Author Topic: Tank Perks....Needed?  (Read 1344 times)

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
Re: Tank Perks....Needed?
« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2021, 01:53:56 PM »
One sortie I'm getting 1 shot kills, the next, 4 rounds do nothing.  :headscratch:

This is one thing I see people talking about a lot ingame that seems to me like a basic understanding issue.

My understanding of tanks, and please do correct me if I'm wrong, is damage is completely based on the angle it hits your armor at.  If the angle is steep enough, it penetrates and does damage.  If it does not penetrate, it does 0 damage.  Not some percentage of damage if it doesn't penetrate, 0.  So if it does not penetrate, you can sit there and bounce 100 rounds off that same location at that same angle or shallower and it will never kill the tank.

This seems to me to be a huge misconception among GVers.

As far as tank perks, meh.  Does it really matter if it's the current mostly T34s or mostly T2s?

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline JimmyD3

• Gold Member
« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2021, 06:52:55 PM »
This is one thing I see people talking about a lot ingame that seems to me like a basic understanding issue.

My understanding of tanks, and please do correct me if I'm wrong, is damage is completely based on the angle it hits your armor at.  If the angle is steep enough, it penetrates and does damage.  If it does not penetrate, it does 0 damage.  Not some percentage of damage if it doesn't penetrate, 0.  So if it does not penetrate, you can sit there and bounce 100 rounds off that same location at that same angle or shallower and it will never kill the tank.

As far as tank perks, meh.  Does it really matter if it's the current mostly T34s or mostly T2s?

Wiley.

I fully understand the ballistics issue with AP rounds or HE rounds for that matter. I understand that where you hit the gv is just as important as the angle of the projectile to the armor. I am not refer to those types of situations. What I am seeing is an AP round fired at a T34/85 hitting it just above the 3rd bogie wheel from the front, killing the gv, then 6 hours later the same shot on another T34/85 and nothing happens.
Kenai77
CO Sic Puppies MWK
USAF 1971-76

Offline RotBaron

• Gold Member
« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2021, 08:48:35 PM »
t.  If the angle is steep enough, it penetrates and does damage.  If it does not penetrate, it does 0 damage.  Not some percentage of damage if it doesn't penetrate, 0.  So if it does not penetrate, you can sit there and bounce 100 rounds off that same location at that same angle or shallower and it will never kill the tank.

Are you sure that’s true?
They're casting their bait over there, see?

Offline 8thJinx

• Silver Member
« Reply #18 on: May 14, 2021, 10:25:31 PM »
...most tank kills occur inside of 1500 yrds. 

Not from my gunsight.

B-24H Liberator SN 294837-T, "The Jinx", 848th BS, 490th BG, 8th AF, RAF Station Eye, delivered 1943.  Piloted by Lt. Thomas Keyes, named by by his crew, and adorned with bad luck symbols, the aircraft survived the entire war.

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #19 on: May 14, 2021, 11:28:38 PM »
Are you sure that’s true?

Pretty sure at least on AP.  If it penetrates, damage is variable but it's my understanding if it doesn't, it's literally 0.

That's why it always confuses me when people grumble about bouncing 4 or 5 off a guy.  If you hit at the same angle, it did nothing.

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline Puma44

• Platinum Member
« Reply #20 on: May 15, 2021, 08:12:06 AM »
Not from my gunsight.

That’s for sure!  I’d like to sign up for your tank sniper class please.

All gave some, Some gave all

Offline RichardDarkwood

• Silver Member
« Reply #21 on: May 15, 2021, 11:41:07 AM »
That’s for sure!  I’d like to sign up for your tank sniper class please.

Just go sit in the enemy Vehicle hanger while its down then wait for it to come back up.
"Show me on the doll where the bad man touched you"---Betty

https://www.twitch.tv/hounds_darkwood
CO--The Bad Guys