Author Topic: Air conditioning is now evil  (Read 6236 times)

Offline perdue3

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Platinum Member
Re: Air conditioning is now evil
« Reply #30 on: July 26, 2022, 02:23:24 PM »
They are talking about systemic racism as it pertains to city planning and sections of areas where cultures mingle. Power and utility companies effectively have a monopoly in every part of the country which means you have to pay whatever the rate is regardless of your income. So, in many ways, there is no relative cost of power unlike rent, taxes, and food. You can't just simply read an article and spew it, there are underlying issues which must be understood in order to understand the article. That is any political or socioeconomic article, not just this one.
C.O. Kommando Nowotny 

FlyKommando.com

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #31 on: July 26, 2022, 02:47:53 PM »
How did people live before A/C?

Don't you believe man is making it hotter? It was cold back then..... so those types think.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline TheBug

• Platinum Member
« Reply #32 on: July 26, 2022, 02:57:57 PM »
They are talking about systemic racism as it pertains to city planning and sections of areas where cultures mingle. Power and utility companies effectively have a monopoly in every part of the country which means you have to pay whatever the rate is regardless of your income. So, in many ways, there is no relative cost of power unlike rent, taxes, and food. You can't just simply read an article and spew it, there are underlying issues which must be understood in order to understand the article. That is any political or socioeconomic article, not just this one.

Don't bother, not worth the energy.  They are content with their ignorance, it is apparently soothing to them.
“It's a big ocean, you don't have to find the enemy if you don't want to."
  -Richard O'Kane

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #33 on: July 26, 2022, 03:02:56 PM »
What irritates me is that they try to make everything about race. One of those articles actually said that black areas of the same city are hotter and that they suffer more even if they have air-conditioning too

They love telling us that it's all climate change and that climate change dissapropriety affects minorities. That's insulting.

Racist always make everything about race. You see it every day. It is so bad that some people use their color as an excuse. Everyone is more the same than different. It is the individual who can choose to achieve or fail all on their own.
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #34 on: July 26, 2022, 03:10:14 PM »
I would say inflation on anything is racist then...why only pick own energy?

We know why...

Eagler
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #35 on: July 26, 2022, 03:18:30 PM »
I would say inflation on anything is racist then...why only pick own energy?

We know why...

Eagler

The faster it rises, the more like a race it is.  :rofl
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline -gg-

• Silver Member
      • IceCreamOnMars
« Reply #36 on: July 26, 2022, 03:32:34 PM »

And they are full of beans. Why can't they just say impoverished people? There are not only black people living in poor areas. I live in a trailer park myself. They try to make it about race as much as possible. They even said in the article that black people suffer more even when they have air conditioning. Black people they said. Why not just poor people? Or why not just people that live in a certain neighborhood?

I think a lot of people are tired of the racism. I know I am..
Icecreamonmars.com. ICOM for short.

Offline perdue3

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #37 on: July 26, 2022, 03:59:20 PM »
And they are full of beans. Why can't they just say impoverished people? There are not only black people living in poor areas. I live in a trailer park myself. They try to make it about race as much as possible. They even said in the article that black people suffer more even when they have air conditioning. Black people they said. Why not just poor people? Or why not just people that live in a certain neighborhood?

I think a lot of people are tired of the racism. I know I am..

If you look at impoverished areas, the race demographics are imbalanced. This is because of systemic racism for centuries in our country, not necessarily a result of racism today. Those impoverished areas have been that way for an entire century, I'd argue, or at least that's the way it is here in the South.

I am not arguing, just putting more meat on the bones of this article for you and others.
C.O. Kommando Nowotny 

FlyKommando.com

Offline -gg-

• Silver Member
      • IceCreamOnMars
« Reply #38 on: July 26, 2022, 04:38:43 PM »
I understand.

I just don't think that what they are mentioning in the article makes sense. Like they were mentioning that black people are more likely to suffer even if they have air conditioning. And that city planning didn't allow them to have trees or whatever.

I don't think these days there is deliberate racial discrimination in city planning. Where I live is mostly Hispanic and black. I'm a minority here. To lump racism into climate change and suffering from heat to me is ridiculous. I mean it doesn't matter what color you are. I don't think climate change attacks minorities more than it attacks anybody else.

Sure, you can make an argument that minorities live in poorer areas but there's a lot of poor white people around too. I just don't like when people put a spin on things and tied into racism. Why can't we just move forward?

You see it a lot too. They try to tell you that climate change affects certain races more than others. I think that's complete BS.

But those articles were mostly about air conditioning being evil now. And a lot of that was anti-American. I don't know if it's because of the heat wave in Europe that they are thinking about this now? Whatever it is that's ridiculous as well. They did mention in the article that some 3% of Germans have air conditioning in their homes and that author was saying how he was mocking Americans that visit him and complain that it's hot and his apartment. Basically saying that air conditioning is not needed. I'll bet you every car sold has air conditioning though. And I'll bet you they all have nice heating.

