Author Topic: Forty eight people in the main on Saturday ??  (Read 5395 times)

Offline Mongoose

• Silver Member
      • Kentwood Station
Re: Forty eight people in the main on Saturday ??
« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2022, 10:19:47 AM »
I don't know what game you guys were playing.  Yesterday I was playing Aces High III and had a blast.  I was playing about midday, Pacific time.  Numbers weren't real high, but we had a bunch of good fights, and captured some bases.

I had to log off for a few hours, but came back on about 7:30 Pacific to a new map.  Again we had a number of good fights.  I helped save a couple of bases, and helped capture a couple of bases, and spread bullets all over the sky.  Over all it was a good day.
My Aces High fan site:
www.kentwoodstation.com

Offline whiteman

• Platinum Member
« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2022, 11:10:50 AM »
Buzzsaw has been rolled and we now have CraterMA. Let the complaints begin.

Online nopoop

• Gold Member
« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2022, 11:51:27 AM »
I don't know what game you guys were playing.  Yesterday I was playing Aces High III and had a blast.  I was playing about midday, Pacific time.  Numbers weren't real high, but we had a bunch of good fights, and captured some bases.

I had to log off for a few hours, but came back on about 7:30 Pacific to a new map.  Again we had a number of good fights.  I helped save a couple of bases, and helped capture a couple of bases, and spread bullets all over the sky.  Over all it was a good day.

Mongoose you actually prove the point I'm trying to make.

The point being that maps really don't make any difference to those that love the war thing.

Looking at your scores it's evident that you play in the war that never ends. That and you don't spend a lot of time playing.

You have 37 sorties this tour with 20 sorties in a fighter. Of those you landed 17 in a P38L. That tells me they are jabo sorties in the war, and you take zero chances.

That's fine, you enjoy that war and maps really don't make any difference. Rolling a base is the same on all the maps.

But what I do, maps make a huge difference. It's Sunday late morning with the crater map.    Currently 30 people are playing. THIRTY.

i'm here for the fight win or lose. Try and find a fight with 30 people playing.  Those playing are prolly rolling bases.  Smaller maps confine the player census to a smaller area. With that the chances of an actual fight.

I see the drop off with the larger maps EVERY time.. I play a lot. 354 sorties so far this tour. 98% in air to air fights. One on ones, two on twos, 7 on 7's. I die a lot. But I'm not about score...

I'm about that great fight that makes this game what it is. Edge of your seat fight where you might not live but that 1 minute of flight makes it all worth it.

Smaller maps work very well in setting the stage for fights while it really doesn't make a difference if your fighting the war that never ends.

So enjoy your war, smaller maps won't make a difference for you.

But for the fighters in this game it makes a big difference.

<S>
nopoop

It's ALL about the fight..

Offline Bopgun

• Nickel Member
« Reply #18 on: August 28, 2022, 12:36:44 PM »
I don’t mind CraterMA, maybe it’s an unpopular opinion
Ingame: StepSis

Stuck in the Washing Machine!

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 28, 2022, 12:37:33 PM »
I don't know what game you guys were playing.  Yesterday I was playing Aces High III and had a blast.  I was playing about midday, Pacific time.

When you are playing in a different timezone, you may be playing an entirely different game.

For example this is me logging in Friday early noon. Son still in school, wife at work, so a good time for some gaming. But:

I was the only active knight, and this 30k B29s were the only enemy active on my front. As he was already almost at his target, it made no sense to go after him, he would be home long before I could catch up.

The same Friday evening saw barely 40 players at Euro prime time. With numbers like this, it's a roll of the dice if you get anything resembling a 'battle', and if any, it's usually just a single one between two of the three countries.
And that is the game many of us are (or, as in my case : were) playing.

« Last Edit: August 28, 2022, 01:08:17 PM by Lusche »
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #20 on: August 28, 2022, 12:52:31 PM »
It's Sunday late morning with the crater map.    Currently 30 people are playing. THIRTY.

Wow.  30 players on the weekend.  That doesn't sound like a lot.

Especially spread thinly across large 3 country maps.

Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.

Offline DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #21 on: August 28, 2022, 01:06:28 PM »
Buzzsaw has been rolled and we now have CraterMA. Let the complaints begin.

BowlMA up for 5 days, very low #s for most of the day every day.
Then Buzkill, horrible map which causes low #s for most of the day everyday.
Then CraterMA another huge map that hardly anyone plays on during the day, very hard to find good battles outside of primetime. Will be on for 3-5 days generally.

All 3 maps should be removed and you'd see a solid uptick in #s on the daily with the smaller maps.

These 3 maps back to back to back are  not good for the #s. I'm not sure exactly why Hitech can't see this.
The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-
2014 & 2018 KoTH ToC Champion

Offline BigR

• Silver Member
« Reply #22 on: August 28, 2022, 06:02:39 PM »
BowlMA up for 5 days, very low #s for most of the day every day.
Then Buzkill, horrible map which causes low #s for most of the day everyday.
Then CraterMA another huge map that hardly anyone plays on during the day, very hard to find good battles outside of primetime. Will be on for 3-5 days generally.

All 3 maps should be removed and you'd see a solid uptick in #s on the daily with the smaller maps.

These 3 maps back to back to back are  not good for the #s. I'm not sure exactly why Hitech can't see this.

Exactly, lots of people immediately log when they see that steaming pile of a map. Big maps were ok when we had 300-500 people online. With 100 people , they are horrible, with 50 or less they are unplayable. Its mostly milk runners at that point, all in their different spots of the map flying around by themselves. At that point they might as well be offline. I don't play under BigR much anymore, but I am in the arena quite a bit. Sad that it has come to this, but I guess all good things come to an end.

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #23 on: August 28, 2022, 09:06:13 PM »

Exactly, lots of people immediately log when they see that steaming pile of a map. Big maps were ok when we had 300-500 people online. With 100 people , they are horrible, with 50 or less they are unplayable. Its mostly milk runners at that point, all in their different spots of the map flying around by themselves. At that point they might as well be offline. I don't play under BigR much anymore, but I am in the arena quite a bit. Sad that it has come to this, but I guess all good things come to an end.

Agreed.

.....and BigR, I still have a number of your films on my computer which I watch often  <S>

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #24 on: August 29, 2022, 07:38:48 AM »
You can usually find a good fight on most maps...

It's the 15 to 30 minutes in between that kills it for me

I find myself just getting killed to save the long and boring flights back to base to land the kills and then all the way back to the fight from take off...

When you only have about an hour a day you don't want to spend half the time flying from point a to b..

That is why tonight I will be in MNM...more kills in there in an hour then all the rest of the week combined

Eagler
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline Mongoose

• Silver Member
      • Kentwood Station
« Reply #25 on: August 29, 2022, 11:32:28 AM »
You look at my stats and you make a lot of assumptions, only some are true.

you don't spend a lot of time playing.

True.  I don't play nearly as much as I would like to.  Real Life keeps me busy, and I usually only spend a few hours in game each week.  I actually did not get to fly for two whole weeks due to RL issues.  But I did get some time in last weekend (when this thread started with people complaining about the lack of fights), and I got in a lot of dogfights and had a lot of fun.

You have 37 sorties this tour with 20 sorties in a fighter. Of those you landed 17 in a P38L. That tells me they are jabo sorties in the war, and you take zero chances.

Here you miss it entirely.  I fly the P38L almost exclusively.  The Lightning is my ride.  Those times I was not flying the Lightning I was running troops or supplies, because that's what my team needed at the time.  And yes, some of my time in the P38 I was doing ground attack, because, again, that's what my team needed at the time.

But I still got in a lot of furballs.  Some of those fights were because of the ground attack.  The other team was defending against our attempt to capture a base, and that resulted in a good dogfight of the type many people are complaining they can't find.

and you take zero chances.

Anyone who has seen me fly should know this isn't true.  I take lots of chances, and I get shot down a lot.  As long as you are looking at my stats, take a look at my K/D stats.

I'm about that great fight that makes this game what it is. Edge of your seat fight where you might not live but that 1 minute of flight makes it all worth it.

So am I.  I am also about the teamwork and strategy of base capture.  And the attempt at base capture often leads the the great fight "that makes this game what it is". 

Smaller maps work very well in setting the stage for fights while it really doesn't make a difference if your fighting the war that never ends.

So enjoy your war, smaller maps won't make a difference for you.

But for the fighters in this game it makes a big difference.

I am one of the fighters in this game.  I don't like the low numbers either.  But normally I can still find a fight.  As long as I keep my enthusiasm, I figure we have a better chance of getting more people in than if I complain and log off.

:salute
My Aces High fan site:
www.kentwoodstation.com

Online nopoop

• Gold Member
« Reply #26 on: August 29, 2022, 12:45:20 PM »
nopoop

It's ALL about the fight..

Offline whiteman

• Platinum Member
« Reply #27 on: August 29, 2022, 12:56:05 PM »
You look at my stats and you make a lot of assumptions, only some are true.

True.  I don't play nearly as much as I would like to.  Real Life keeps me busy, and I usually only spend a few hours in game each week.  I actually did not get to fly for two whole weeks due to RL issues.  But I did get some time in last weekend (when this thread started with people complaining about the lack of fights), and I got in a lot of dogfights and had a lot of fun.

Here you miss it entirely.  I fly the P38L almost exclusively.  The Lightning is my ride.  Those times I was not flying the Lightning I was running troops or supplies, because that's what my team needed at the time.  And yes, some of my time in the P38 I was doing ground attack, because, again, that's what my team needed at the time.

But I still got in a lot of furballs.  Some of those fights were because of the ground attack.  The other team was defending against our attempt to capture a base, and that resulted in a good dogfight of the type many people are complaining they can't find.

Anyone who has seen me fly should know this isn't true.  I take lots of chances, and I get shot down a lot.  As long as you are looking at my stats, take a look at my K/D stats.

So am I.  I am also about the teamwork and strategy of base capture.  And the attempt at base capture often leads the the great fight "that makes this game what it is". 

I am one of the fighters in this game.  I don't like the low numbers either.  But normally I can still find a fight.  As long as I keep my enthusiasm, I figure we have a better chance of getting more people in than if I complain and log off.

We sound like the same type, except i try to spend time in the Corsair. That's exactly how i play and played this weekend. I flew more bomber sorties this weekend than last 2-3 tours combined because that's what was needed. I never go looking for a furball, I'm always lugging bombs some where and then the fight is on.

Offline BigR

• Silver Member
« Reply #28 on: August 29, 2022, 02:41:42 PM »
Agreed.

.....and BigR, I still have a number of your films on my computer which I watch often  <S>

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
    • Twitch: Twitch Feed
« Reply #29 on: August 29, 2022, 03:10:33 PM »
How did you deduce that? Because the aircraft can carry bombs? Most aircraft in WWII were either designed or refitted for multi-role use. What do you mean take zero chances? If he is doing jabo sorties he is taking more chances than flying a P51 at 32k.

Perhaps he is just enjoying the game the way he wants to enjoy it with limited time to play. Don't get too tired jumping to conclusions.
i7-12700k | Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 | EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | H150i Capellix

FlyKommando.com