Author Topic: Looking for Quest 2 help  (Read 1843 times)

Offline PFactorDavid

• Zinc Member
Looking for Quest 2 help
« on: February 24, 2022, 08:04:56 AM »
Ok...  Got the warthog hotas system connected and updated to the newest firmware.  Working great as ever.  Rudder pedals back under my desk where they lived for years of Aces High 2...  Aces High 3 DX11 version installed.  Oculus software installed. 

I start the Oculus software...  Put on the headset and fire it up.  It asks permission to to cable link.  I start Aces High 3, tell it I want to use my Oculus...

Then i get the perpetual loading splash screen... 

I'm looking for ideas from any of you folks who have fought this fight previously.  The computer I am trying to run it on has an NVidia RTX 3050 Ti GPU, and smoothly runs Skyrim VR.  I would think that it would be strong enough for Aces High 3, but maybe not through the Quest 2?  The computer runs Aces High 3 without the Oculus on pretty high settings with no problems at all.

I have USB 3 ports...  Currently using an off brand cheap link cable.  So I have ordered an Oculus branded non cheap cable, but it runs Skyrim on the cheap cable so I am not sure that that is the break point.

Any thoughts or advice to try? 

I really really want to get back in the air with what has to be an awesome VR experience, but I'm really hoping not to need to build another computer for it. 

Help an old guy out if you can.  lol  And pretend that I know almost nothing on the technical side... 

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
    • Twitch: Twitch Feed
Re: Looking for Quest 2 help
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2022, 08:09:07 AM »
Have you tried to use AirLink (wifi) as opposed to the cable? I suppose just to rule out or rule for that it's a cable issue.

I think the only thing you have to do with airlink is turn on dev mode or something like that in the Oculus app.
i7-12700k | Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 | EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | H150i Capellix

FlyKommando.com

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2022, 08:31:55 AM »
If you are wearing the headset and experiencing the perpetual load screen, take off the headset and look at your monitor.  Most likely there is a dialog box waiting for you to respond.   Click the appropriate answer and then put headset back on.  It will finish loading.

Thats the way it happens for me, when I start AH3 from my Quest 2.

ALso be prepared, you will need to go the the Preferences menu item, select GUI, and then look all around to gather the many dialogue boxes (message window, radio window, damage display window, etc) and drag them to a more convenient viewing position.

The default positions of these boxes (there's at least 1/2 dozen different ones, IIRC) is the their position in 2D, which is not at all compatible with where they need to be in order to be seen in VR with twisting your head or neck.

Good luck!

Offline PFactorDavid

• Zinc Member
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2022, 08:42:13 AM »
Have you tried to use AirLink (wifi) as opposed to the cable? I suppose just to rule out or rule for that it's a cable issue.

I think the only thing you have to do with airlink is turn on dev mode or something like that in the Oculus app.

Do you think that that setting is in the Oculus software on the computer or in the settings in the headset?

Offline PFactorDavid

• Zinc Member
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2022, 08:44:59 AM »
If you are wearing the headset and experiencing the perpetual load screen, take off the headset and look at your monitor.  Most likely there is a dialog box waiting for you to respond.   Click the appropriate answer and then put headset back on.  It will finish loading.

Thats the way it happens for me, when I start AH3 from my Quest 2.

ALso be prepared, you will need to go the the Preferences menu item, select GUI, and then look all around to gather the many dialogue boxes (message window, radio window, damage display window, etc) and drag them to a more convenient viewing position.

The default positions of these boxes (there's at least 1/2 dozen different ones, IIRC) is the their position in 2D, which is not at all compatible with where they need to be in order to be seen in VR with twisting your head or neck.

Good luck!

I do get the pop up on the computer asking if I want to use my Oculus VR, click the yes, thats when I go into perma load mode in the headset.

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2022, 08:47:10 AM »
I think the initial feature must be turned on in the app on the computer. Then, each time I want to connect via airlink I turn the headset on and go to the settings in the headset and connect. It will show that it wants to connect to your desktop (whatever your Windows install is named).
i7-12700k | Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 | EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | H150i Capellix

FlyKommando.com

Offline PFactorDavid

• Zinc Member
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2022, 08:52:48 AM »
I think the initial feature must be turned on in the app on the computer. Then, each time I want to connect via airlink I turn the headset on and go to the settings in the headset and connect. It will show that it wants to connect to your desktop (whatever your Windows install is named).

I will give it a try a bit later.  Supposed to be working at the moment...  But, working from home does have some advantages...  lol

And for the record Spikes...  Your forum Avatar is every bit as amazing as it was 10 or 12 years ago.  Bounce bounce bounce....

