Author Topic: Thursday morning Brain dump: Game play ideas  (Read 1279 times)

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
Thursday morning Brain dump: Game play ideas
« on: February 17, 2022, 11:39:51 AM »
First, I must admit I haven't thought these ideas fully through, and even if I did, my own biases would probably color my conclusions anyway.  That said, here is a brain dump of some game play ideas that have been rattling around in my head, some for years, and finally spilled out this morning.  Some are probably not mine originally, but I liked them and jotted down a reminder.    Not to be taken as 'Wish list' fodder, unless some actually seem like really good ideas.  So, presented for your amusement, a list of possible changes to AH Melee Arena gameplay:

Aces High Gameplay ideas

- Add a 4th country (Kings?).  When one country captures more than 50% of another country's bases, the first country 'surrenders' and all fields are assigned to the conquering country.  The defeated country's players are randomly reassigned to one of the remaining countries (but NOT to the conquering country). 

- Have all small AFs and VBases neutral and 100% destroyed at start of map.  Players must capture and supply ('build') in order to make these bases useable.

- Keep an 'Aircraft Available' count by a/c model at each field.  If an a/c which spawned at a field does not return to the same field, the available count for that model is reduced by one.  Ferry flights can be accomplished by flying a particular aircraft model from another friendly field (similar to resupply).  Successful landing increases that model A/C 'available' count at the field by 3, up to the initial level.   

- Add freighter convoys which follow set paths to ports, anchor offshore while one goes into port and unloads. Destroyable /sinkable.  Add crane structures to port docks.

- Add submarines docked in some ports as valid targets.

- Add more RRs with marshalling yards and warehouses as bomber targets.

- Heavy bombers should not be available at small fields.  Medium, Large, and Huge airfields only.   

- Allow a player to 'JOIN' a C-47, Jeep or M3 but becomes a paratrooper/soldier.   Give them a tommy gun instead of pistol.

- Allow external view on GVs.   

- When using zoom view in a GV from command position, use 'binoculars' type view:

- Allow exit/reentry of GVs and give player 'binoculars' view when using zoom. 

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
Re: Thursday morning Brain dump: Game play ideas
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2022, 11:50:30 AM »
Great ideas but not sure the programming power is there to implement those changes

Eagler
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2022, 12:50:29 PM »
I think you could be right about the capability to implement changes might not be there anymore - at least large changes anyway.  Although giving GVs external view, or snapping a binoculars cutout over GV zoom views doesn't seem like it would be *that* much effort.  But those small changes wouldn't do much to game play overall anyway.

I'm sure the ideas must have downsides - for example if you become a paratrooper or M3 soldier - that's basically a suicide mission - if you're successful and capture the field, you die in the map room explosion?   Or if you're the 11th man and 10 AI grunts capture the field, maybe you could just 'end sortie'.  But having a handful of players involved in close combat with Tommy guns and maybe even the ability to toss hand grenades, seems like it could be a fun addition to all the other styles of game play in AH.  Even if the mechanics of first-person ground movement and combat are pretty rudimentary.

The idea of a country surrendering and having all its players reassigned to other countries seems like it could break down the barrier of chess piece loyalty - players might find they can play alongside former opponents just as well as teammates, but there could be a number of players who just log off if their country is defeated rather than fly under the colors of a different chess piece.  And they might not come back until the map is won.  That would be terrible. 

And the idea of limiting supplies of certain a/c at certain fields unless resupplied, well, that may go against Hitech's game design ideas - which for the most part seem to be 'everybody gets everything' with no limits.  I think he's had to do this to keep players happy but will impose restrictions if a serious play-balance problem arises (i.e. ENY and Perk Points).   

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2022, 01:11:25 PM »
I just go back to the map argument/ discussion...if trying a list of favorite maps is nothing more than editing the map list and we can't get that done, I  personally think nothing more than skins from the skinners themselves is all we will get...

Sure hope to be proven wrong...

Eagler
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline decoy

• Nickel Member
      • Clay Mercer on the web
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2022, 02:03:30 PM »
Good ideas but, like Eagler, I don't see it happening.

