Author Topic: W.I.P. P-38J 475th FG, 431st FS T-Rigor Mortis III  (Read 1378 times)

Offline Devil 505

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
Re: W.I.P. P-38J 475th FG, 431st FS T-Rigor Mortis III
« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2022, 12:10:17 PM »
I also suspect there is something funky going on with the game engine regarding the interplay between the Specular, Power, and Environment maps and the sun angle.  It seems like the Spec and Power files only have an effect under direct sunlight, i.e. no ambient light activates the metal's shine the way it does in the real world.  But I'm only guessing about that from the behavior I observe.

I wouldn't doubt it for a second. I know for a fact that these files are affected by direct sunlight and react to it in strange ways as the Environment Map   shows shows full power reflections to all areas in shadow. That's why I make the E-map black except for glass and polished metal surfaces.
Kommando Nowotny

FlyKommando.com

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2022, 12:23:27 PM »
While the engine cover are a single piece, they are not a single sheet. There has to be some underlying structure to support that aluminum and it cant be framework on the narcele that would cover the engine and defeat the purpose of an access cover.

I know the picture is a B29 but you can clearly see a demarcation down the center from top to bottom of the access panel where the skin must be attached to some support structure. Maybe add a few of those illusions to those panels might remove that plastic look.

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2022, 10:41:49 AM »
I just tried an experiment where I painted the Left Cowl panel sections pure black (x'000000') in both Spec and Power maps, and took comparison screenshots to my original Spec and Power maps, at the same angle, distance, and time of day - there is virtually no difference in the glare from the cowl panels.   I *should* be able to control the definition and intensity of the glare with the power and spec maps, but it appears for some reason I can't.   I suspect its the same cause the affects our experience when using the color white on a skin - using too light a base color just seems to overwhelm the spec and power values.

I don't have an answer for why I feel like I have some control on the inner boom sides, though...

Also interesting in Fugi's pic of the B-29 cowls - even though its not polish bare metal, I can see some reflections of the surrounding area in the metal surface...
« Last Edit: November 30, 2022, 10:44:39 AM by oboe »

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2022, 11:00:14 AM »
That B-29 is "FIFI" and she's almost entirely silver paint.
”KILLER V”
Charter Member of the P-51 Mustang Skin Mafia
King of the Hill Champ, Tour 219
325th VFG - "The Checkertails"
King of the Hill Win Percentage - 100 (1 Win, 0 Losses)

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2022, 11:25:07 AM »
That B-29 is "FIFI" and she's almost entirely silver paint.

Hmm, even more interesting then.  Reflections in silver paint?   Guess its because its a gloss finish?

Back to Fugi's original point, I resurrected the old technique of baked-in screw head skin deformations, and tried a test patch on Trigor Mortis III's left cowling:

Click for full-size image

What do you think?

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #20 on: November 30, 2022, 11:26:29 AM »
It's a gloss metallic silver.   
”KILLER V”
Charter Member of the P-51 Mustang Skin Mafia
King of the Hill Champ, Tour 219
325th VFG - "The Checkertails"
King of the Hill Win Percentage - 100 (1 Win, 0 Losses)

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #21 on: November 30, 2022, 02:27:54 PM »
Its just so odd. The first two panels on the engine narcel look plastic, but then the next piece back, the smaller square just aft of the wing root looks like metal. The curve of the vent intake just aft of the insignia is getting hit with the same light, has about the same curve and yet that first panel looks like metal.

I think the deformations help. Maybe adding just a ripple or two along the panel would break up that "super slick" look your getting now.