Author Topic: running AH through Oculus  (Read 2055 times)

Offline Drano

• Platinum Member
Re: running AH through Oculus
« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2021, 05:44:22 AM »
There's a guy over on the IL-2 forums that has developed a mod aptly called NeckSafer. It works for IL-2 and DCS. Needs SteamVR to work. The goal is to be able to increase the rate of change as with TIR in your VR headset so you're not breaking your neck trying to check your 6. The vast majority of players there are using TIR so none of this is a problem for them. I tried suggesting simply allowing the hat views back when I started messing with IL-2 and was mercilessly pounded by the "reality" crowd. But VR at 1:1 seated in a flight sim is just about painful after a while. Checking your 6 is almost impossible at best. This guy fixed that, much to their chagrin. Now looking around in VR is much easier and the playing field is a bit more level because of it.

His earlier versions worked great in IL-2 and needed a little tweaking for DCS. He keeps improving it. The latest version is a beta that actually uses curves to adjust like TIR. Earlier versions you had to put in values where if you moved this many degrees it'd move that many degrees as you like. You can use the hat switches as well assigning ammount of travel as you like. I haven't tried the beta myself but it sounds great. It only works in the horizontal plane tho. Not in the vertical, so that plane is still 1:1. Says he could do it but it's apparently a limitation of SteamVR. He's working on it tho. This isn't for AH, BTW.

Link:
https://forum.il2sturmovik.com/topic/67985-simple-tool-to-check-your-six/

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: August 08, 2021, 05:48:10 AM by Drano »
"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

FSO flying with the 412th Friday Night Volunteer Group

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2021, 07:22:42 AM »
That's their loss..they allow mods/hacks like this but don't want to code hat views into their "game" in the name of "realism"

Very pretty games, too bad game play isn't on the same level as the graphics

Eagler

"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline Drano

• Platinum Member
« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2021, 07:59:11 AM »
This isn't so much a mod of the game itself as it is to SteamVR. If it were a direct mod of the game, in almost all of the servers it wouldn't be allowed. If you're using mods there's a big red warning when you start the game telling you to turn them off before playing online. Oh you can still play online with them, it's just the servers that allow them are few and generally unpopulated.

Some of the mods I'd used were actually so well done they incorporated them into the game. One was a guy created 4k cockpit art for every plane including everything from buttons on the upholstery to the instruments. Man that one was like eyesight to the blind. One of the ones I use now (offline only) that gives far superior clouds than the game does, I think is about to be another one. They've announced an update to the clouds and I've seen no traffic in the thread about that mod in months so I'm just assuming here.

Some mods aren't really "mods" that CAN be used and are really handy. All the planes can have a girlie pic displayed on the instrument panel. Somebody created an image pack to swap those out that has notes for the engine settings for each plane. With the extra engine management you have to do this is great when you're switching from plane to plane as they're all different.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

FSO flying with the 412th Friday Night Volunteer Group

Offline 1stpar3

• Gold Member
« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2021, 05:31:35 AM »
That's their loss..they allow mods/hacks like this but don't want to code hat views into their "game" in the name of "realism"

Very pretty games, too bad game play isn't on the same level as the graphics

Eagler
I feel ya!!! It IS a Start, is it not?  Either way DCS,Nor IL-2, can NEVER :rofl CLAIM SIM AUTHORITY...as far as TOTAL IMERSSION! Dont have Hat Views...can use TIR Views "GAME THE GAME(as Drano has observed) CURVES"....Whats the difference? Can use View Commands, if you dont use TIR, you can "Scale" view curves, if you do... and Mimics" same control mappings, as using HAT VIEWS?  FU!VR is an advantage..but if you can use TIR Scaling.. why not have an AH like Hat Switch Integration? Not to mention the # of players supported on HT's Server...SUPPORTS WAY MORE Players, in comparison to DCS's/IL-2' Servers :uhoh  I wish I could let EVERY ONE, experience ACESHIGH like I SEE/PLAY it!!! HANDS DOWN #1
« Last Edit: August 09, 2021, 05:50:45 AM by 1stpar3 »
"Life is short,break the rules,forgive quickly,kiss slowly,love truly,laugh uncontrollably,and never regret anything that made you smile."  “The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”- Mark Twain

Offline Clueso

• Zinc Member
« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2021, 05:20:28 PM »
I am still having problems.  I think it's the order I originally set this up.  I know just enough about computers to be dangerous.  I installed oculus software.  If I start the oculus software I'm taken to kind of a waiting room.  Originally I searched for found and installed Aces High thinking I would just run it from there.  Wrong.  I've an account that's ran continuously for 15 years.  Then  the trial period ran out and they wanted a credit card to keep going.  I already pay. So I uninstalled the app and marked it hidden.  Then I worked around trying find the sweet spot to get AH to start and ask if I want VR. (It did that in the beginning, but I was to dumb to know that was it.)  Now I start oculus and it takes me to a waiting room kind of a place.  I have to peak under and click on a "do you want to run Oculus" button (kind of a see through screen).  It's not anything like what you guys describe.  So now I'm wondering if I should bag this Oculus and sign up for Steam.  I tried to fly today for about 3 hours and it keeps forgetting stick settings and all that.  I think it's just the screwy way I have to load it.  If someone had some time to walk me through it maybe I could get somewhere. I'm willing and I want too, but it's a steep mountain.