I just think people are sick of all these games that the media and others are playing on us. I think most people see right through it and I think it's an insult to their intelligence.

Offline perdue3

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #39 on: July 26, 2022, 06:16:53 PM »
I understand.

I just don't think that what they are mentioning in the article makes sense. Like they were mentioning that black people are more likely to suffer even if they have air conditioning. And that city planning didn't allow them to have trees or whatever.

I don't think these days there is deliberate racial discrimination in city planning. Where I live is mostly Hispanic and black. I'm a minority here. To lump racism into climate change and suffering from heat to me is ridiculous. I mean it doesn't matter what color you are. I don't think climate change attacks minorities more than it attacks anybody else.

Sure, you can make an argument that minorities live in poorer areas but there's a lot of poor white people around too. I just don't like when people put a spin on things and tied into racism. Why can't we just move forward?

You see it a lot too. They try to tell you that climate change affects certain races more than others. I think that's complete BS.

But those articles were mostly about air conditioning being evil now. And a lot of that was anti-American. I don't know if it's because of the heat wave in Europe that they are thinking about this now? Whatever it is that's ridiculous as well. They did mention in the article that some 3% of Germans have air conditioning in their homes and that author was saying how he was mocking Americans that visit him and complain that it's hot and his apartment. Basically saying that air conditioning is not needed. I'll bet you every car sold has air conditioning though. And I'll bet you they all have nice heating.

I just think people are sick of all these games that the media and others are playing on us. I think most people see right through it and I think it's an insult to their intelligence.

Climate change and racism are not directly linked, obviously. But the effects are felt more with low income families. The percentage of low income families are wildly disproportionate racially. "Like they were mentioning that black people are more likely to suffer even if they have air conditioning." This seems an odd thing to say and they either are actually spouting nonsense as empirical fact or it has been misunderstood. And what they most likely actually mean is something like if they pay for A/C, they can't pay for something else like groceries, insurance, rent, healthcare, etc. "And that city planning didn't allow them to have trees or whatever." This makes much more sense. Most minorities live together in specific parts of cities and that area is generally low cost with a lack of parks, nature, and general upkeep by the municipality. That is not because of racism in 2020 or even 2000, but from the 1950s and even earlier. We call this systemic racism, where it is not explicit, it "just happened" over time.

Saying things like "there are poor white people, too" makes me want to leave this conversation, for it is similar to an oak tree. Of course there are, but look at percentages and weights of the populace. Is it proportionate? You claim that it is BS to say climate change affects other races more than others. That is not true, you are only looking at it from a scientific and literal point of view. Of course, we are all human and heat affects us the same way. That is not what they mean. Think of what climate change does in terms of money required and then weigh in the facts about utilities in this country (going back to my monopoly comment). Utility companies successfully breach the Sherman Anti-Trust Act because of a technicality and because of practicality. Alas, they are allowed to boss the market in your area and a mansion owner pays the same rate a trailer owner pays per watt in the same town/power district. Add in the social geography of minorities and low income families and it suddenly makes perfect sense that global warming affects those people more negatively than middle class. I will say that the article took some liberties with semantics which makes it not a completely unbiased article. With that being said, the point remains that more power usage will affect a low income family more so than a mid to high income family.

Regarding Europeans, they hate Americans and rightfully so. We are the personification of every cardinal sin, but most egregiously gluttony. In our defense, it gets up to 40C (110F) degrees here in most places. In many places it stays at that temperature or near it for more than a third of the year. So, they can suck it. Like my friends who live up north in NY, MA, and IA wonder why I even need heat when it gets down to only about 45F, northern Europeans wonder why we need so much A/C.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2022, 06:18:26 PM by perdue3 »
C.O. Kommando Nowotny 

FlyKommando.com

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #40 on: July 26, 2022, 06:21:50 PM »

Regarding Europeans, they hate Americans and rightfully so. We are the personification of every cardinal sin, but most egregiously gluttony.

Americans = the ironical puritans.

Offline -gg-

• Silver Member
      • IceCreamOnMars
« Reply #41 on: July 26, 2022, 06:31:57 PM »
I lived in Phoenix for about 38 years, so I do know heat.

Offline -gg-

• Silver Member
      • IceCreamOnMars
« Reply #42 on: July 26, 2022, 07:08:59 PM »
Climate change and racism are not directly linked, obviously. But the effects are felt more with low income families. The percentage of low income families are wildly disproportionate racially. "Like they were mentioning that black people are more likely to suffer even if they have air conditioning." This seems an odd thing to say and they either are actually spouting nonsense as empirical fact or it has been misunderstood. And what they most likely actually mean is something like if they pay for A/C, they can't pay for something else like groceries, insurance, rent, healthcare, etc. "And that city planning didn't allow them to have trees or whatever." This makes much more sense. Most minorities live together in specific parts of cities and that area is generally low cost with a lack of parks, nature, and general upkeep by the municipality. That is not because of racism in 2020 or even 2000, but from the 1950s and even earlier. We call this systemic racism, where it is not explicit, it "just happened" over time.

