Author Topic: 5 years ago today - Total solar eclipse visible from North America  (Read 2277 times)

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
It's been 5 years since that total solar eclipse. If you were in North America, did you see it? Take pictures?
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline -gg-

• Silver Member
      • IceCreamOnMars
Re: 5 years ago today - Total solar eclipse visible from North America
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2022, 10:52:15 AM »
yesterday?

I didn't know about it. 
Icecreamonmars.com. ICOM for short.

Offline eddiek

• Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2022, 11:10:22 AM »
I saw it, waited around 4 days instead of driving home from ND when my work deployment ended.
Found a spot out in the country near Tryon, NE.
Took tons of pictures……have them on one of my laptops at home.
Once I saw the eclipse had reached totality, I took a look with the naked eye.  Can’t describe it, or rather, I lack the words to fully describe not only what I saw, but how I felt seeing it. 
According to another man who had set up near me to view it, I was within 9 meters of the exact center of the path.  He was here on behalf of some science project out of Germany, said they had observers spread out about every 100 miles or so.  He seemed to be the expert, so I had to take his word that I got that close to the center of the path.  Couldn’t make him understand or believe that it was pure luck or chance and that I wasn’t there at the behest of some scientific group.
If I were to try to describe the events that took place, especially in the 2-3 minutes leading up to totality, few people would believe them:
Three minutes prior, the farmer’s dogs across the road stopped barking abruptly;
Two minutes prior, the cattle in the field next to me (I was pulled off the side of a farm to market road, the cattle were literally across the fence from me) stopped mooing and laid down/settle down…none remained standing….;
One minute prior and up totality….not even insect noises….as close to total silence as I’ve experienced in such an environment…..

When it was over, I packed up the cameras, tripod, etc, then fought the traffic jam back to North Platte, NE, then 5 or 6 hours later I was home.

And I am already making plans to see the next one in 2024, which will be visible in TX so I don’t have to leave the state to see it.

Offline -gg-

• Silver Member
      • IceCreamOnMars
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2022, 11:19:14 AM »
oh, five years ago.

LOL.

Yeah, I do remember that one. I have it on my old desk calendar still. I was looking at the eclipse and that's when I found out that Jerry Lewis had croaked. I went inside and passed out from the emotion.

Offline sparky127

• Nickel Member
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2022, 11:20:41 AM »
Yes!  I remember!  I was at work and we took turns using a welding shield to look at it.

Pretty neato!

Offline -gg-

• Silver Member
      • IceCreamOnMars
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2022, 11:22:00 AM »
why were you using a welder's helmet? I just looked right at it. Why spoil the view?

Offline sparky127

• Nickel Member
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2022, 11:24:39 AM »
Didn't you listen to your mamma?  Didn't you pay heed to Bruce Stringbean??

Online Meatwad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2022, 07:23:55 PM »
Luckily where I live, I was almost directly on the path of totality, like around 99.something percent. I just went into the backyard and camped out. Right before totality, everything had this eerie glow to it from the sunlight going away, like an otherworldly eerie look from the jacked up sunlight and shadows. Had an extra pair of the eclipse sunglasses that I took apart and used it as a filter for my camera on the tripod. Took a lot of pictures.

Right before totality, the light quickly went away FAST. Cant even describe how awesome it was. Closest thing I seen for it is from this clip

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fmIaHAtabSU

At the 1:09 mark. One of those you have to be there to believe it things. Then it was over, and then the light came back fast too. Somewhere I have all the pictures saved on here
See Rule 19- Do not place sausage on pizza.
I am No-Sausage-On-Pizza-Wad.
Das Funkillah - I kill hangers, therefore I am a funkiller. Coming to a vulchfest near you.
You cant tie a loop around 400000 lbs of locomotive using a 2 foot rope - Drediock on fat women

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2022, 07:27:37 PM »
Kelly and I drove to Wyoming to see it.  :)

Offline sparky127

• Nickel Member
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2022, 07:58:10 PM »
I heard you flew your Lear jet to Nova Scotia to see it...

Offline spudman

• Persona Non Grata
  • Zinc Member
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2022, 08:01:07 PM »
I bet arlo thinks this song is about him

Offline 100Coogn

• Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2022, 08:02:48 PM »
I bet arlo thinks this song is about him

He's So Vain.  :aok

Coogan
« Last Edit: August 21, 2022, 08:04:50 PM by 100Coogn »
From Wiley: If you're hitting them after they drop, that's not defense, that is revenge.
Game Id's:
AHIII: Coogan
RDR2: Coogan_Bear
MSFS-2020: Coogan Bear

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2022, 08:23:14 PM »
Sorry. Didn't get the memo. Tag all future thread titles with 'Arlo not allowed to participate in this public thread.' Thanks in advance.  :D

Offline -gg-

• Silver Member
      • IceCreamOnMars
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2022, 08:28:50 PM »
His scarf.

It was apricot

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2022, 08:42:22 PM »
Is El Spudo an ICOMmie? Was there a bat signal for help sent so Toad came running? Whoops. Forgot. Not allowed to respond in this thread. :)