Author Topic: Saving KOTH  (Read 2175 times)

Offline Babablacksheep

• Zinc Member
Re: Saving KOTH
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2023, 04:01:12 PM »
Just got back from ToC, it was an awesome time (if a bit short). KOTH is legitimately the only reason I still play this game so I really hope we can figure something out. I work weekends but I'd be willing to learn and host when numbers are low, since I really don't mind a series of duels, and the tighter furballs are still much more fun than anything the MA offers.
Let's keep KoTH alive!

Offline fuzeman

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2023, 07:35:49 PM »
Monthly Matchplay?

I wouldn't want to call it KOTH as the whole wabbit hunting aspect is gone. It would need to be tested a LOT to make sure it works.
I think HiTech would appreciate using that, Matchplay, seeing he did put effort into it.
Far too many, if not most, people on this Board post just to say something opposed to posting when they have something to say.

"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG54

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2023, 08:22:28 AM »
What about advertising KOTH like a scenario with a sign up page and with walk ons..

Eagler
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline fuzeman

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2023, 08:54:41 AM »
The main arena pop-up that week should get the attention of most players which log in there and are interested in dog-fighting.
Many of those pass it by due to
1) Always fighting the Red Baron  perception
2) all those rules.
and I can come up with a name or two who don’t like the way I host it.

Of course that’s just my POV.
Far too many, if not most, people on this Board post just to say something opposed to posting when they have something to say.

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2023, 01:08:26 PM »
I was just thinking if there was like a sign up/ commitment thread that more might show up..

For another idea - and I know some are against this outright  - I think prizes would draw in better numbers

A free month AH would be my 1st choice but I have other ideas for incentives to try out a KOTH

I have a few items I would donate towards a winning prize if that is what it takes...from computer parts to military collectibles to die cast ww2 planes ..

With the drawback being it wouldn't happen unless a certain number of people have committed and show up

Eagler

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline Bopgun

• Nickel Member
« Reply #20 on: February 27, 2023, 02:37:29 PM »
I was just thinking if there was like a sign up/ commitment thread that more might show up..

For another idea - and I know some are against this outright  - I think prizes would draw in better numbers

A free month AH would be my 1st choice but I have other ideas for incentives to try out a KOTH

I have a few items I would donate towards a winning prize if that is what it takes...from computer parts to military collectibles to die cast ww2 planes ..

With the drawback being it wouldn't happen unless a certain number of people have committed and show up

Eagler

That sounds like an interesting idea, maybe starting a KOTH prize pool?
Ingame: StepSis

Needs help with homework!

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #21 on: February 27, 2023, 02:46:49 PM »
Whatever it takes man!

I am sure others have good stuff to tempt ppl into trying KOTH

Something like one of these each KOTH?

Or a spare computer part ...I should have a 1070 soon I would donate to such a cause

Eagler

Offline fuzeman

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #22 on: February 28, 2023, 07:56:44 AM »
Sad to me that great dog-fights and getting better at them aren't enough of a draw.

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #23 on: February 28, 2023, 08:12:12 AM »
Sad to me that great dog-fights and getting better at them aren't enough of a draw.

Me too but times and players have changed

How many would you say you need for a large enough crowd for us to ask you to host fuzeman?

Eagler

Offline fuzeman

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #24 on: February 28, 2023, 09:04:52 AM »
I know the minimum set last year was 8, right.

Let me rephrase your question if I may.
How many kills do you think the round winner should have to get each round?
Certainly it seems to me that should be more than one kill but how many more?
I also know it’s tough to pick # as that number as a recent KOTH event ended when the winner landed with 0 Ks

And, being a bit selfish, it sure would be nice if we can find a way for me to fly opposed to sitting in the tower being the only  :police:  keeping an eye on things.

Also I get the feeling people were seeing rule violations and not saying anything.  That’s as bad as the host letting guys wing together IMO. Probably need a rule discussion also as we do have a few but I will say with my KOTH experience they are there for reasons which came up in KOTH that had to be dealt with and are valid.

Time to reheat the coffee, that turned into a longer reply than I thought it would. And I do proofread my posts for typos and try to make my responses slightly clearer than mud. That can take some time for me. :rofl
 Especially on the tiny iPhonie Balonie screen / keyboard.

Didn’t address prizes-  shipping , compatibility, off the top of the coconut…

need coffee :bolt:
« Last Edit: February 28, 2023, 09:07:51 AM by fuzeman »

Online DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #25 on: February 28, 2023, 09:21:50 AM »
I like airspawns, the only thing that concerns me is the randomization of the spawns.

Also, I think the area of fight should be much smaller. Too me, it's more oriented on 1v1s most of the time, which is great, but also bad for potentially new players wanting to join. If the area of fight was smaller, it would make it more of a dogfight rather than a 1v1 match every round. I think people get too spread out and then are able to jump in a fight easily and pick or not have to be in a fight while others are, due to them flying so far out away from the center. Just some observations, not criticisms.

The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-
2014 & 2018 KoTH ToC Champion

Offline fuzeman

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #26 on: February 28, 2023, 09:36:36 AM »
As it is now, climbout is the only ‘free to talk’ portion of the event since elimination of Tower room channel. And it gives players time to set views in planes they haven’t flown or have changed.

And the random-ness of those spawns in Match-play is a HUGE corner KOTH looses regarding wabbit hunting.

Keep em coming… when I see a post here I throw my spaghetti against the wall and see if anything sticks with a reply.

A salesman I’m not and KNOW it. That hasn’t helped KOTH visibility. Graps a gulp of Super Coffee and hits post!

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #27 on: February 28, 2023, 10:38:23 AM »
Smaller map would have changed things Sunday...it would have been a quicker event for one

We should have been in the next smaller if not smallest arena with those numbers

The flying time for some was an advantage..myself included in a round or two

I don't think a KOTH winner should win x number of kills but should have the majority of them in that event

Eagler

Offline Simon

• Copper Member
« Reply #28 on: February 28, 2023, 10:40:50 AM »
I enjoy KOTH but it starts too late and carries on too long for me to be able to participate. Anything more than an hour or two is too great of a time commitment (and too hard on the lumbar) for me personally.

On the rare occasion I've been able to get a round or two in, it's almost never an actual dogfighting plane. It usually ends up being Stukas, BF110s, or something else I never fly...  :bolt:

I get the attraction to flying 'different' planes, but that doesn't work for me and is a little disappointing when it's so rare that I can actually get in on the fun.

If it were a 6pm weekly event with a 3-round maximum, I'd be there pretty much every time.

Just my opinion, and much respect and gratitude to those who organize, participate and support the event.  :salute

Offline fuzeman

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #29 on: March 04, 2023, 09:40:50 AM »
Drinking a cup of coffee with Super Creamer while watching F1 qualifying and I had this piece of spaghetti noodle it’s way into my coconut.

But first a response, yes KOTH does use those rides and maybe that’s streaky or player related. I’d bet we flew more D3A-1s when WMLute was around and lately if HORRIDO1 wins a round there’s a good chance a Bf 110G-2 is the next ride.

And back to my spaghetti, which is slightly related to the response, the round winner’s plane choice. I know it’s a nice round win perk but it also puts the Red Baron in his most deadly ride.
What if that changed?  As a substitute, as it’s nice to have an alternative when you want to change something, I could have a list of most used planes in KOTH, broken into segments of six, and I could roll a die, a single dice, to pick the next round ride. If that’s too limited add another die and use the top twelve on the list.

Getting tough to type as Smokie, one of our numerous cats, wants some attention. As does Q2!