Although, it seems to me that limiting the size of bombers available at small fields would be incredibly simple to implement.  WBs does that, so there might be an infringement of some sort, but I can't really see how.
Rule #1 Don't sweat the small stuff
Rule #2 It's all small stuff.
Rule #3 What doesn't kill you, makes you stronger.  Except redheads, they just kill you.

Offline lunaticfringe

• Nickel Member
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2022, 03:19:55 PM »
none of those will esp the 1st one
To Be Prepared for War Is The Most Effectual Means Of Preserving Peace (George Washington)

Offline eddiek

• Silver Member
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2022, 03:41:20 PM »

Couple things I discussed with HT way back when, either on here or on the phone:

Once the number of players in the Melee drops below a threshold number, shrink the playable area on the arena to a 2 sector by 2 sector region, everything outside that box is
uncapturable, no planes/vehicles available, just dead map until the arena population rises above the threshold.  Then add another sector as it rises (3x3, or 4x4), then another and gradually expand to the entire map as more players enter.
Goal would be to keep players in contact with one another and combat close and easy to find.

Next would be adding random AI defenders spawning outside the base perimeters when attackers spawn in.  I say random because some players have all the base layouts memorized, and it would offer a challenge to them while giving real players time to respond to the attack.  I know, I've read some players comment about they don't wanna play against AI, but in reality, how many attacks go against undefended bases, dealing with AI and overwhelming those before a real player even knows the base is being attacked?  Have the "guerilla" AI defenses spawn randomly as the attackers come in, so they have to stay on their toes rather than just cruise in unopposed.  As real players spawn to mount a defense, have the AI spawned defenses spawn closer and closer to base, fewer and fewer in number until it is 100% human defenders.  GV guys might not like it, but it would be merely a new challenge for them to learn to deal with.

Last, tied to the binocular idea......finally make icon ranges from GV's to aircraft, and aircraft to GV equidistant.  3K max in either direction, with the GV's being able to use their binoculars (Zoom) view for a farther view. 

Just adding my two cents to the discussion................... 

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2022, 04:13:24 PM »
Let's make the teams different sizes... Bish will be pygmies, Knights are Amazons, Rooks will be rotund
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2022, 04:38:05 PM »

Couple things I discussed with HT way back when, either on here or on the phone:

Once the number of players in the Melee drops below a threshold number, shrink the playable area on the arena to a 2 sector by 2 sector region, everything outside that box is
uncapturable, no planes/vehicles available, just dead map until the arena population rises above the threshold.  Then add another sector as it rises (3x3, or 4x4), then another and gradually expand to the entire map as more players enter.
Goal would be to keep players in contact with one another and combat close and easy to find.

Next would be adding random AI defenders spawning outside the base perimeters when attackers spawn in.  I say random because some players have all the base layouts memorized, and it would offer a challenge to them while giving real players time to respond to the attack.  I know, I've read some players comment about they don't wanna play against AI, but in reality, how many attacks go against undefended bases, dealing with AI and overwhelming those before a real player even knows the base is being attacked?  Have the "guerilla" AI defenses spawn randomly as the attackers come in, so they have to stay on their toes rather than just cruise in unopposed.  As real players spawn to mount a defense, have the AI spawned defenses spawn closer and closer to base, fewer and fewer in number until it is 100% human defenders.  GV guys might not like it, but it would be merely a new challenge for them to learn to deal with.

Last, tied to the binocular idea......finally make icon ranges from GV's to aircraft, and aircraft to GV equidistant.  3K max in either direction, with the GV's being able to use their binoculars (Zoom) view for a farther view. 

Like 'em all!

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2022, 04:38:07 PM »
Let me Pick out one:
- Keep an 'Aircraft Available' count by a/c model at each field.  If an a/c which spawned at a field does not return to the same field, the available count for that model is reduced by one.  Ferry flights can be accomplished by flying a particular aircraft model from another friendly field (similar to resupply).  Successful landing increases that model A/C 'available' count at the field by 3, up to the initial level.   

