Author Topic: Revamping Fighter and Attack Sorties  (Read 3008 times)

Online Devil 505

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
Revamping Fighter and Attack Sorties
« on: October 28, 2021, 01:14:46 PM »
This idea came to me while reading the "88mm Reality Check" and "Unsportsmanlike gameplay" threads.

As it is now, selecting fighter or attack sorties in the hangar only effects how the sortie is scored. There is no purpose for this mechanic beyond this.

I propose that this be changed so that "Fighter" sorties are exclusively for air-to-air and that selecting any air-to-ground ordnance in the hangar automatically locks the sortie into "Attack" mode.

In conjunction with this change is that players in "Fighter" mode are invulnerable to all player controlled AAA (Fixed manned guns and vehicles) unless the player in "Fighter" mode strafes any GV or ground/ship target. This first pass at a GV or ground target will result in no damage inflicted but will switch that player automatically into "Attack" mode making them able to damage to ground targets and be damaged by them for the remainder of the sortie.

Kommando Nowotny

FlyKommando.com

Online hazmatt

• Silver Member
Re: Revamping Fighter and Attack Sorties
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2021, 02:16:28 PM »
What about the plane in "fighter mode" spotting enemy tanks while impervious to flaks and aaa?

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2021, 02:28:34 PM »
Or get rid of anything that doesn't have wings :)

Eagler
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Online Devil 505

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2021, 02:41:45 PM »
What about the plane in "fighter mode" spotting enemy tanks while impervious to flaks and aaa?

Too difficult for most fighter pilots to do reliably or effectively, so it's a non issue.

Besides, that's what the Storch and the ridiculous GV icon rules are for anyway.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2021, 02:44:53 PM by Devil 505 »
Kommando Nowotny

FlyKommando.com

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2021, 03:46:23 PM »
Too difficult for most fighter pilots to do reliably or effectively, so it's a non issue.

Besides, that's what the Storch and the ridiculous GV icon rules are for anyway.

If an aircraft could be impervious to ground fire, that would be easier than bombing.  Hazmatt's right.  I don't think you've thought your cunning plan all the way through.  A good deal of the time, GVs don't have a ton of air cover.

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Online Devil 505

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2021, 03:53:22 PM »
If an aircraft could be impervious to ground fire, that would be easier than bombing.  Hazmatt's right.  I don't think you've thought your cunning plan all the way through.  A good deal of the time, GVs don't have a ton of air cover.

Wiley.

Listen, I want to promote more air combat. If that means a guy is spotting GV's with a fighter and the only counter to him is another fighter, then that's awesome.
Kommando Nowotny

FlyKommando.com

Offline lunaticfringe

• Nickel Member
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2021, 05:28:42 PM »
Or get rid of anything that doesn't have wings :)

Eagler

quiet you :police: i'll have you arrested
To Be Prepared for War Is The Most Effectual Means Of Preserving Peace (George Washington)

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2021, 06:02:55 PM »
Listen, I want to promote more air combat. If that means a guy is spotting GV's with a fighter and the only counter to him is another fighter, then that's awesome.

And when that doesn't happen, what exactly do you think the GVers are going to do?

I know, I know, you've made it abundantly clear you don't care.  TBH I don't much care, but apparently somebody does.

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline JimmyD3

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2021, 06:33:16 PM »

Nothing in this game should be impervious to ground fire.  :rolleyes:
Kenai77
CO Sic Puppies MWK
USAF 1971-76

Online Devil 505

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2021, 07:09:51 PM »
Right, because the current conditions of hidden Wirbelwinds downing a fighter in a dogfight with another plane is so much better.
Kommando Nowotny

FlyKommando.com

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2021, 08:52:09 PM »
Right, because the current conditions of hidden Wirbelwinds downing a fighter in a dogfight with another plane is so much better.

Nobody said it was better, but your solution would more than likely have a bunch of GVers quit the game for good. Lower numbers leads to lower numbers. It will just lead to the demise of the game that much quicker.

Leave the GVs to there lower vis numbers and such, but remove 50-60 % of the trees. It wont put more guys in fighters...... nothing will at this point unless we get more people in the game. Giving away a half dozen midwar planes to non paying accounts might do that.... but having GVs "hiding in wait" for the fighters wont be as easy.

Your not going to be able to "force" players into fighting. If they are going to like GVs or flying buffs better that is what they will do. I think that is the biggest reason we lose players. The game has been allowed to drop to its lowerest common denominator, aviod fights, sneak bases, grab bases while the numbers are low to win maps quick, and so on. The game isnt what I thought it was designed to be any more, a COMBAT game.

Offline atlau

• Silver Member
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2021, 09:45:16 PM »
Gv fights bring in heavy fughters and bombers which in turn bring in fighters and furballers. Removing the ground element would only encourage everyone to get as high as possible and would be bad for the game

Online Devil 505

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2021, 10:02:23 PM »
Gv fights bring in heavy fughters and bombers which in turn bring in fighters and furballers. Removing the ground element would only encourage everyone to get as high as possible and would be bad for the game

All i'm suggesting is making a change that allows fighters to be isolated from GV interference in their desired air action and ensuring that the GV's are similarly protected from a fighter pilot's who change their mind from taking no-risk shots at them or base ack.

Remember, the first attack pass from a plane in "Fighter" mode will do no damage. It would only serve as an "ON" switch for "Attack" mode then then can be killed as normal.

Perhaps a change in how aircraft icons are displayed for GV and Ack would help them differentiate the mode selected by a particular plane so they who know who is a threat and who isn't.
Kommando Nowotny

FlyKommando.com

Online DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2021, 10:17:38 PM »
Nothing, and I mean nothing, pisses me off more than getting my 20 minute 4 kill sortie ruined than by getting killed by a 1 ping 88 from 5-10K away from the field while  fighting. Or when my tail just Instantly pops off at 3k from some wirble I had no idea about. It seriously makes me rage quit. Wirbles should be perked atleast 100 perks. It's consistenly the second most top killer in the game behind the T34. It ruins too many people's fun. It's too easy to kill attacking planes. It takes far more risk and time to be an attacker, plus they have to deal with AAA already. IMO, there should be no manned guns on fields, only AI guns, no stupid BS sniper 88 crap. And wirbles need to be atleast 100 perks. That's how you fix this issue. Coding a bunch of stuff is just gonna be harder for Hitech.
The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-
2014 & 2018 KoTH ToC Champion

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2021, 07:49:46 AM »
The request sounds like major coding..

If we can't get a map list edited I don't think much more should be expected

Eagler
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals