Author Topic: Time to upgrade.  (Read 1850 times)

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
Re: Time to upgrade.
« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2021, 12:37:36 PM »
Price of a decent video card is the holdup for vr today

Need a min of a 1070 IMO and they are highway robbery these days

I would get the t1600m hotas, ch peds and trackir for now

To go from a mouse to that will be quite the jump

Eagler
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline mikeWe9a

• Copper Member
« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2021, 12:38:25 PM »
It seems that prices should begin to drop at least somewhat soon.  NVidia has allegedly shifted all 3060 production to their "light hash rate" model, and is supposedly going to shift more of their other card production to LHR as well.  Crypto prices have dropped significantly lately, and hopefully there won't be as much demand for the cards as miners for a while.

Mike

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #17 on: June 28, 2021, 02:17:23 PM »
Thing is even that 2060 is on the ridiculous list these days. Going for double what I paid for it new. The whole GPU thing is gonna settle out soon.... Uhh.. Right?
Hopefully so. The Nvidia ##60's have always been the lowest "gaming level" cards for an affordable price, now you can get an entire X-Box console with a pad for the price of one. For the price of a more serious gaming rig you can get a PS5 with VR and other stuff.

Since mid-nineties or even longer the price of a "sane" high end PC was a bit less than 2000 euros or the equivalent sum in the previous monetary unit. That held true until the virtual coin rush. Now it's tough to get an entry level gamer for that.
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline Lazerr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #18 on: June 28, 2021, 02:54:07 PM »
Is lists that card as VR ready, but apparently it isn't?

Might hold off on VR till I can dump a new card in it when things settle down, and just work on stick flying with max graphics for now.

The reason for the upgrade was pretty much the fact I had a ten year  old Dell with a shifty harddrive and everything was simply outdated.  38maw helped me out with a card a few years back, and I put a power supply and ram in it, but it was just time to take a step up. 
« Last Edit: June 28, 2021, 02:56:52 PM by Lazerr »

Offline Lazerr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #19 on: June 28, 2021, 03:48:15 PM »

Might hold off on VR till I can dump a new card in it when things settle down, and just work on stick flying with max graphics for now.

The reason for the upgrade was pretty much the fact I had a ten year  old Dell with a shifty harddrive and everything was simply outdated.  38maw helped me out with a card a few years back, and I put a power supply and ram in it, but it was just time to take a step up.
  basically I'm assuming I'll be able to run any title with this card, with plenty of eye candy.  Ah3 I would assume maxed out and smoothly, minus the VR.  Maybe I'll go VR and a beefier card when the prices get back to normal.  Still excited for this, should be here before the weekened!

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #20 on: June 28, 2021, 03:52:53 PM »
  basically I'm assuming I'll be able to run any title with this card, with plenty of eye candy.  Ah3 I would assume maxed out and smoothly, minus the VR.  Maybe I'll go VR and a beefier card when the prices get back to normal.  Still excited for this, should be here before the weekened!

I run a 1060 and have no trouble with my oculus Rift. Just a quick look and I found that the 1660 is 12% faster than the 1060 so I dont see why it shouldn't run VR.

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #21 on: June 29, 2021, 01:31:05 AM »
Given that both the resolutions and refresh rates of VR are increasing and that the starting point already is higher than that of a standard 1920x1080 60 Hz monitor, I'd take the "VR ready" statement with a grain of salt.

That said, the GTX1660 Super is a very fast card, capable to run a 2560x1440 144 Hz monitor at full speed with ease. If I'm right it may be the fastest Nvidia card currently available without ray tracing.
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni