Author Topic: One Amazing Thing About This Game is...  (Read 1532 times)

Offline Slade

• Silver Member
One Amazing Thing About This Game is...
« on: September 12, 2021, 08:18:10 AM »

If I up a plane I don't usually fly over and over, die in it to a ratio of about 1:3...I start to get OK in it.

I can usually turn it around to 2:1 or better.

Who knew! :banana:

-- Flying as X15 --

Offline hazmatt

• Silver Member
Re: One Amazing Thing About This Game is...
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2021, 09:35:55 AM »
Maybe I should try that as I usually don't fly the same plane much and I'm mediocre in most.

I tend to pick a plane based on the mission. For example if there's a bunch of high "pickn" ponies (and there usually are) I'll up a d9 or an la7 (cause I can't hit much with k4) and for base defense I'll up a la5 or a spit (depending on eny) If I'm running an attack mission I'll usually take an F8 unless there's lottsa enemy which in that case I might take a pony or a jug.

I've noticed there's one nut that seems to fly a 39 and actually get kills in it. I'm not sure what's wrong with them...

Offline Mongoose

• Silver Member
      • Kentwood Station
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2021, 10:07:18 AM »
  Invest the time to master the plane.  Pick a plane and get good at it.  Then pick another plane and invest the time to get good at that plane.  Or in your case, Hazmatt, get good at that mission in that plane.

I fly the P-38 most of the time, and I have gotten very good at making smoking holes in the ground or scattering pieces all over the countryside, depending on the mission.
My Aces High fan site:
www.kentwoodstation.com

Offline atlau

• Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2021, 09:46:45 PM »
I really think one of the best ways to improve is to pick one plane for a while/tour and learn its strengths and weaknesses. Even if you dont get good in that plane it will definitely help when fighting against them too.

Offline captain1ma

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • JG54 website
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2021, 09:11:02 AM »
years ago, some of the guys would fly a different plane each month to get proficient with all the different planes. worst case scenario, try out Monday Night Madness, it will help you get better with you SA(situational Awareness).

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2021, 10:10:35 AM »
The absolute best way to learn what a plane you're not familiar with can't do is to fly it for a while.  Watching what other people do to beat me in them is always extremely educational.

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2021, 11:00:20 AM »
I really think one of the best ways to improve is to pick one plane for a while/tour and learn its strengths and weaknesses. Even if you dont get good in that plane it will definitely help when fighting against them too.

Agreed.

- oldman

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2021, 12:38:07 PM »
MNM is a great way to test fly different planes against a limited planeset

Eagler
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2021, 02:42:12 PM »

I tend to pick a plane based on the mission. For example if there's a bunch of high "pickn" ponies (and there usually are) I'll up a d9 or an la7 (cause I can't hit much with k4) and for base defense I'll up a la5 or a spit (depending on eny) If I'm running an attack mission I'll usually take an F8 unless there's lottsa enemy which in that case I might take a pony or a jug.

I think this is something a lot of players overlook. It's okay to only fly one plane and learn it's strengths and weaknesses, however, flying a p47M or P51 ect in base defense against a bunch of CV planes will lead most to disaster. Not saying it can't be done, but it will be challenging if you dont roll from a back field or take the time to get alt if you can.

Some planes are suited much better for base defense like spits, La5/7s, Niks, and Ki84s, and some for long range attack (generally most American airforce planes) and a few German planes like the 190s, or Ta152. Some are built for good mid air combat like the 109s, Spits, F4U, Fm2, a6m, C205, and Yaks, varying between low, mid, high alt fighting. Some of the long range attack planes are good for mid air combat as well, and some of the defense planes are too. Long range planes generally aren't good at base defense, and low mid air combat planes generally aren't good at long range attack.

A lot of this game is about flying the right plane for the right situation. This can make only flying one plane very difficult in certain situations, and you may even log of that situations isn't what you want. That's when mixing up your plane choices for the situation is very helpful and can be beneficial in getting more kills and being more successful.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2021, 02:50:26 PM by DmonSlyr »
The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-
2014 & 2018 KoTH ToC Champion

Offline fuzeman

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2021, 01:34:06 PM »
MNM is a great way to test fly different planes against a limited planeset

Eagler

As is King Of The Hill. We used to have ‘how the heck did he do that?’ conversations during KOTH in the tower but when range/room radio changed it stopped that.
Far too many, if not most, people on this Board post just to say something opposed to posting when they have something to say.

"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG54

Offline toddbobe

• Nickel Member
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2021, 08:11:55 AM »

The player base... we have the most amazing players... in many ways we are an extended dysfunctional family.

Todd

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2021, 12:43:26 PM »

The fact that it was developed and released by such a small team, and is still going, more than 20 years later. 

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2021, 12:29:42 AM »
The most amazing thing about this game is despite being shot down a zillion times over the years, I have yet to really die! :)
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2021, 07:24:48 AM »
Amazing thing about this game is that it scratches an itch that began when I was 5 about 57 years ago when I started slapping model planes together and hanging them in combat poses from my bedroom ceiling

And quite well at that ...thanks Hitech!

Eagler
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.electraforge.com/brooke/
« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2021, 03:07:51 PM »
Amazing thing about this game is that it scratches an itch that began when I was 5 about 57 years ago when I started slapping model planes together and hanging them in combat poses from my bedroom ceiling

And quite well at that ...thanks Hitech!

Eagler

:aok