Author Topic: Bombsight view  (Read 878 times)

Offline decoy

• Nickel Member
      • Clay Mercer on the web
Bombsight view
« on: October 13, 2021, 10:54:08 AM »
Just activated my paying account five days ago and I'm having a ball, but....

When I try to access the bombsight view, I press F6 and nothing happens.

When i go to the keyboard mapper app, I can't locate any option to assign 'bombsight view' or 'bombardier position' to the F6 key.  My experience leads me to believe that I am overlooking something very simple and very basic, but I don't have a clue.  Any help resolving this issue would be appreciated.  Thanks in advance.
Rule #1 Don't sweat the small stuff
Rule #2 It's all small stuff.
Rule #3 What doesn't kill you, makes you stronger.  Except redheads, they just kill you.

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
Re: Bombsight view
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2021, 11:02:35 AM »
Which aircraft?

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2021, 11:07:07 AM »
Welcome back, Decoy!

Its under Key Mappings - VIEW category, F6 is mapped (or should be) mapped to "View Mode Bomb Sight".

Not all aircraft have bomb sights, and you 'may' have to be in the pilot's seat for F6 to work.  That is, I don't know if you can get to the bombardier station from a gunner's position.   

Offline decoy

• Nickel Member
      • Clay Mercer on the web
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2021, 11:46:18 AM »
Thanks for the help.  I've been experimenting with the B25H, I'll look at these options and see if they help
« Last Edit: October 13, 2021, 12:03:30 PM by decoy »
Rule #3 What doesn't kill you, makes you stronger.  Except redheads, they just kill you.

Offline decoy

• Nickel Member
      • Clay Mercer on the web
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2021, 12:06:23 PM »
Update.... I'm making progress.  In offline mode, I could not access the bomb sight in a B25H, but I could in a B24J.  I was also able to calibrate the bomb sight and return to bomb sight view. I could not figure out how to get back to the pilot's position.  I'm learning, so many thanks.

Offline morfiend

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2021, 12:21:21 PM »
F1 to return to pilot position.

:salute

Offline decoy

• Nickel Member
      • Clay Mercer on the web
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2021, 12:41:30 PM »
F1 to return to pilot position.

Got it.  Thanks a lot.  Part of my 'trouble' is that I've been flying in Warbirds and AH is vastly different. Much better, iMHO, or else I wouldn't be working to resolve these issues

Offline SIK1

• AH Training Corps
  • Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2021, 12:45:51 PM »
Not all bomber airframes have a bombsite. The B-25H I believe is a solid nose version of the B-25, so it wouldn't have a bombsite.
Don't hesitate to ask questions, or set up some time with a trainer (shameless plug).

Sik
444th Air Mafia since Air Warrior
Proudly flying with VF-17

"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG54

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2021, 05:10:33 PM »
Update.... I'm making progress.  In offline mode, I could not access the bomb sight in a B25H, but I could in a B24J.  I was also able to calibrate the bomb sight and return to bomb sight view. I could not figure out how to get back to the pilot's position.  I'm learning, so many thanks.

The B-25H has a 75mm cannon in the nose so you fly it like an attack plane instead of a level bomber.

Offline fuzeman

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2021, 08:09:25 PM »
Welcome aboard -{S}-

Keep us busy with those questions, there are NO bad ones.  :aok
Far too many, if not most, people on this Board post just to say something opposed to posting when they have something to say.

"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG54

Offline 1stpar3

• Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2021, 02:32:57 AM »
Do you play, with VR?  If so...F6...and Look down....actually bend neck to acquire Bomb Sight. Not sure this is the reason...but if you didnt know before..now ya do :aok
"Life is short,break the rules,forgive quickly,kiss slowly,love truly,laugh uncontrollably,and never regret anything that made you smile."  “The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”- Mark Twain

Offline decoy

• Nickel Member
      • Clay Mercer on the web
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2021, 03:57:38 PM »
Before I get to my question(s), let me say that my Uncle Leo flew B24s for the Eighth Air Force in WWII.  He was with the 453rd Bombardment Group and his squadron commander was the movie actor Jimmy Stewart.  Uncle Leo was a farmer by trade and, except for his time in the Army, and later in the National Guard, he spent all of his time on the farm.  He didn't talk about his experience in WWII very much, but one time I asked him if it was true that he flew B24s.  He said, 'I did, it was the only desk job I ever had.'

I found this to be true in Warbirds, but even more applicable in Aces High.

So, once I get the bomber to 18-20K or better, lined up with target, speed set, bomb bay doors open, I enter bomb sight mode.  I got calibration mode.  I hold down the Y key.  My roadblock here is that my IAS in my heads up display is generally around 200 or 205, but my bomb sight information say 'indicated speed' and has a figure anywhere from 30-40 mph faster.  Does that make a difference or should I not worry about it>

Next question:  I have been under the impression that I should set my target altitude, but I can't figure out how to do that, either. 

Finally, and this has nothing to do with bombing, but the B24 control panel.  At the top of the control panel, just to the right of the compass, are four gauges. The first two are labeled 'MAN" and the next two are labeled "RPM."  What are the first two gauges for? Manifold pressure?

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Decoy

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2021, 04:18:40 PM »
When you hold down the "Y" key to calibrate it sets both speed and alt (which is the alt your at when calibrating). The speed listed in the bomb site is what you go by for your runs. When calibrating, if you didnt let your plane get up to full speed BEFORE calibrating you will have to watch your speed. In the bomb site it has calibrated speed and actual speed. You want them to match as closely as possible for your drop. The same goes for your alt. Should you slow down too much while fighting, you will lose alt and it much match as close as possible when you drop. The longer you hold the "Y" key the better the calibration. 10 seconds is my go to when calibrating.

The bomb site alt and speed reading are the only ones you need worry about when setting up your bomb runs.

Offline decoy

• Nickel Member
      • Clay Mercer on the web
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2021, 06:24:13 PM »
Thanks so much.  I wasn't too worried about it, but it helps to know.

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2021, 08:22:46 AM »

....  At the top of the control panel, just to the right of the compass, are four gauges. The first two are labeled 'MAN" and the next two are labeled "RPM."  What are the first two gauges for? Manifold pressure?

Your manifold gauge is power, set it with throttle. RPM is propeller speed, set prop pitch with keyboard keys, keypad +/- , or assign an analog control.