Author Topic: planes being main-gunned by tanks  (Read 7886 times)

Offline RichardDarkwood

• Silver Member
Re: planes being main-gunned by tanks
« Reply #105 on: September 12, 2021, 04:43:07 AM »
Thank you Dick.

Coogan

Your welcome coogar
A yappy back seater like Jester wasn’t popular or fun to fly with, more of an unnecessary distraction than anything else---Puma44

https://www.twitch.tv/hounds_darkwood
CO--The Bad Guys

Offline Mongoose

• Silver Member
      • Kentwood Station
« Reply #106 on: September 12, 2021, 10:10:30 AM »
Hooray for the tank that main guns a plane...it's about all the defense the tank has except for the machine gun.  If you get main gunned, tell the tank player "good shot you SOB" and laugh it off.   Get a brand new plane that is free loaded with eggs and go bomb him...sheesh.

One-eye

:aok :salute
My Aces High fan site:
www.kentwoodstation.com

Offline Vinkman

• Gold Member
« Reply #107 on: September 13, 2021, 09:53:50 PM »
killing gvs feom the air was so easy they changed the icon rules to give gv a chance. you all forgot how easy bomb****ing was. Bomb-tatding made gv-ing a waist of time.  the only people who decry the current icon set up/hiding are bomb****s.

No need to give them an easier time.
what next?  longer range and more accurate base ack to reward the pony and Dora runners? 

learn to find GVs and shut up. 
Who is John Galt?

Offline Devil 505

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #108 on: September 14, 2021, 12:23:15 AM »
killing gvs feom the air was so easy they changed the icon rules to give gv a chance. you all forgot how easy bomb****ing was. Bomb-tatding made gv-ing a waist of time.  the only people who decry the current icon set up/hiding are bomb****s.

No need to give them an easier time.
what next?  longer range and more accurate base ack to reward the pony and Dora runners? 

learn to find GVs and shut up.

The icons were changed with the introduction of the Storch to make it somewhat useful, not because bombing GV's was "too easy". But it was easier in AH2, I'll give you that. But easier bombing of GV's is a GOOD THING. It promoted more players to fly anti-GV aircraft and generated air combat away from base captures. If it was so bad for GV'ers then,they would have all quit 10 years ago, but there were always plenty of tanks for the bomber pilots to kill.

The GV'ers have just gotten too comfortable with their invisible tanks in AH3 and feel they are entitled to their unassailable hide-and-seek gameplay, no matter how much it is a detriment to the game as a whole.
Kommando Nowotny

FlyKommando.com

Offline JimmyD3

• Gold Member
« Reply #109 on: September 14, 2021, 08:51:57 AM »
The icons were changed with the introduction of the Storch to make it somewhat useful, not because bombing GV's was "too easy". But it was easier in AH2, I'll give you that. But easier bombing of GV's is a GOOD THING. It promoted more players to fly anti-GV aircraft and generated air combat away from base captures. If it was so bad for GV'ers then,they would have all quit 10 years ago, but there were always plenty of tanks for the bomber pilots to kill.

The GV'ers have just gotten too comfortable with their invisible tanks in AH3 and feel they are entitled to their unassailable hide-and-seek gameplay, no matter how much it is a detriment to the game as a whole.

Wow, your hatred of gv's knows no bounds, good thing you don't Control the game. :O
Kenai77
CO Sic Puppies MWK
USAF 1971-76

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #110 on: September 14, 2021, 12:07:16 PM »
The icons were changed with the introduction of the Storch to make it somewhat useful, not because bombing GV's was "too easy". But it was easier in AH2, I'll give you that.

Personally, I was fine with the icon range changes in AH2. Yes, it made locating vehicles a bit more difficult, but still wasn't crippling, and it gave the Fi 156 purpose.
Today, the Storch is being used much less, because his doubled icon view range doesn't help him any more as icons are now often totally hidden by trees and even building.

