Author Topic: This place has turned into flame warriors  (Read 2794 times)

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
Re: This place has turned into flame warriors
« Reply #30 on: July 12, 2022, 04:28:27 PM »
One thing that maybe some people don't think about is that this forum used to be massively popular. Before the heavy moderation.

About 800 people joined my website within a couple of weeks. The heavy moderation here is what drove most people away back then.

So if all you care about is having a small little niche place, then that's what you got with the moderation.

In my opinion the place was way more vibrant and interesting when things were allowed to play out.

I realized this is a business but look at it. It's not much of a business right now is it?

And I like Dale and I like the game. I loved these forums back in the day. It was an exciting time for the game too. But things don't stay the same. A lot of people have moved on.

Rules are for a reason. The boards here have gone down the tubes lately.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline -gg-

• Silver Member
      • IceCreamOnMars
« Reply #31 on: July 12, 2022, 05:03:47 PM »
The forums went down the tubes when it started to be heavily moderated. Hundreds of people left. The forum has been dead for years because of that.

I understand that this is a business, but the moderation is what drove lots of people away - not the behavior on the forums.

I guess it's relative. I think the forum went down the tubes when 100's of people left it.. and now we have maybe 10-15 people at a time logged in.

Now we have the worst of everything. No one is here and it's not moderated.

I have a proposal in to Dale:

1 Return moderation to the O'Club for the 10 people who like it that way
2. Open a new sub-forum - with way less moderation. People have to request access to participate in this area.

Or maybe Dale has decided not to have it moderated much as it is. I don't know.

« Last Edit: July 12, 2022, 06:19:02 PM by -gg- »
Icecreamonmars.com. ICOM for short.

Online The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #32 on: July 12, 2022, 08:21:37 PM »
What ever has Hitech busy is the only think allowing you people to trash this place. This board use to be "massively popular" when the majority of posts were about the game, WWII, aircraft both in and outside the game. The O'club was more along the lines of discussing other flight sims, new games, sports pro and college and so on.

All we see now is this stupid political crap. All you need to know about poilitics is that they are ALL crooked and they are only out for themselves and the money they can grab before they have to move out.

Its just a waste of pixels now.

Offline -gg-

• Silver Member
      • IceCreamOnMars
« Reply #33 on: July 12, 2022, 08:38:15 PM »
What ever has Hitech busy is the only think allowing you people to trash this place. This board use to be "massively popular" when the majority of posts were about the game, WWII, aircraft both in and outside the game. The O'club was more along the lines of discussing other flight sims, new games, sports pro and college and so on.

All we see now is this stupid political crap. All you need to know about poilitics is that they are ALL crooked and they are only out for themselves and the money they can grab before they have to move out.

Its just a waste of pixels now.

you're wrong. The O'Club was mostly non game related. You can easily go back and look. It was not moderated for politics or news or much of anything else.

It was fun and very active. When the moderation began is when about 800 or more people came to FlameWarriors within a few weeks of it opening in 2008. The forum died off with the moderation.

How many zippy and fun threads are being posted now? Not much - and it's not because the place has suddenly become "trashed"
People are having political discussions right now but I don't see anyone being uncivil. Do you?

HiTech may not care or maybe he is not able to keep up with it. Still, do you think that this place will magically become MORE vibrant if he starts moderating it all again? The political threads would stop, but then you will be left with what? You think people who want to post about the game are suddenly going to arrive in the O'Club?

The o'club was not very game related. You can easily look and see. Pre 2007 or 2008

Offline -gg-

• Silver Member
      • IceCreamOnMars
« Reply #34 on: July 12, 2022, 08:53:09 PM »
Sort threads by replies and look at those subjects

9/11, War, politics, Guns, Evolution, flames (Voss Conspiracy)

Or sort by oldest to newest.

Take a look at those threads and compare that to anything recent.

The place was not "trashed" then. It was alive.

Now we have 5 or so guys that tattle and report and admonish other posters. It's a boring-ass shell of what it was.

Offline -gg-

• Silver Member
      • IceCreamOnMars
« Reply #35 on: July 12, 2022, 09:03:59 PM »
https://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php/board,12.0/sort,replies/desc.html

https://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php/board,12.25/sort,replies/desc.html

These are the threads in the O'Club sorted by most replies.

The majority of these threads were started before 2009 and 2008, ran hundreds of pages and some were locked well after 2008 when the heavy moderation began.

Have a look and tell me that was a trashed forum.

These days, all the forums are dead. With maybe three threads in the main forum that have replies today. The O'Club is the most active right now, and the few people that do post are not being obnoxious or out of hand.

« Last Edit: July 12, 2022, 09:06:41 PM by -gg- »

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #36 on: July 12, 2022, 09:14:30 PM »
Give it a rest, Gina. Wanting to turn this forum into FWII and pestering Dale to let you run it is not serving this community.

Offline -gg-

• Silver Member
      • IceCreamOnMars
« Reply #37 on: July 12, 2022, 09:25:04 PM »
some of those old threads! LOL!

The stripperweb and PETA troll threads are within those two links. Some of those people have passed on now. That was the golden era of this game and this forum.

It's fun to browse the old threads and to see the names of people from back then.

Offline MiloMorai

• Platinum Member
« Reply #38 on: July 12, 2022, 09:50:20 PM »
Give it a rest, Gina. Wanting to turn this forum into FWII and pestering Dale to let you run it is not serving this community.
ICOM and FW are dying.

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #39 on: July 12, 2022, 10:05:40 PM »
ICOM and FW are dying.

Not my concern. Not my sympathy.

Offline -gg-

• Silver Member
      • IceCreamOnMars
« Reply #40 on: July 12, 2022, 10:08:40 PM »
FW is many times more active than this whole forum combined is. It has been for many years.

ICOM is busier than it's been in years because I decided to actually post there and make something of it again.

Offline MiloMorai

• Platinum Member
« Reply #41 on: July 12, 2022, 10:19:44 PM »
Not my concern. Not my sympathy.

It was a statement of why they are coming to AH. They chased too many ppl away from the BBs.

ICOM had 5 posts in the last 7 hours and one of them was by gg, a 1/2 hour ago.

Offline -gg-

• Silver Member
      • IceCreamOnMars
« Reply #42 on: July 12, 2022, 10:24:31 PM »
No one is coming here from ICOM or FW.

ICOM averages 16.8 posts per day. 

FW averages 293 posts per day.

Offline -gg-

• Silver Member
      • IceCreamOnMars
« Reply #43 on: July 12, 2022, 10:30:03 PM »
The old FW forum has been shut down for years but still online and it still has over 400 posts per day average. It was over 800 a day when it was active and before I moved it and basically shut it down.

Old FW
Statistics
688 Members
99,560 Threads
2,055,826 Posts (401.84 Posts per Day)

The current FW has only been around since 2017

FW
statistics
524 Members
13,037 Threads
525,894 Posts (293.14 Posts per Day)

ICOM
Statistics
96 Members
836 Threads
17,283 Posts (16.83 Posts per Day)

« Last Edit: July 12, 2022, 10:31:58 PM by -gg- »

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #44 on: July 12, 2022, 11:06:57 PM »
Then you should have your hands full there.