Offline PFactorDavid

• Zinc Member
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2022, 09:46:26 AM »
Ok, so because its bugging me...  lol

I kicked on the Air Link option....  Was actually able to see the game in the headset but only in a flat panel in front of me kind of way, not in VR....

I did notice that sometimes when I start Aces High 3, it asks me if I want to use my Oculus, sometimes it asks if I want to use my OpenVR, and sometimes I get both pop ups...

Does that set off any troubleshooting bells for anyone?

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2022, 10:04:19 AM »
:D

I am not sure but I know somewhere in the app you can set OpenVR or something else, I had to do that for MSFS2020. I wonder if you can set the default for AH to something, I have only ever had it ask if I want to use Oculus.

Also, it shows a flat panel for me too until I get in the game - once I get in an arena it goes back to normal.

I like the idea of using Airlink and then just having the link cable plugged into the wall to charge the headset, otherwise you're fighting with your computer to have it draw enough power to charge the headset.

FlyKommando.com

Offline PFactorDavid

• Zinc Member
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2022, 10:13:46 AM »

Also, it shows a flat panel for me too until I get in the game - once I get in an arena it goes back to normal.

So the flat panel when in the Tower is normal then?  Then when I spawn onto a runway it should switch to full VR?  It kept me in the flat panel even on the runway....  Hmmm... 

I like the Airlink idea, like you do, but gotta get fully into the game before I worry about those distinctions...  I am encouraged that it did get me farther over Airlink than I was getting via cable.  Maybe there is hope yet.  lol

Amazon should deliver me a new Oculus cable later today, maybe I will luck out and that will solve the problem.  Fingers crossed.

Curious if anyone else has any insights on the OpenVR thing. 

Offline DaddyAce

• Silver Member
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2022, 10:26:19 AM »
Hey Dave,

I'm running an HP G2 on my desktop, so no experience with the Quest 2, so am not sure this is relevant.  But just a thought in case this gives you a helpful clue....  are you using a laptop?  Maybe it's an issue with getting enough power through your USB?

Good luck, AH in VR is amazing!

Offline PFactorDavid

• Zinc Member
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2022, 10:32:55 AM »
Hey Dave,

I'm running an HP G2 on my desktop, so no experience with the Quest 2, so am not sure this is relevant.  But just a thought in case this gives you a helpful clue....  are you using a laptop?  Maybe it's an issue with getting enough power through your USB?

Good luck, AH in VR is amazing!

It is a laptop, but it does have a powered USB 3 port, and I have my stick/throttle/pedals hooked in through a powered USB hub also...  My current testing is being done without the stick/throttle/pedals hooked up, so they aren't drawing anything away.  I have not yet tried the Oculus plugged into the powered hub, just assumed it would be better plugged into the powered USB port, but I am open to trying anything.  lol  Appreciate the input!

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2022, 10:45:38 AM »
So the flat panel when in the Tower is normal then?  Then when I spawn onto a runway it should switch to full VR?  It kept me in the flat panel even on the runway....  Hmmm... 

I like the Airlink idea, like you do, but gotta get fully into the game before I worry about those distinctions...  I am encouraged that it did get me farther over Airlink than I was getting via cable.  Maybe there is hope yet.  lol

Amazon should deliver me a new Oculus cable later today, maybe I will luck out and that will solve the problem.  Fingers crossed.

Hmm no that is definitely not normal. Once you enter an arena it should kick over to 3D in my experience.

FlyKommando.com

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2022, 02:52:40 PM »

No, when you are in the tower, you are in VR.

I use the Occulus link cable, figured it would be more durable/compatible than the less expensive knockoffs. 

I added AH to the Library within the Occulus Link software and start the game from inside the Quest.  I have to raise the headset or take it off briefly to answer the dialog question, but once I do that I can go back into the headset and am fine.  I have not had any luck with starting the game before I put on the headset...

Offline PFactorDavid

• Zinc Member
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2022, 04:04:12 PM »
No, when you are in the tower, you are in VR.

I use the Occulus link cable, figured it would be more durable/compatible than the less expensive knockoffs. 

I added AH to the Library within the Occulus Link software and start the game from inside the Quest.  I have to raise the headset or take it off briefly to answer the dialog question, but once I do that I can go back into the headset and am fine.  I have not had any luck with starting the game before I put on the headset...

So, I have the official Occulus cable now.  I have tried launching the game from inside the headset and outside of it.  Either way, I have to lift the headset to click the dialog.  headset goes back on...  I get the Dx11 load screen...  start hearing the music and siren...  but it never loads. 

I have now uninstalled the game and reinstalled to no avail.  Same thing.

I have yet to reproduce even getting into a plane on a flat screen inside the goggles which I was able to do once through Airlink.

This is incredibly frustrating, and I am now officially at a total loss.  I have no idea even what to try next.