Author Topic: T-34/85 dominance  (Read 5783 times)

Offline save

• Gold Member
Re: T-34/85 dominance
« Reply #60 on: August 10, 2021, 01:51:16 AM »
https://chris-intel-corner.blogspot.com/2012/07/wwii-myths-t-34-best-tank-of-war.html

Generally, in a contest at normal fighting ranges between a Panzer IV H and the T34-85, the winner was the one who spotted and got first hit on the other.

What are the normal fighting ranges in AH, and what ammo can be used ?
My ammo last for 6 Lancasters, or one Yak3.
"And the Yak 3 ,aka the "flying Yamato"..."
-Caldera

Offline Vinkman

• Gold Member
« Reply #61 on: August 10, 2021, 02:45:06 PM »

Maybe an adjustment could be something like this:

(Image removed from quote.)

To be honest, I'd like to see the tiger 2 in use more. It's so expensive that no one will drive it off a base.

maybe 50 or 75 for a Tiger2 That would still be 5X to 7X more expensive than a Panther or a T-34. I think I have 5 tries at a Tiger2 with a T-34 out in the country side I'd win. We need a number that get's the T2 drivers off the base.

I like the idea of T-34s and Panthers costing the same. It would be nice to see them battle on equal footing to see which people really prefer. 

Also the The Sherman with the Rockets is the one that should be perked. I think that's the 75mm. Why?  Because it can flatten a town in no time with some resupply boxes. No other GV can do that.

I think the current usage is based on the current perks. So as you change the perks and the usage changes, the perks can be tweaked. might take an iteration or two to dial it in. But as always well done Snailman
Who is John Galt?

Offline Mano

• Gold Member
« Reply #62 on: August 10, 2021, 03:30:12 PM »
I like the idea of lowering the cost of the Panther.  Maybe down to 8 perks.  Every GV'er can afford that.

I will get a lot more Panther kills with my M-8 if there are more running around the arena.  :D :D :D  ......... and they count !

btw......... the T-34/85's are really hard to kill. ......and maybe raise them to a 5.....so we see more Panzers ..... :embarrassed:       :banana:

:salute

« Last Edit: August 10, 2021, 03:33:26 PM by Mano »
Everything is funny as long as it is happening to somebody else.
- Will Rogers (1879 - 1935)

Offline RotBaron

• Gold Member
« Reply #63 on: August 10, 2021, 04:28:46 PM »
https://chris-intel-corner.blogspot.com/2012/07/wwii-myths-t-34-best-tank-of-war.html

Generally, in a contest at normal fighting ranges between a Panzer IV H and the T34-85, the winner was the one who spotted and got first hit on the other.

What are the normal fighting ranges in AH, and what ammo can be used ?

Might have been true IRL WW2, but it’s not in AH…
They're casting their bait over there, see?

Offline delta7

• Zinc Member
« Reply #64 on: August 10, 2021, 06:38:19 PM »
The t34/85 is really the only tank that is not correctly perked in my opinion. It should be perked more than the firefly for one thing. It is way faster, has a 85 mm gun with allot faster turret, and harder to kill. Why is it even close? The m4 76 is one perk most of time but sometimes 2 and the t34/85 is 3 perks most of the time I believe. Now look at the range in perks between the t2 or the tiger and the t34/85. Just don't seem right only 1 or 2 perks between the m4 76 and the t34/85 compared to range of perks going on up to the tiger one or the tiger 2. I really think the perks for the t34/85 should be at least 8.

Offline JimmyD3

• Gold Member
« Reply #65 on: August 11, 2021, 09:04:49 AM »
To be honest, I'd like to see the tiger 2 in use more. It's so expensive that no one will drive it off a base.

maybe 50 or 75 for a Tiger2 That would still be 5X to 7X more expensive than a Panther or a T-34. I think I have 5 tries at a Tiger2 with a T-34 out in the country side I'd win. We need a number that get's the T2 drivers off the base.

I like the idea of T-34s and Panthers costing the same. It would be nice to see them battle on equal footing to see which people really prefer. 

Also the The Sherman with the Rockets is the one that should be perked. I think that's the 75mm. Why?  Because it can flatten a town in no time with some resupply boxes. No other GV can do that.

