Author Topic: For the people who work on their vehicles, impact wrenches…  (Read 2946 times)

Offline fuzeman

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
For the people who work on their vehicles, impact wrenches…
« on: September 09, 2022, 06:03:03 PM »
Working on my van and my gift of a impact wrench makes the most impact when I drop it on the ground after not budging a nut. Wont even take a lug nut off at 90 ft/lbs.  :bhead
What kind do you have / had that didn't cost an arm and a leg and had working impact / torque and were satisfied with?  And my sockets are 1/2” drive.
Last one was pnewmaa, air powered but a new battery one would be more user friendly, I suppose.
Thanks for your opinions, if relevant  :aok

Edited- I’m a marOOn,  Impact wrench   :rofl
« Last Edit: September 09, 2022, 07:07:00 PM by fuzeman »
Far too many, if not most, people on this Board post just to say something opposed to posting when they have something to say.

"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG54

Offline -gg-

• Silver Member
      • IceCreamOnMars
Re: For the people who work on their vehicles, torque wrenches…
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2022, 06:22:13 PM »
torque wrenches are used for tightening, I thought.

'
Icecreamonmars.com. ICOM for short.

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2022, 06:38:49 PM »
Torque wrenches should never be used to remove nuts.  They are only for tightening.  I think you should try an impact driver?

Offline TryHard

• Nickel Member
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2022, 06:40:45 PM »
Tighten the bolt until it snaps in half then go back half a turn.

Offline fuzeman

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
Re: For the people who work on their vehicles, impact wrenches…
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2022, 07:08:05 PM »
Pointing out my oopsies said the marOOn.

Impact wrench.

Take two.
Far too many, if not most, people on this Board post just to say something opposed to posting when they have something to say.

Offline Meatwad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2022, 07:47:57 PM »
Ive used a 3/4" impact before  and that didnt budge nuts. Ended up using a 3/4" breaker bar and cheater pipe to do it
See Rule 19- Do not place sausage on pizza.
I am No-Sausage-On-Pizza-Wad.
Das Funkillah - I kill hangers, therefore I am a funkiller. Coming to a vulchfest near you.
You cant tie a loop around 400000 lbs of locomotive using a 2 foot rope - Drediock on fat women

Offline bj229r

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2022, 08:05:28 PM »
I see more and more mechanics use battery powered impact drivers for such things
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers

http://www.flamewarriors.net/forum/

Offline 100Coogn

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2022, 08:08:07 PM »
torque wrenches are used for tightening, I thought.

'

Correct.

Coogan
From Wiley: If you're hitting them after they drop, that's not defense, that is revenge.
Game Id's:
AHIII: Coogan
RDR2: Coogan_Bear
MSFS-2020: Coogan Bear

Offline nopoop

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2022, 08:55:11 PM »
Flame wrench.
nopoop

It's ALL about the fight..

Offline Elfie

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2022, 09:00:48 PM »
 :rofl
Corkyjr on country jumping:
In the end you should be thankful for those players like us who switch to try and help keep things even because our willingness to do so, helps a more selfish, I want it my way player, get to fly his latewar uber ride.

Offline fuzeman

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2022, 09:10:15 PM »
Ive used a 3/4" impact before  and that didnt budge nuts. Ended up using a 3/4" breaker bar and cheater pipe to do it

Yep and that’s what I’ve been doing. Last battle the Pipe Wrench beat the Leaf Spring Bolts 2-0.
I guess the impact sockets wont go to waste.

Early responses refer to torque wrench and not impact wrench as I mixed em up to begin the thread but caught it early enough to modify most of it.

Offline SIK1

• AH Training Corps
  • Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2022, 09:13:48 PM »
I have a Dewalt 1/2" 20v max that spins off the lug nuts on my truck no problem ( installed @ 125 ftlb with a torque wrench)

Sent from my SM-A015U using Tapatalk

444th Air Mafia since Air Warrior
Proudly flying with VF-17

Offline SIK1

• AH Training Corps
  • Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2022, 01:16:38 AM »
Just to be clear, the Dewalt impact was also able to remove the shackle bolts, eye bolts, and U-bolts on a '91 F350. I had to hammer some of them pretty hard, but the truck is thirty years old.

I bought the Dewalt specifically to do the job. I have a 1/2" drive pneumatic impact, but the little compressor I currently have can hardly keep up with it. The Dewalt with a 5 amp/hour battery was able to remove all the suspension bolts on both driver and passenger sides as well as all sixteen of the lugs nuts on a single charge. The one I have wasn't exactly cheap at somewhere around $240, plus the cost of the battery. I got the version with the hog ring anvil as they are stronger than the detent pin type.

You should always use impact sockets when using an impact tool. The more powerful impact drivers can destroy a standard socket faster than you can say whoops.

:cheers:
444th Air Mafia since Air Warrior
Proudly flying with VF-17

Offline GasTeddy

• Silver Member

Offline Meatwad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2022, 06:51:42 AM »
Just to be clear, the Dewalt impact was also able to remove the shackle bolts, eye bolts, and U-bolts on a '91 F350. I had to hammer some of them pretty hard, but the truck is thirty years old.

I bought the Dewalt specifically to do the job. I have a 1/2" drive pneumatic impact, but the little compressor I currently have can hardly keep up with it. The Dewalt with a 5 amp/hour battery was able to remove all the suspension bolts on both driver and passenger sides as well as all sixteen of the lugs nuts on a single charge. The one I have wasn't exactly cheap at somewhere around $240, plus the cost of the battery. I got the version with the hog ring anvil as they are stronger than the detent pin type.

You should always use impact sockets when using an impact tool. The more powerful impact drivers can destroy a standard socket faster than you can say whoops.

:cheers:

I can vouch for that. Cracked a cheap no name socket on a breaker bar while taking a lug nut off a tire on a utility trailer
See Rule 19- Do not place sausage on pizza.
I am No-Sausage-On-Pizza-Wad.
Das Funkillah - I kill hangers, therefore I am a funkiller. Coming to a vulchfest near you.
You cant tie a loop around 400000 lbs of locomotive using a 2 foot rope - Drediock on fat women