum Performance in AH? I knew about Stall limiter, issue. Just never saw the Combat Trim being posted, as in YES, or Nah, this works?! Makes sense, YOU SQUIRMY some ma ma squeak  :rofl 
  WHA HA HA HA!  Now I know your secret!  :devil LOOK OUT ON MONDAY!!! ALSO....why d you go with scaling on Rudder and not Pitch and Roll? Reducing or trying to impede "rudder shooting/aiming"?

Love Ya Brother,🤔
BW1st/ULcap
"Life is short,break the rules,forgive quickly,kiss slowly,love truly,laugh uncontrollably,and never regret anything that made you smile."  “The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”- Mark Twain

Offline TequilaChaser

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2021, 09:34:04 AM »
Feet resting on pedals you want to avoid unnecessary rudder input...

Just little bit of deadband and/ or little bit of scaling

But like Eagler posted

I want instant 1 to 1 100 %, that doesn't need anything but gentle input and still can really spin (roll, bank, dive, etc)

When you need it

Offline NikonGuy

• Copper Member
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2021, 01:50:35 AM »
I have had that problem for years too .. AKAK helped me with stick settings but I have found I have had to do this scaling on elevators and rudders.

<S>
You break 'em, I fix 'em.
RAAF Retired Aircraft Maintenance Technician, General Dynamics F111, Lockheed P3C, Douglas A20G & DB7