Offline Clueso

• Zinc Member
« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2021, 05:36:12 PM »
So today's problems were constantly having to remap the controls and I never could get the rudder to work.  I can see it working on the screen because I've checked see controls, but the rudder doesn't move.  This time I loaded AH with the mouse by looking at the desktop through the goggles and clicking on AH and yes to use VR. 

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2021, 07:07:53 PM »
So today's problems were constantly having to remap the controls and I never could get the rudder to work.  I can see it working on the screen because I've checked see controls, but the rudder doesn't move.  This time I loaded AH with the mouse by looking at the desktop through the goggles and clicking on AH and yes to use VR.

There are two sets of controls, VR and NON VR. They are completely separate.

If you setup controls with out the head set on you are setting up NON-VR controls. You must setup the controls with the headset on to set up VR controls.

A work around I did was set up everything with out the VR. Once saved.... and save often.... you will have files in the settings folder like "joystickhotaswarthog.jsm" and "chprothrottle.jsm". Copy and paste these files, rename them "VR_joystickhotaswarthog.jsm" and drop them into the same settings folder. (just add VR_ to the front of each controller file you have)

I created a desktop icon for the DX11 version of the game. I double click this icon it opens a white square with a small popup window in the center that say "do you want to start VR?". I click yes and it starts oculus and then the game. At this point I can click through the buttons on a smaller version of the game screen to login, and select my arena. I then put my headset on , fly and die often. I can get screen shots for you tomorrow if you think that will help.

Offline Clueso

• Zinc Member
« Reply #22 on: August 10, 2021, 07:43:04 PM »
Saving stick settings should help.  When I start AH11 it doesn't do for me what it does for you.  It just starts AH as normal.  That's where the trouble starts.  I have to start Oculus to get the white window with do you want to us VR.  I installed steam just now to see what that looked like.  Then I tried AH again in VR and it worked, but not the normal way you guys do it.  I started it from the VR goggles looking at my desktop.  I didn't even know I could do that.  It remembered most of the settings so I only had to tweak 3 buttons.  I'm going to try it again right now just for the heck of it.

Offline Clueso

• Zinc Member
« Reply #23 on: August 10, 2021, 08:09:51 PM »
Going to desktop seems to work today.  I've done it twice.  If it continues I might be able to work it.  It seems day to day it acts different.  I hope to get a system.  Certainly awesome when it does work.

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #24 on: August 10, 2021, 08:31:23 PM »
Saving stick settings should help.  When I start AH11 it doesn't do for me what it does for you.  It just starts AH as normal.  That's where the trouble starts.  I have to start Oculus to get the white window with do you want to us VR.  I installed steam just now to see what that looked like.  Then I tried AH again in VR and it worked, but not the normal way you guys do it.  I started it from the VR goggles looking at my desktop.  I didn't even know I could do that.  It remembered most of the settings so I only had to tweak 3 buttons.  I'm going to try it again right now just for the heck of it.

Are you sure the icon you click to start really does point to the aceshigh11.exe file? Right click the icon and select properties to see the target file

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #25 on: August 10, 2021, 11:32:09 PM »

If your Oculus is plugged in when you start Aceshigh11.exe you should get a dialog box asking if you want to use Oculus. If you don't see that then check the properties on your shortcut as Fugi suggested.

To run the regular install of AH from Oculus go to settings and make sure 'run from unknown sources' is enabled, (but you don't need to run from Oculus. It's just an option)

You need to be in VR when you set up your controls for VR.

If your rudder doesn't work check if you assigned rudder trim by mistake instead of yaw.

Let us know if you still have issues.

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #26 on: August 11, 2021, 09:47:06 AM »
Going to desktop seems to work today.  I've done it twice.  If it continues I might be able to work it.  It seems day to day it acts different.  I hope to get a system.  Certainly awesome when it does work.

Simply call me 817-431-8840 I'm sure in a minute or 2 we can find out he step you are missing.

Dale

Offline Mister Fork

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #27 on: August 11, 2021, 10:57:43 AM »
My son runs AH via his Oculus Quest with no issues. You do need a Steam account - with it up and running. This is what he does:

1. Start and log into STEAM. Ensure all steam components are updated (including Steam VR)
2. Start the Oculus app.
3. Power on your Oculus headset
4. Start Aces High - when prompted, say yes.
5. Oculus will connect to Aces High through SteamVR.
6. Main menu will come up in the headset - you're in.
"Games are meant to be fun and fair but fighting a war is neither." - HiTech

Offline Clueso

• Zinc Member
« Reply #28 on: August 11, 2021, 04:13:32 PM »
I did get steam going.  No idea what it does exactly, but I can now start AH and it's working.  I'm very thankful to everyone that has patiently helped me.  It's working properly with no weird wep on wep off and forgetting settings.  YAY!!

Offline Mister Fork

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #29 on: August 11, 2021, 06:15:20 PM »
Glad to hear Clueso - Oculus uses SteamVR to connect Aces High VR framework - kind of a middleware to Oculus. It's also why you can use your Oculus to play Steam VR games! See you up in the skies!
"Games are meant to be fun and fair but fighting a war is neither." - HiTech