Author Topic: planes being main-gunned by tanks  (Read 7845 times)

Offline lunaticfringe

• Nickel Member
Re: planes being main-gunned by tanks
« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2021, 01:31:20 PM »
I just had an idea that might help in cases where a plane is not flying directly towards a tank's gun.

What if aircraft ranges could not be seen in their icons from tanks? That would make long distance deflection shots harder if they don't have a good range estimate, right?

sounds good
To Be Prepared for War Is The Most Effectual Means Of Preserving Peace (George Washington)

Offline lunaticfringe

• Nickel Member
« Reply #16 on: September 01, 2021, 01:36:15 PM »
Just because something didn't happen doesn't mean it can't happen.  This game simulates the flight characteristics of airplanes. The game also simulates the flight characteristics of the bullets fired by those airplanes, and the bullets fired by other guns, including the main guns of tanks.  So it is entirely possible, however unlikely, for a tank to fire its main gun and hit an airplane.  The game simulates the flight path of an airplane.  The game simulates the flight path of the tank shell when it is fired.  If the airplane and the tank shell meet, the game simulates the damage the airplane would take from such a meeting.   

You are asking that the simulation be artificially changed so that it no longer accurately simulates the flight path of the two objects, in order to prevent such a meeting from taking place.  This is out of bounds.  Now if you have evidence that the program is not accurately simulating the flight path of the objects, then you have a legitimate complaint.

Besides, it did happen in real life:

http://defensionem.com/tank-shoots-down-a-plane/

was probably an IL2 which is what i was flying when BT-b shot me down
To Be Prepared for War Is The Most Effectual Means Of Preserving Peace (George Washington)

Offline lunaticfringe

• Nickel Member
« Reply #17 on: September 01, 2021, 01:44:12 PM »
A whine has been recorded.

Can an 88 kill a plane or a gv?? Yes, enough said.

if you can't say anything constructive don't say anything at all. was not a 88 that killed me.

Offline lunaticfringe

• Nickel Member
« Reply #18 on: September 01, 2021, 01:47:03 PM »
i have main gunned a plane or 2 in the past-but i still think it's wrong and to easy to do. 1 plane i main gunned was a IL2- coming right at me no way to miss.

Offline JimmyD3

• Gold Member
« Reply #19 on: September 01, 2021, 03:05:13 PM »
if you can't say anything constructive don't say anything at all. was not a 88 that killed me.

You missed the point, 88's kill planes and gv's, oh yeah and tanks kill planes and gv's. No difference, either way you can die. I main gun planes fairly often, if they line up in the sight, boom they're dead.
Kenai77
CO Sic Puppies MWK
USAF 1971-76

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #20 on: September 01, 2021, 03:39:40 PM »
before you start saying your usual BS saying don't fly so low-some players main gun planes like it's part of their breathing. it's not realistic as many people have said--in WWII tanks never main-gunned planes.

HiTech, is there any thing in the game or server programming that can be done to stop tanks main-gunning planes. it's gotten to be tiresome

The people that claim planes were never shot down by a tank's main gun are doing so out of ignorance.
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline 100Coogn

• Gold Member
« Reply #21 on: September 01, 2021, 03:58:31 PM »
before you start saying your usual BS saying don't fly so low-some players main gun planes like it's part of their breathing. it's not realistic as many people have said--in WWII tanks never main-gunned planes.

HiTech, is there any thing in the game or server programming that can be done to stop tanks main-gunning planes. it's gotten to be tiresome

Unteroffizeier Kramer did.
Do your own research.

Coogan
From Wiley: If you're hitting them after they drop, that's not defense, that is revenge.
Game Id's:
AHIII: Coogan
RDR2: Coogan_Bear
MSFS-2020: Coogan Bear

Online Devil 505

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #22 on: September 01, 2021, 05:12:21 PM »
Unteroffizeier Kramer did.
Do your own research.

