Author Topic: Boomers Deserve Better  (Read 2240 times)

Offline Gogolinius

• Zinc Member
Boomers Deserve Better
« on: September 22, 2022, 12:38:31 PM »
Personal computing, cellular communications, internet... All of these technologies were either invented, pioneered or popularized by the Baby Boomers.  Moroever, it was the Boomers who were the original civil rights activists, the original climate change activists, and the first proponents of drug reforms.

Despite the fact that the modern world, including both good elements and bad, rests on the foundation which they created, every generation since, starting with my own, now demonizes them for being greedy, short-sighted and incapable of fluid thinking

Makes one wonder what today's youth is going to get from their kids and grandkids, considering how things are progressing.

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
Re: Boomers Deserve Better
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2022, 12:59:34 PM »
Despite the fact that the modern world, including both good elements and bad, rests on the foundation which they created, every generation since, starting with my own, now demonizes them for being greedy, short-sighted and incapable of fluid thinking

...well...er...we may be those things, too...

- oldman

Offline Eviscerate

• Copper Member
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2022, 01:36:36 PM »
Personal computing, cellular communications, internet... All of these technologies were either invented, pioneered or popularized by the Baby Boomers.  Moroever, it was the Boomers who were the original civil rights activists, the original climate change activists, and the first proponents of drug reforms.

Makes one wonder what today's youth is going to get from their kids and grandkids, considering how things are progressing.

OK, Boomer.  :D

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2022, 01:58:14 PM »
when I read the title, I thought it was about ballistic missile submarines.

every generation has some good inventions. and they always complain about how much better than the previous generation they are and how the next generation is useless.

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline Busher

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2022, 05:33:41 PM »

A lot of smart lip :rolleyes:
Being male, an accident of birth. Being a man, a matter of age. Being a gentleman, a matter of choice.

Offline bj229r

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2022, 12:27:29 PM »
I expect the lion's share of Covid deaths are among boomers as well
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers

http://www.flamewarriors.net/forum/

Offline Gogolinius

• Zinc Member
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2022, 12:33:27 PM »
I expect the lion's share of Covid deaths are among boomers as well

70% of fatalities were among those 70 years or older, so that's a pretty safe assumption.

Offline Rich46yo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2022, 12:46:04 PM »
My generation was a sorry shadow of the WW2 generation which were our fathers and mothers.

As a kid I remember the fathers on the block going out in the middle of a freezing night to help the firemen put away their hoses after fighting a fire. My generation never did that, or things like it. Of course there were exceptions but all in all we just weren't the American's our parents were.

We never experienced the harshness of a severe economic depression or a world war and while there were a lot of technological advancements it was due more to the exponential nature of the growth of innovation, like a snow ball rolling down hill, then it was due to any generational genius. AND most of it was based on the consumer market. Thanks to our parents and the sacrifices they made we had more money to buy more things which meant more and better things were made.

So as the sun is setting on my generation I make no claims of greatness by us.
"flying the aircraft of the Red Star"

Offline GasTeddy

• Silver Member
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2022, 04:23:45 PM »
My generation was a sorry shadow of the WW2 generation which were our fathers and mothers.

As a kid I remember the fathers on the block going out in the middle of a freezing night to help the firemen put away their hoses after fighting a fire. My generation never did that, or things like it. Of course there were exceptions but all in all we just weren't the American's our parents were.

We never experienced the harshness of a severe economic depression or a world war and while there were a lot of technological advancements it was due more to the exponential nature of the growth of innovation, like a snow ball rolling down hill, then it was due to any generational genius. AND most of it was based on the consumer market. Thanks to our parents and the sacrifices they made we had more money to buy more things which meant more and better things were made.

Hard times create strong people. Strong people create good times. good times create weak people. Weak people create hard times.

Offline DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2022, 05:28:55 PM »

Baby boomers were the ones drafted to Nam like my uncle and Dad who went to the coast guard but they still tried to draft him in boot camp. Their father served in WW2. I'd say they were still extremely tough and intellegent people since they were a generation whose parents understood machinery and automobiles. Building things with their hands. Those kids were extremely brave after hearing their fathers stories. Many extremely proud strong Americans lost their lives in that war.  I think it was their kids in the 70s and 80s, spoiled on wealth from computer technology, infrastructure, and cheap standards of living in the 80s allowing an explosion of prosperity that made life easier. The drugs also got worse too. The kids who watched their dad's and grandfathers fight wars and live hard lives were tired of it. They became more socially enfluenced. It was their kids who turned out to be real idiots, I've been friends with many of them. I think young men like myself who had Boomer generation parents rather than 70-80s generation parents are far more successful and generally have a more patriotic view of America. Just my opinion. I also tend to think that it's the reason why boomers are attacked. They are more conservative and patriotic like my dad and uncle. I could think of no one the Nazis would hate more than the sons of the men who ruined their global takeover in 1945. You see now they are trying again a different way and they attack us the same way. Isn't it strange how we are only allowed to be patriotic in times of war or during the Olympics? Just saying.
The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-
2014 & 2018 KoTH ToC Champion

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2022, 05:29:12 PM »
We are now on the left on that chart

Eagler

"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline sparky127

• Nickel Member
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2022, 05:32:41 PM »
Not a fan of the boomers.

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2022, 06:09:23 PM »

Boomer self-pity thread.  The irony...it's too much. :rofl

OK.  Technically I'm a Boomer too.  I was born in the last half of the last year.
But I identify as Gen-X not Boomer.  Respect my choice!

Every generation has their strengths, weaknesses and quirks.  Every generation is thought of a degenerate and not as virtuous as their own, or Heaven forbid their father's generation.

I can find you quotes of Athenians saying the same about their youths 2,500 yrs ago. 

When push comes to shove, American youths do what needs to be done.  Did you not watch all those young kids humping it in the deserts for over a decade of War on Terror?

Hitler thought the same thing about America's Greatest Generation.  They had not fought in WWI like him! They were slackers!  Soft.  Addicted to fancy cars, hamburgers, and Hollywood.  They didn't have the iron in their souls to become soldiers. 

Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2022, 06:46:20 PM »
Also on the left of that chart at the start of ww2

Eagler
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline Gogolinius

• Zinc Member
« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2022, 06:59:03 PM »
Boomer self-pity thread.  The irony...it's too much. :rofl

OK.  Technically I'm a Boomer too.  I was born in the last half of the last year.
But I identify as Gen-X not Boomer.  Respect my choice!

Every generation has their strengths, weaknesses and quirks.  Every generation is thought of a degenerate and not as virtuous as their own, or Heaven forbid their father's generation.

I can find you quotes of Athenians saying the same about their youths 2,500 yrs ago. 

When push comes to shove, American youths do what needs to be done.  Did you not watch all those young kids humping it in the deserts for over a decade of War on Terror?

Hitler thought the same thing about America's Greatest Generation.  They had not fought in WWI like him! They were slackers!  Soft.  Addicted to fancy cars, hamburgers, and Hollywood.  They didn't have the iron in their souls to become soldiers. 

(Image removed from quote.)

I was born in 1977, so no, it's not a self-pity thread.