Author Topic: Book  (Read 9350 times)

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.electraforge.com/brooke/
Re: Book
« Reply #75 on: May 23, 2022, 05:36:33 PM »
Scared people ban or attempt to ban books.

And Twitter posts, Facebook posts, Youtube videos, and websites.

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #76 on: May 23, 2022, 06:22:39 PM »
And Twitter posts, Facebook posts, Youtube videos, and websites.

Don't confuse fiction books with hate speech or misinformation. Ayn Rand's stuff was never banned.  :old: :)

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #77 on: May 23, 2022, 11:26:48 PM »
Don't confuse fiction books with hate speech or misinformation.

One man's misinformation is another man's repressed truth.

Ayn Rand's stuff was never banned.  :old: :)

Yet that's not the case for The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn, some Dr. Seuss books, 1984, Brave New World, To Kill a Mockingbird.

If we are talking about the kerfuffle over what should be in one's kids' school library.

Yet what is in the school library has always been up to the local parents and community.  No one starts yelling "banning!" because grade-school libraries don't have Naked Lunch and Zorba the Greek.

I want free speech and freedom of the press for adults.  For kids, a parent is always to judge what is appropriate.

I want my kids to read those above books eventually, when I think it is age appropriate.  If those books aren't in the school library, I can easily still get them.  Lack of a book in the school library isn't a big deal.  They have limited selections anyway.

Offline zack1234

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #78 on: May 24, 2022, 12:37:11 AM »
I want the masses to have limited access to information especially American

Books are very upsetting to said individuals

When said individuals read such facts as the American civil war was not fought to end slavery they suffer anxiety.

So Lord if the rings and Elton johns warbling is better for said individuals
There are no pies stored in this plane overnight

The GFC
Pipz lived in the Wilderness near Ontario

Offline zack1234

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #79 on: May 24, 2022, 12:38:14 AM »
I want the masses to have limited access to information especially American

Books are very upsetting to said individuals

When said individuals read such facts as the American civil war was not fought to end slavery they suffer anxiety.

So Lord of the rings and Elton johns warbling is better for said individuals

The GFC

Offline RotBaron

• Gold Member
« Reply #80 on: May 24, 2022, 02:49:41 AM »
Books are not outlawed in the US, they are “banned” in certain places, such as schools and libraries.

Regrettably, those determining what is not allowed in our libraries and schools are oft politically or socio-political motivated.

A book on the most vile subject you can imagine (if there’s one written promoting it) can be found easily in the US, as it should be under the 1st Amendment. 

They're casting their bait over there, see?

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #81 on: May 24, 2022, 03:07:11 AM »
One man's misinformation is another man's repressed truth.

Yet that's not the case for The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn, some Dr. Seuss books, 1984, Brave New World, To Kill a Mockingbird.

If we are talking about the kerfuffle over what should be in one's kids' school library.

Yet what is in the school library has always been up to the local parents and community.  No one starts yelling "banning!" because grade-school libraries don't have Naked Lunch and Zorba the Greek.

I want free speech and freedom of the press for adults.  For kids, a parent is always to judge what is appropriate.

I want my kids to read those above books eventually, when I think it is age appropriate.  If those books aren't in the school library, I can easily still get them.  Lack of a book in the school library isn't a big deal.  They have limited selections anyway.

dr seuss books were never banned.  the family, or organization whatever you want to call it said since some of theme were not selling they would take them out of print.  from then on they came up with ham, bacon and green onions whatever book was being banned. so people rushed to buy them, but not many bought the books that were taken out of print due to low sales.

when my kids were little, my wife bought green ham and bacon to read to them, I thought it was stupid book.  I taught them to read from newspapers and magazines, or even junk mail. thought they were more interesting.

I dont remember when or how I learned to read, my grandma who raised me was a teacher.  by the time I was in first grade I could read and write. I was reading books that were more advanced for my age, I was not the only one. there was this other girl that also could read and write just like me.

all my kids were the same way.  you raise your kids the way you want, but bacon and eggs is just breakfast, teach them to learn about dinner.
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline zack1234

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #82 on: May 24, 2022, 06:00:57 AM »
Can anyone offer advice for books available to show me how to be a lady  :old:

The GFC

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #83 on: May 24, 2022, 07:56:31 AM »
Can anyone offer advice for books available to show me how to be a lady  :old:

Offline zack1234

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #84 on: May 24, 2022, 10:54:36 AM »
Kind regards for said book :)

The GFC

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #85 on: May 24, 2022, 06:09:51 PM »
dr seuss books were never banned.

(For sake of clarity, as RotBarron points out, few or no books are banned in recent times in the US.  We are talking about school libraries choosing not have this or that book, which is part of their normal function.)

the family, or organization whatever you want to call it said since some of theme were not selling they would take them out of print.

Once a library buys a book, it has it.  Matters not if the publisher ceases printing it later.  Lots of out-of-print books are in libraries.  Removing some of the Seuss books from the shelves (which many school libraries did) was a voluntary choice to get rid of it same as choosing to remove some other book, Huck Finn, say.

I'm not complaining about that.  School libraries can remove what they want.

It's only "banning" when one side wants it and the other doesn't.  When neither side wants it, no one is bandying about the word "banning."

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #86 on: May 24, 2022, 06:48:05 PM »
(For sake of clarity, as RotBarron points out, few or no books are banned in recent times in the US.  We are talking about school libraries choosing not have this or that book, which is part of their normal function.)

Once a library buys a book, it has it.  Matters not if the publisher ceases printing it later.  Lots of out-of-print books are in libraries.  Removing some of the Seuss books from the shelves (which many school libraries did) was a voluntary choice to get rid of it same as choosing to remove some other book, Huck Finn, say.

I'm not complaining about that.  School libraries can remove what they want.

It's only "banning" when one side wants it and the other doesn't.  When neither side wants it, no one is bandying about the word "banning."

look at it from another point of view.  libraries remove books that anybody hardly read.  it's all computerized now. I have never read any of his books. the books that you grew up with are not necessarily the books kids read now. so they make room for new books.

semp

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #87 on: May 24, 2022, 10:42:16 PM »
look at it from another point of view.  libraries remove books that anybody hardly read.  it's all computerized now. I have never read any of his books. the books that you grew up with are not necessarily the books kids read now. so they make room for new books.

semp

None of this controversy is about saving space on shelves or removing books that no one reads.

It's about left vs. right and what each side wants in or out of the school library.

My feeling:  Take it out if some group of parents is uncomfortable with it.  If you disagree, you can easily get the book for your kid another way.

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #88 on: May 24, 2022, 11:08:33 PM »
None of this controversy is about saving space on shelves or removing books that no one reads.

It's about left vs. right and what each side wants in or out of the school library.

My feeling:  Take it out if some group of parents is uncomfortable with it.  If you disagree, you can easily get the book for your kid another way.

RE: Left V. Right

I've not seen an instance of parents on the left spectrum trying to purge any book from a school library.

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #89 on: May 24, 2022, 11:39:51 PM »

answer this questions.  did you read the same books your grandparents had?  did they still have them in the library?  things change, you can make a political statement about it or make it about it.  but truth is kids dont want to read ham and bacon books.  my grandkids dont want to read them.  it's just that simple.

of course you'll come back to other books, but i refused to read to kill a mockingbird when I was in highschool.  read a few lines and thought it was boring.  on the other hand, i read the good earth.  you know how many kids now know about that book.  nobody.  and I thought it was a good book.  the pearl, wasnt so great.  and still nobody knows about them.

semp