Author Topic: running AH through Oculus  (Read 2054 times)

Offline Clueso

• Zinc Member
running AH through Oculus
« on: July 31, 2021, 07:17:38 PM »
I messed up my options by installing AH in Oculus.  I have a long running AH subscription that I don't really want to close.  I didn't realize that I needed to start AH with the computer and choose run Oculus.  Now my subscription is up and Oculus wants to get paid.  What is the best way to move forward.  Thanks for any ideas.

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
Re: running AH through Oculus
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2021, 10:49:51 PM »
cancel it, start oculus then start the old AH3 game on your computer. It will ask you if you want to run oculus and click yes. Should load your original account.

Offline Clueso

• Zinc Member
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2021, 05:29:59 PM »
Currently if I start Aces high from the normal desktop it doesn't ask me if I want to run oculus. I put the oculus head set on and click on library then AH.  It tries to load a faded out AHII.   I have tried uninstalling from Oculus and deleting AH from the software folder in Oculus on the hard drive but then I can't use Oculus to run AH.  I've reinstalled it and now this is where I am. 

Offline hazmatt

• Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2021, 06:02:35 PM »
make sure you're running DX11 and not DX9 if you're using VR

Offline Clueso

• Zinc Member
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2021, 06:20:30 PM »
Thanks running dx 12

Offline hazmatt

• Silver Member
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2021, 06:28:24 PM »
I mean the aces high dx11 executable  file

Offline Clueso

• Zinc Member
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2021, 07:12:22 PM »
When I look at the Oculus library the nice looking AH front page is there and then it starts loading a really faded looking AH11 that says it's an unknown app.

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2021, 08:18:55 PM »
When I look at the Oculus library the nice looking AH front page is there and then it starts loading a really faded looking AH11 that says it's an unknown app.

First, right click the icon you use to start AH, select properties and be sure it lists "aceshigh11.exe" as the executable file, there is an "aceshigh9.exe" that you dont want to use for VR.

If that is good double click on the "oculus" icon to start that. Dont put your headset on yet. Once that is loaded and you have the "Please buy these games!" page up  :rolleyes: or the Oculus Home screen as they call it, double click on the AH icon to start that one. It will load the first splash screen and a small popup window will ask if you want to use your oculus, click yes and you should be good to go.

Offline Clueso

• Zinc Member
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2021, 09:27:32 PM »
I get a "you have a pending hardware issue that is preventing you from entering VR. Please check that your headset and sensor are connected."  options to close or device settings.  In settings I see my headset and controllers.  So I uninstalled the Pretty AH in the library and left the faded AH11.  Same result.  I checked the properties and the proper AH is lined up to start.

Offline Clueso

• Zinc Member
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2021, 09:30:20 PM »
Tried to start it again and the faded AH11 has the spinning circle of time...

Offline Clueso

• Zinc Member
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2021, 09:36:40 PM »
So I closed down Oculus and there was the question do you want to use VR.  Started the process over from scratch this time minusing Oculus and it started.  I seems repeatable.  Now if I can just get Oculus to remember the stick settings.  Dang what a wrestling match.

Offline Easyscor

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2021, 05:47:55 AM »
Look in your settings folder. VR AH has different files for the same controllers. I.E. CHfighterstick.cfg vs VRCHfighterstick.cfg. Back up you entire settings folder as insurance, then copy your plain controller .cfg file, and rename it with the VR prefix. That will save a lot of time.
You might also look for an Oculus version of the same settings folder if you've made changes you want to save.

All the .cfg files can be read in Notepad.
Easy in-game again.
Since Tour 19 - 2001

Offline Drano

• Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2021, 05:54:13 AM »
Take Oculus out of the loop insofar as starting the game. You don't need to do that thru Oculus but it has to be running first to play in VR. AH DX11 version is aware you have an Oculus or Steam headset. Make a shortcut to the desktop for the DX11 version. Oculus running but headset off, double click the AH DX11 shortcut. You'll get the pop-up asking if you want to use your Oculus headset. Click yes to play in VR or no to play on the desktop.

FWIW I have AH in Oculus library and have no problem starting it there other than I'll have to lift the headset to deal with the dialog box. Without doing that it's gonna act like it's frozen in the headset. Reason being is waiting on you to react to the dialog box on your monitor.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

FSO flying with the 412th Friday Night Volunteer Group

Offline Clueso

• Zinc Member
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2021, 02:25:24 PM »
Yeah I peak under and click yes.  It works. 

Offline 1stpar3

• Gold Member
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2021, 03:20:17 AM »
So issue resolved?
        HOPE SO!!!!!! Dale, has set up AH, with BAR NONE, best integration of VR, into a Flight Sm.!!! Hat switch Views are supported!!! Would hate to see you suffer and not Experience what I do, in VR!!!

I click on Desk Top Icon, for Voice Attack-as Administrator....The Oculus Icon...NEXT AH Icon(all on Desktop shortcuts)...THEN put on Head Set! Center View..and click YES..at use your Vr headset...NO ISSUES. Going through Steam was a Pain..far worse than the Oculus Library...but BOTH are not needed! As Multiple Brothers have mentioned!
I love my AcesHigh...and it feels like cheating against NON VR USERS...Bless their hearts! All you need to see, is the DCS Community, VEHEMEATHLY AGAINST allowing TIR or Hat Switch Views, in conjunction with VR!   Eh, talk about "Got it made"? All VR users ask for is, the same playing field as Hat Switch/Non TIR users have access too?!   PROOF in MY EYEs...VR IS BOSS!!!!   Dale, says, "Hold My Scotch"!     
« Last Edit: August 08, 2021, 03:34:16 AM by 1stpar3 »
"Life is short,break the rules,forgive quickly,kiss slowly,love truly,laugh uncontrollably,and never regret anything that made you smile."  “The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”- Mark Twain