Author Topic: The Great Unwinding  (Read 6160 times)

Offline MiloMorai

• Platinum Member
Re: The Great Unwinding
« Reply #30 on: July 15, 2022, 03:07:54 PM »
The corporations can of course afford to pay these wages but refuse to because typically there is usually someone willing to work for less.

The share holders would raise almighty hell.

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
    • Twitch: Twitch Feed
« Reply #31 on: July 15, 2022, 03:33:28 PM »
The share holders would raise almighty hell.
Oh no! Anyway...
i7-12700k | Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 | EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | H150i Capellix

FlyKommando.com

Offline DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #32 on: July 15, 2022, 03:55:54 PM »
You certainly aren't wrong.

The issue with wage stems from the stagnation that happened back in the 70s. People were just fine with it as it got worse and worse. Corporate profits skyrocketed and wages stayed the same. Now, people want more than the 'market rate' that has been 'set' by these various jobs and industries for a long time mainly because the cost of living is so much higher. The corporations can of course afford to pay these wages but refuse to because typically there is usually someone willing to work for less.

Just my non-boomer-old-white way of looking at it.

I agree - businesses should be out there trying to hire the best workers for the job and pay accordingly to get those people, but then that would effect their bottom line and CEO wouldn't be able to buy the new 2023 Ferrari.

True, but as the saying goes, "You generally get what you pay for". My theory if you will, is that businesses would actually make more in profits by hiring better workers at higher wages which increases quality and customer satisfaction.
The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-
2014 & 2018 KoTH ToC Champion

Offline MiloMorai

• Platinum Member
« Reply #33 on: July 15, 2022, 03:58:17 PM »
True, but as the saying goes, "You generally get what you pay for". My theory if you will, is that businesses would actually make more in profits by hiring better workers at higher wages which increases quality and customer satisfaction.

Making the workers a share holder in the company is a good incentive.

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #34 on: July 15, 2022, 04:42:59 PM »
You certainly aren't wrong.

The issue with wage stems from the stagnation that happened back in the 70s. People were just fine with it as it got worse and worse. Corporate profits skyrocketed and wages stayed the same. Now, people want more than the 'market rate' that has been 'set' by these various jobs and industries for a long time mainly because the cost of living is so much higher. The corporations can of course afford to pay these wages but refuse to because typically there is usually someone willing to work for less.

Just my non-boomer-old-white way of looking at it.

I agree - businesses should be out there trying to hire the best workers for the job and pay accordingly to get those people, but then that would effect their bottom line and CEO wouldn't be able to buy the new 2023 Ferrari.

In the end, the person who sets one's worth is their own self. What will they work for? If it meets their requirement, they take the job.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #35 on: July 15, 2022, 05:06:50 PM »
Making the workers a share holder in the company is a good incentive.

Those are great incentives. Providing a 401k is great aswell. I set up a Simple IRA at one of the businesses I worked for and it worked really well. Some of those guys were investing 600 a month with a 3% match, the salesmen would sometimes put thousands a month. I had 6k invested just in that in 2 years and 10k with the unrealized gains that I've since lost. The one thing though that you have to b careful with though is you don't want to profit share as a business owner because then your best people will retire early and you don't necessarily want that for your business.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2022, 05:09:34 PM by DmonSlyr »
The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-
2014 & 2018 KoTH ToC Champion

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
    • Twitch: Twitch Feed
« Reply #36 on: July 15, 2022, 07:58:13 PM »
In the end, the person who sets one's worth is their own self. What will they work for? If it meets their requirement, they take the job.
Yeah, that's the point. People are starting to set their own worth higher than said 'market price'. And the Old White Boomers don't know what to do.
i7-12700k | Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 | EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | H150i Capellix

FlyKommando.com

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.electraforge.com/brooke/
« Reply #37 on: July 16, 2022, 02:06:26 AM »
I would prefer seeing the rates pegged to some variation of the Taylor Rule.

I think it would be better without the Fed.  Interest rates then would be set by a market, which is ultimately the true determiner anyway in the long run.

Offline zack1234

• Plutonium Member
There are no pies stored in this plane overnight

The GFC
Pipz lived in the Wilderness near Ontario

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.electraforge.com/brooke/
« Reply #39 on: July 16, 2022, 02:14:06 AM »
Market price is determined by both sides, buyer and seller, or employer and employee.  Both have to be OK with it for the transaction to go through.

Offline RotBaron

• Gold Member
« Reply #40 on: July 16, 2022, 04:19:05 AM »
Yeah, that's the point. People are starting to set their own worth higher than said 'market price'. And the Old White Boomers don't know what to do.

Interesting POV, I wonder why I’m seeing reporting every week on CBS about minority owned businesses not being able to find employees  :headscratch:
They're casting their bait over there, see?

Offline zack1234

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #41 on: July 16, 2022, 06:39:23 AM »
Cheap credit for morons is finished

BLM
UKRAINE
BENDING THE KNEE
MONKEY POX

you clowns have been living off credit for 30 
Years.

Time for reality financial reset

I pay with cash , my car is a piece of crap focus and my house is paid for.

I own everything

You own nothing except debt

Your masters don’t need you now and they are asking for their money back

PUT YOUR MASKS BACK ON AND BE A MAN OR A WOMAN.
There are no pies stored in this plane overnight

The GFC
Pipz lived in the Wilderness near Ontario

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #42 on: July 16, 2022, 06:41:08 AM »
Interesting POV, I wonder why I’m seeing reporting every week on CBS about minority owned businesses not being able to find employees  :headscratch:

Same as all businesses. Government handouts.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #43 on: July 16, 2022, 07:03:40 AM »

And like the US software engineers in the late 90's early 2000s they will price themselves out of a job ..replaced with cheaper alternatives

With higher salaries come higher prices as corporations will protect their profits

Eagler
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline RotBaron

• Gold Member
« Reply #44 on: July 16, 2022, 07:45:45 AM »
I’d gladly put my mask back on if it meant I didn’t catch the latest mutation.

Unfortunately I did both.

This crap has hit practically every body system for me: digestive, respiratory, cardiovascular (higher resting heart rate), neuromuscular…

Body aches and headache from Hades at times. Day 10 and pretty much over the worst I hope, but what lingers is my taste is so altered nearly everything tastes horrible or the aftertaste does, 3 sips into a cup of coffee it tastes like garbage. 

Hope you fair better if you get this crap.
They're casting their bait over there, see?