This is one thing that sounds good for 'realism' and enriched gameplay, but is actually a horrible idea.
Think of all the yelling about "stop wasting our Ponies" at a new player when you now really have a limited resource players can actually waste. And just imagine someone switch sides and 'uses up' all the 'good fighters' at a crucial base just before enemy attack.
Also, when a furball develops between two fields, those players will soon have to 'ferry in' the next rides to keep the furball up?
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline Lazerr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2022, 04:41:10 PM »

Not a fan of AI Eddie, but your first idea is dead nuts.  Any planes outside of that sector range cost a perk multiplier is icing on the cake.  I think it would be worth trying the base capture chain again too.

At the end of the day though, the herd will still pile on one country that is getting bashed by the other.  Hence, 2 countries.

The easy fix would be two counties, but I've beaten that horse to a pulp the last 7 years.

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2022, 04:45:30 PM »
I just can't believe yall didn't go nuts over my idea.  :airplane:
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2022, 05:35:13 PM »
First, I must admit I haven't thought these ideas fully through, and even if I did, my own biases would probably color my conclusions anyway.  That said, here is a brain dump of some game play ideas that have been rattling around in my head, some for years, and finally spilled out this morning.  Some are probably not mine originally, but I liked them and jotted down a reminder.    Not to be taken as 'Wish list' fodder, unless some actually seem like really good ideas.  So, presented for your amusement, a list of possible changes to AH Melee Arena gameplay:

Aces High Gameplay ideas

- Add a 4th country (Kings?).  When one country captures more than 50% of another country's bases, the first country 'surrenders' and all fields are assigned to the conquering country.  The defeated country's players are randomly reassigned to one of the remaining countries (but NOT to the conquering country). 

Dont see the point. Your never going to get rid of a "team loyalty" in a game based on teams.

- Have all small AFs and VBases neutral and 100% destroyed at start of map.  Players must capture and supply ('build') in order to make these bases useable.

Interesting twist, but I see the "morning crew" blowing through maps each day

This would be fun to, forcing players to move to other planes as supplies ran out, but as Lazer said the cries would be loud and abundant. 

- Add freighter convoys which follow set paths to ports, anchor offshore while one goes into port and unloads. Destroyable /sinkable.  Add crane structures to port docks.

would take players away from fights looking for convoys instead to no real purpose

- Add submarines docked in some ports as valid targets.

in the old days you could destroy the subs and ships docked at the ports. Didnt get anything for it tho.

- Add more RRs with marshalling yards and warehouses as bomber targets.

Again just drawing players away from the fight to hunt trains to no real purpose. If tied to the supply network it could be worth wilde, but it could be abused much like the days of "lights out radar"

- Heavy bombers should not be available at small fields.  Medium, Large, and Huge airfields only.

Agreed, and it is only an arena setting that could be done in minutes.   

- Allow a player to 'JOIN' a C-47, Jeep or M3 but becomes a paratrooper/soldier.   Give them a tommy gun instead of pistol.

Hitech had wanted to add a first person shooter aspect to the game, but I guess thats gone by the wayside

- Allow external view on GVs.

I think it would be better if they just rid of half the trees.    

- When using zoom view in a GV from command position, use 'binoculars' type view:
(Image removed from quote.)

I like this, reminds me of the old games like "Seawolf" and such

- Allow exit/reentry of GVs and give player 'binoculars' view when using zoom.

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2022, 06:03:53 PM »
How about for some perk cost, you can spawn a V1 launch site from a VBase, with oh, 3 or 4 V1 Doodlebugs.   You pick the target coordinates from the clipboard map, say it has a 1-2 sector range.   And when you launch, you can get a external chase view of the missile all the way to its target if you want.   Exaggerate the V1s size somewhat and make a nice bright flame on the tail for tracking, so enemy Typhoons, Tempests or Spit XIVs (and the ubiquitous Yaks) have a chance to see it and give chase to shoot it down.  When it hits, it explodes with impact of a 2000lb bomb.   Flies at 2500ft and around 375 mph to target.

Or how about towed artillery behind an M3?     

Offline AKKuya

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Gold Member
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2022, 06:08:53 PM »
I just can't believe yall didn't go nuts over my idea.  :airplane:

When ideas are perfect, then no need to keep bringing them up.
Chuck Norris can pick oranges from an apple tree and make the best lemonade in the world. Every morning when you wake up, swallow a live toad. Nothing worse can happen to you for the rest of the day. They say money can't buy happiness. I would like the opportunity to find out. Why be serious?