It's the combination of new terrain and GV dar that, in my opinion, really messed things up.
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline Vinkman

• Gold Member
« Reply #111 on: September 14, 2021, 12:37:42 PM »

Giving the Storch a purpose was not the only reason for gv Icon change. learn to find gvs by actually spotting the vehicle instead of it ICON. Gvs under trees are not invisible.  You wave to fly low and slow.  If that makes you susceptible to ground fire, perfect!  why should be able to fly above ground fire range in an A-20, see the icons and just egg them?  what do you guess the plane to gv kill ratio was before the rule change?  what do think it is now?   It much better balance gameplay now.
Who is John Galt?

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #112 on: September 14, 2021, 01:59:23 PM »
what do you guess the plane to gv kill ratio was before the rule change?  what do think it is now?   It much better balance gameplay now.

Well, don't keep us guessing, what are the ratios now vs then?

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #113 on: September 14, 2021, 02:07:18 PM »

...ruh roh...

- oldman

Offline Devil 505

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #114 on: September 14, 2021, 02:12:24 PM »
Wow, your hatred of gv's knows no bounds, good thing you don't Control the game. :O

I don't hate GV's. I hate the way most of the players use them. And I hate that their methods have become the prevalent mode of game play.

Personally, I was fine with the icon range changes in AH2. Yes, it made locating vehicles a bit more difficult, but still wasn't crippling, and it gave the Fi 156 purpose.
Today, the Storch is being used much less, because his doubled icon view range doesn't help him any more as icons are now often totally hidden by trees and even building.

It's the combination of new terrain and GV dar that, in my opinion, really messed things up.

Yes, the change was not crippling in AH2, at first. I think the demographic shift that came with the fallout from the 12-hour rule, turned the Storch icon rule change from a minor issue into a proper problem because the bulk of the players who played just to fight left and were replaced with those who played to capture. Once AH3 arrived, That problem became crippling because GV's went from difficult to find to nearly impossible. The GV dar was an attempt to shift the scale back in the air/ground balance but not well enough, in my opinion. I still maintain that reverting the icon rules to the pre-Storch settings will help a great deal.

Giving the Storch a purpose was not the only reason for gv Icon change. learn to find gvs by actually spotting the vehicle instead of it ICON. Gvs under trees are not invisible.  You wave to fly low and slow.  If that makes you susceptible to ground fire, perfect!  why should be able to fly above ground fire range in an A-20, see the icons and just egg them?  what do you guess the plane to gv kill ratio was before the rule change?  what do think it is now?   It much better balance gameplay now.

How is it better balanced now when the dedicated GV killer aircraft are rarely used any more? Where are the IL-2's, Hurri2D's, and Ju 87G's? In the hangar, that's where. When was the last time anyone rolled a 190F-8 to do anything other than rocket down a radar? What are the kill ratios for carpet bombing GV's now vs. then? I bet it's even worse now for GV's because dumping many bombs in the general area of a suspected GV is likely to be much more successful than a targeted strike against a known one.

Kommando Nowotny

FlyKommando.com

Offline Vinkman

• Gold Member
« Reply #115 on: September 14, 2021, 03:05:52 PM »

How is it better balanced now when the dedicated GV killer aircraft are rarely used any more? Where are the IL-2's, Hurri2D's, and Ju 87G's? In the hangar, that's where. When was the last time anyone rolled a 190F-8 to do anything other than rocket down a radar? What are the kill ratios for carpet bombing GV's now vs. then? I bet it's even worse now for GV's because dumping many bombs in the general area of a suspected GV is likely to be much more successful than a targeted strike against a known one.

where are you getting your data from? 
Who is John Galt?

Offline Vinkman

• Gold Member
« Reply #116 on: September 14, 2021, 03:07:11 PM »

Haha, I asked him to guess. I don’t have it.  Was hoping you would jump on it though. 😁

Who is John Galt?

Offline Devil 505

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #117 on: September 14, 2021, 03:16:41 PM »
where are you getting your data from?

The same place you did, apparently.  :devil
Kommando Nowotny

FlyKommando.com

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #118 on: September 15, 2021, 09:12:55 AM »
I couldn't help it, I just had to...

K/D is by year. The new icon system was introduced in January 2012, the switch to AH3 in September 2016

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #119 on: September 15, 2021, 10:22:01 AM »
Lusche, you are a treasure.   :salute