Author Topic: Lt. Charles W. Koenig - P-51D "Little Horse" (FT*K) - 354th FG, 353rd FS  (Read 1895 times)

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
This one is for the upcoming scenario.   I have a couple minor tweaks left to finish it out but this is representative of the final product.   I hope it meets expectations.   Many thanks to Devil 505, Oboe, and Lyric1 for their help offline.  I must also tip my hat to what I learned about metal from restoring Dutchguy's "Miss Velma" (along with completely redrawing his "Dallas Doll") a few years back and study of the work done by Fester when I adopted "American Beauty" from his orphan list.   Their artistry inspired much of what you see here.   Also the usual thanks to Greebo for all his help over the years.   That input is always reflected in the work of the skinners here in ways big and small.    :salute

___

P-51D-5-NA, s/n 44-13551
"Little Horse" - FT*K
Lt. Charles Wilbert Koenig / Kenneth Harry Dahlberg
354th FG, 353rd FS
May 1944

This is Lt. Charles W. Koenig's P-51D-5-NA "Little Horse" (S/N 44-13551) coded FT*K of the 354th Fighter Group, 353rd Fighter Squadron depicted as it would have appeared in May 1944.   Koenig was a flight leader in the squadron and scored three of his 6.5 victories (3.5 x Me-109, 3 x FW-190) in this aircraft.   It was also flown by Lt. Ken H. Dahlberg who was himself a triple-ace with 15 victories, although none were scored in this particular aircraft.

Koenig later named the airplane "Le Petite Cheval" after the squadron's move to France following the D-Day landings.   He scored four and a half of his victories after D-Day.   He had a lengthy post-war career flying P-51s, C-46s, C-119s, HU-16s, and Helio Couriers.   He was promoted to Brigadier General in 1974 before passing away from cancer in 1976.

General Koenig's awards include the Distinguished Service Cross, Distinguished Flying Cross, Air Medal with 12 oak leaf clusters (2 silver, 2 bronze), American Campaign Medal, Armed Forces Reserve Medal, Legion of Merit, National Defense Service Medal, World War II Victory Medal, Croix de Guerre (French), Air Force Commendation Medal, Air Force Longevity Service Award with 6 oak leaf clusters (1 silver, 1 bronze), European-African-Middle Eastern Campaign Medal with 4 bronze stars, and the Air Medal with 12 oak leaf clusters. The "Pioneer Mustang Group" (354th FG) also earned two Distinguished Unit Citations during Koenig's time with them.

Dahlberg was shot down three times, escaping twice before becoming a Prisoner of War follwing his last shoot-down.   He remained in the military until 1951 and would go on to own the company that created the Miracle-Ear hearing aid.   "Little Horse" survived the war and was restored to flying condition in its original markings (with some modifications).   Before he passed away in 2011 at the age of 94, Ken flew in "Little Horse" again during a reunion with its WWII crew chief, Staff Sergeant George Chassey, in 2006.

Dahlberg's awards include the Distinguished Service Cross, Silver Star with Bronze oak leaf cluster, Distinguished Flying Cross with bronze oak leaf cluster, Bronze oak leaf cluster, Purple Heart with bronze oak leaf cluster, Air Medal with three silver oak leaf clusters, Presidential Unit Citation, Prisoner of War Medal, American Defense Service Medal, American Campaign Medal, European-African-Middle Eastern Campaign Medal with three campaign stars,    World War II Victory Medal, Air Force Longevity Service Award, and the Croix de guerre 1939-1945 with palm (France).

Some will note differences in this scheme compared to the restored warbird.   The restoration includes a few inauthentic items which account for some (if not all) of the differences.   Also, while a couple of the gallery shots show three victory markings the final version of the skin only displays two.

I'm still not a fan of JPGs on the forum as it feels like something gets lost in translation.  I've posted some BMPs to my offsite gallery just in case.

Click to Enlarge.

Offline Gallery with Better Resolution:

« Last Edit: February 27, 2022, 12:03:44 PM by Vraciu »
”KILLER V”
Charter Member of the P-51 Mustang Skin Mafia
King of the Hill Champ, Tour 219
The Damned
King of the Hill Win Percentage - 100 (1 Win, 0 Losses)

Offline Greebo

• Skinner Team
  • Platinum Member
Re: Lt. Charles W. Koenig - P-51D "Little Horse" (FT*K) - 354th FG, 353rd FS
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2022, 11:39:54 AM »
Beautifully done Vraciu, really nice skin.

Offline Devil 505

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2022, 11:49:29 AM »
Very nice
Kommando Nowotny

FlyKommando.com

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2022, 12:10:17 PM »
Fantastic-looking Pony skin. Love the runway overhead screenshots, great stuff!

Offline lyric1

• Skinner Team
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2022, 12:19:29 PM »
 :aok

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2022, 12:25:54 PM »
Thanks everyone. 

I still laugh when I look at my first skin realizing it took me MONTHS to draw as a single-layer diffuse.
”KILLER V”
The Damned

Offline Lazerr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2022, 05:50:56 PM »
Nice bird V.

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2022, 09:05:24 PM »
Thanks, Lazerr.

Also a thanks to Oboe for his pilot figure.  It is the standard to be measured against.
”KILLER V”
The Damned

Offline ZE

• Copper Member
Looks amazing Vraciu,

Still waiting for my brewster checkertaisl  :x

Offline FTJR

• Silver Member
Great Job V..  :aok
Bring the Beaufighter to Aces High
Raw Prawns      

B.O.S.S. "Beaufighter Operator Support Services" 
Storms and Aeroplanes dont mix

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
Thank you, gents.

ZE you crack me up. 
”KILLER V”
The Damned

Offline Kuhn

• Silver Member
      • Canvasman
 :aok
325th Checkertails

Offline JimmyD3

• Gold Member
Very nice V.   :salute
Kenai77
CO Sic Puppies MWK
USAF 1971-76

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
Thanks guys!
”KILLER V”
The Damned

Offline whiteman

• Platinum Member
Great looking Mustang!!