Saying things like "there are poor white people, too" makes me want to leave this conversation, for it is similar to an oak tree. Of course there are, but look at percentages and weights of the populace. Is it proportionate? You claim that it is BS to say climate change affects other races more than others. That is not true, you are only looking at it from a scientific and literal point of view. Of course, we are all human and heat affects us the same way. That is not what they mean. Think of what climate change does in terms of money required and then weigh in the facts about utilities in this country (going back to my monopoly comment). Utility companies successfully breach the Sherman Anti-Trust Act because of a technicality and because of practicality. Alas, they are allowed to boss the market in your area and a mansion owner pays the same rate a trailer owner pays per watt in the same town/power district. Add in the social geography of minorities and low income families and it suddenly makes perfect sense that global warming affects those people more negatively than middle class. I will say that the article took some liberties with semantics which makes it not a completely unbiased article. With that being said, the point remains that more power usage will affect a low income family more so than a mid to high income family.

Regarding Europeans, they hate Americans and rightfully so. We are the personification of every cardinal sin, but most egregiously gluttony. In our defense, it gets up to 40C (110F) degrees here in most places. In many places it stays at that temperature or near it for more than a third of the year. So, they can suck it. Like my friends who live up north in NY, MA, and IA wonder why I even need heat when it gets down to only about 45F, northern Europeans wonder why we need so much A/C.

from the first article - and this is what I was referring to when I said that they said blacks are impacted more - I mean, "air conditioning divide us by race and class"  Seriously? This whole paragraph is laughably ridiculous.

They telling me that black people, just because they are black, suffer and pay higher prices for electricity. Which is total BS. They should substitute "poor" for "black" but then they couldn't make it about race.

I'm just tired of this kind of "news" .  And the reason I posted this thread was that I kept seeing news stories about air conditioning being touted as evil or somehow gluttonous. I wondered why these articles about AC suddenly are in the news. It's as if someone hired a PR firm to get this message out and I wondered why that is

Air conditioning divides us by race and class—especially during inflation. Since low-income neighborhoods of color are hotter, it can take more energy (i.e., more money) to cool homes in those communities to the same temperature as wealthier neighborhoods. In addition, a recent study found that Black residents spend hundreds of dollars more on energy bills than white residents even though they were 50% more likely to give up basic necessities and 40% more likely to keep the home at an unhealthy temperature to pay those higher bills. So even when Black households seem to have equal access to energy, the energy infrastructure continues to burden nonwhite residents more intensely than it does whites.

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #43 on: July 26, 2022, 08:20:21 PM »
if you are tired of those type of news, stop reading them.  and specially stop posting them.

semp

you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline perdue3

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #44 on: July 26, 2022, 09:08:40 PM »

from the first article - and this is what I was referring to when I said that they said blacks are impacted more - I mean, "air conditioning divide us by race and class"  Seriously? This whole paragraph is laughably ridiculous.

They telling me that black people, just because they are black, suffer and pay higher prices for electricity. Which is total BS. They should substitute "poor" for "black" but then they couldn't make it about race.

I'm just tired of this kind of "news" .  And the reason I posted this thread was that I kept seeing news stories about air conditioning being touted as evil or somehow gluttonous. I wondered why these articles about AC suddenly are in the news. It's as if someone hired a PR firm to get this message out and I wondered why that is

Some of that is refutable and some of it makes sense based on what I have already said. I am not sure what they mean by low-income areas being hotter unless they mean the housing and equipment is overall less efficient and poorly maintained. This, obviously, would drive the price up. I feel like you could have arrived at this meaning yourself with just a little bit of critical thinking. I remember cooling my small home with 4 window units in a super inefficient house and my bill was twice as much as my uncle's 2,750 sq. ft. two story home. But, we were practically neighbors so the outside temperature was not hotter, but it took more energy to cool my house because I did not have the capital to spend on a central HVAC unit that can cost in the neighborhood of $7,000. Again, I think this is a misunderstanding and a fairly poor job of explaining it by them. In their defense, I think they expect readers to have a basic understanding of socioeconomics and cultural geography in America.

It is not being delivered as evil, it is being delivered as an unforeseen and unexpected byproduct of centuries of systemic racism. You are not reading it that way because you either disagree or are ignorant to the facts the article failed to mention which I have.

If you don't like this type of news, steer away from it. Especially if you can't understand what they mean and believe them to mean one thing when in fact they just did not spell out the underlying issue for you. And, please do not share news that you don't understand AND don't like to read.
C.O. Kommando Nowotny 

FlyKommando.com