I think the current usage is based on the current perks. So as you change the perks and the usage changes, the perks can be tweaked. might take an iteration or two to dial it in. But as always well done Snailman

I disagree, for the old timers, you choose the best tank for the job, M4 w/rockets to take down a town, T2 for long range defense, T34/85 for general combat. Then there is the preferences, some like the Panzer optics over the T34/85 optics, then you have the ordinance selection. There are numerous reasons for selecting a specific tank for a specific mission. Perk cost is just one of many, and with most of the old gv-ers having anywhere from 15,000 to 30,000 vehicle perk points, that is a minor issue.
Kenai77
CO Sic Puppies MWK
USAF 1971-76

Offline Vinkman

• Gold Member
« Reply #66 on: August 11, 2021, 03:16:02 PM »
I disagree, for the old timers, you choose the best tank for the job, M4 w/rockets to take down a town, T2 for long range defense, T34/85 for general combat. Then there is the preferences, some like the Panzer optics over the T34/85 optics, then you have the ordinance selection. There are numerous reasons for selecting a specific tank for a specific mission. Perk cost is just one of many, and with most of the old gv-ers having anywhere from 15,000 to 30,000 vehicle perk points, that is a minor issue.

well the Old GVers don’t make up all the players in the game. 😁
so while some don’t care about perk price, the general population does. proof?  if you drop perk cost of a T2 significantly, you’ll see it used more. I’ll bet money on that. 😉

B-29s and 262s can change who wins a map. thats why they cost 200 perks a piece.  Does a Tiger2 change the outcome of the map vs a T-35-85?  That difference isn’t anywhere near 197 perks worth of difference. players like me who have 500 gv perks would never take a T2 out. So why have a T2 if everyone is too afraid to lose it? 
Who is John Galt?

Offline RotBaron

• Gold Member
« Reply #67 on: August 11, 2021, 04:33:25 PM »
Last time I used a Tiger II, it went poof 30 seconds out of the hangar.  Didn’t seem like it was a rear or side shot, but it was one shot.

There went 20% of my perks

Offline Vinkman

• Gold Member
« Reply #68 on: August 11, 2021, 05:01:16 PM »
Last time I used a Tiger II, it went poof 30 seconds out of the hangar.  Didn’t seem like it was a rear or side shot, but it was one shot.

There went 20% of my perks

If T-34s become more expensive folks will be less inclines to lose 200 or 100 perks on a T2.
Who is John Galt?

Offline RotBaron

• Gold Member
« Reply #69 on: August 11, 2021, 06:56:46 PM »
If T-34s become more expensive folks will be less inclines to lose 200 or 100 perks on a T2.

If Tiger 2’s perks were dropped you’d see more of them of course…

Their armour really isn’t that OP except in the front. Long range fights with them too.

Side armor is no better than any other tank from what I can tell

Offline RUSH1

• Nickel Member
« Reply #70 on: August 12, 2021, 07:33:34 AM »
Side armor is no better than any other tank from what I can tell

It's better.  The key is knowing where to hit the T2.  You obviously were killed by someone who did.
“Concentrated power has always been the enemy of liberty.” - Ronald Reagan

Offline atlau

• Silver Member
« Reply #71 on: August 12, 2021, 08:10:11 AM »
Jagdanthers are even rarer than t2s.

Up the perk price for t34/85s. They are they are one of the hardest to kill with a stupa!:)

And with more panzer and Sherman's around it would he interesting to see m8s and m18s more in play!

But seriously perk planes or gvs should be expensive enough that over time the losses cost you more perks than you earn from that vehicle.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2021, 08:12:57 AM by atlau »

Offline Cluzig

• Copper Member
« Reply #72 on: August 12, 2021, 11:15:17 AM »
Is the use of HVAP and quite a generous amount of those shells part of the issue with the T34/85? I'm just thinking about a different angle than making it a 8 perk ride.

A balancing act could be to start issuing rare but special APC rounds like the pzgr 40 out to german tanks perhaps.

Offline SmokinLoon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #73 on: August 12, 2021, 12:12:44 PM »
The T34/85 is the best tank in the game. I can't seem to find details on the ammo availability of the HVAP ammo but it seems like it is too abundant.

The T34/85 really should be perked a bit higher. The Firefly and the Jagdpanzer should both be perked lower.

There are a number of things I SMH at in terms of perks, ENY, etc, but alas I just play the game. The biggest beef I have is the quality of the optics are not modeled. Soviet options should be similar to looking through a glass of iced tea. Instead, they enjoy the same clarity of German optics which is a travesty. 
Proud grandson of the late Lt. Col. Darrell M. "Bud" Gray, USAF (ret.), B24D pilot, 5th BG/72nd BS. 28 combat missions within the "slot", PTO.

Offline JimmyD3

• Gold Member
« Reply #74 on: August 12, 2021, 01:51:03 PM »
The T34/85 is the best tank in the game. I can't seem to find details on the ammo availability of the HVAP ammo but it seems like it is too abundant.

The T34/85 really should be perked a bit higher. The Firefly and the Jagdpanzer should both be perked lower.

There are a number of things I SMH at in terms of perks, ENY, etc, but alas I just play the game. The biggest beef I have is the quality of the optics are not modeled. Soviet options should be similar to looking through a glass of iced tea. Instead, they enjoy the same clarity of German optics which is a travesty.

Not even close to the same, especially in low light. German optics, in game, are significantly better than the Russian.  :cheers:
Kenai77
CO Sic Puppies MWK
USAF 1971-76