Coogan

Yeah we've already addressed the rare documented time it happened for real.

You missed the point, 88's kill planes and gv's, oh yeah and tanks kill planes and gv's. No difference, either way you can die. I main gun planes fairly often, if they line up in the sight, boom they're dead.

I have not problem with a plane being gunned when it's flying right down the barrel, but deflection shots should be near impossible for even the most skilled tank gunners. It's very different shooting even if the gun is the same because of the difference in sights.

Too much credit is given to the rumors of the “Commanders View”. If using the Commanders view was so advantageous, why doesn’t everybody use it? Given the opportunity to shoot at a flying target the majority of those that are successful will have been from the gun site. In other words changing anything to do with the commanders view will not address Lunatics issue.

Ok then, that makes it simple. Eliminate all range info on aircraft from non AAA GV's.
Kommando Nowotny

FlyKommando.com

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #23 on: September 01, 2021, 10:40:40 PM »
IRL pilots weren't stupid enough to fly shallow approaches against armed vehicles. Or if they were they were quickly trimmed from the gene pool.

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #24 on: September 01, 2021, 11:14:33 PM »
I was at the strats yesterday or the day before, a ki84 tracked me not because it had good aim but I had been hit pretty good by the tower ack before.  anyway, he made passes at me, may 10 or more times, i hit him with the mg, I was in the rocket tank, tried to main gun him but I failed every time, except for the mg, got hits almost every time, he actually crashed into me 3 times.  looks like the 3rd time finally took him about.

when you come in really low from 1.5 away and slow down, you will get an he round in the face, probably 7 or 8 times I had him in my sights with he, but I am not really that good, so I fired both he and mg rounds, only mg rounds hit him.

so if you get killed by a tank round, dont blame anybody, it's your own fault. 

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline scott66

• Gold Member
« Reply #25 on: September 02, 2021, 12:02:28 AM »
Can somebody plz develope a skin(possibly bubble wrap) players can put on their aircraft so they can not be killed by tanks, trees and the ground?! The only kill that is acceptable is from another aircraft... Asking for a friend... Thank you in advance.. Your friend always....scott66
« Last Edit: September 02, 2021, 12:05:10 AM by scott66 »
"scott66"        
 XO ThunderHorse Squadron.    

"This place is a psychologist's wet dream".... FishBait

Online Devil 505

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #26 on: September 02, 2021, 12:13:15 AM »
Can somebody plz develope a skin(possibly bubble wrap) players can put on their aircraft so they can not be killed by tanks, trees and the ground?! The only kill that is acceptable is from another aircraft... Asking for a friend... Thank you in advance.. Your friend always....scott66

Seems like you need one more to protect you from bombs, since all you do is cry about bomb****s.
Kommando Nowotny

FlyKommando.com

Offline scott66

• Gold Member
« Reply #27 on: September 02, 2021, 12:15:22 AM »
 :pray
Seems like you need one more to protect you from bombs, since all you do is cry about bomb****s.
How do you bomb a Brewster?
« Last Edit: September 02, 2021, 12:21:03 AM by scott66 »
"scott66"        

Offline scott66

• Gold Member
« Reply #28 on: September 02, 2021, 12:16:37 AM »
I haven't been bombed in 4 months soooooo maybe you're thinking of someone else
"scott66"        

Offline TyFoo

• Copper Member
« Reply #29 on: September 02, 2021, 01:21:13 AM »
Ok then, that makes it simple. Eliminate all range info on aircraft from non AAA GV's.

Well if you think it would help, I’m all for it. It wont, but if you are going to change one reality change them all by reciprocating and remove all range from the ground to the air as well…..I guess that probably wouldn’t happen?

The range may be used for reference by some but most shots are under 1.5 and a majority are at or under 1k. It’s a point, lead and shoot situation. Nobody is taking their time adjusting the gun site for 1.65k and firing. If they are they are doing it better than most of us.