Author Topic: Goin Out On a Limb - Proxy Kills  (Read 1333 times)

Offline DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
Re: Goin Out On a Limb - Proxy Kills
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2023, 11:17:24 AM »
Thanks for the clarity. I sorta knew there had to be some reason,...It sounds like an Anti-Dweebery setting, most oddities are. ... but unless one knows the story it makes no sense at all. I knew someone would chime in and explain it.

Yeah... bomb and bail became a big issue.

I too also like getting proxy on vulchers.
The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-
2014 & 2018 KoTH ToC Champion

Offline nopoop

• Gold Member
« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2023, 01:33:42 PM »
I take any kill I can get...
nopoop

It's ALL about the fight..

Offline save

• Gold Member
« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2023, 07:46:44 PM »
My first ever kill in WB in -96 was a Proxy kill, trying to start the plane engine  (guessing I for ignition )  first time on the runway :D
My ammo last for 6 Lancasters, or one Yak3.
"And the Yak 3 ,aka the "flying Yamato"..."
-Caldera

Offline fuzeman

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2023, 07:55:56 AM »
I’d think the situation where two guys are fighting and one crashes actually happened in WW II and the way it’s treated here resembles that but I don't know. StepSis mentioned that they are.
Also mentioned was the 0 / 1 aspect of it relating to a programming thing. There are many things that had to be ‘minimalized’ or ‘game-adapted’ ( whatever you  want to call it ) from WW II to work in a game and sort of eliminate the grey zone between 0 and 1 and pick one of them.
Successful landings are a good example. Why should you get a ditch if you land without damage but don’t exit ‘ON’ the runway. In real life that’s a good landing and one that’s absolutely fine but in a game the designer has to set a 0 1 line between a good landing and one that isn’t.
Far too many, if not most, people on this Board post just to say something opposed to posting when they have something to say.

"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG54

Offline Animl-AW

• Silver Member
      • Animl - YouTube
« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2023, 09:28:39 AM »
Good way to word it. I kinda figured as much. But the gray area includes players who had nothing at all to do with it getting points. Example, a vehicle can just sit there, do nothing, and just rack up cheap kills. And there lays the problem with 0/1 programming vs real life. An algorithm could decide 0 or 1, OTOH  bloat becomes an issue and bug prone.

The damage model in AW was based on a “hit bubble” that surrounded the object, there was no surface strikes. The only algorithm I had to deal with that was one that worked as a hard coded randomizer. It just randomly chose the damage based on strike count. The default was just too generic. I probably played with those settings for 2 months before I finally hit the honey spot of more realistic. It was just an illusion to mask old worn out technology.

It could be tweaked. Is it worth the time? Maybe not, its just an irritant to me. I tend to ignore most oddities and bugs, just happy to fly, fight, and die. There will never be a game 100% free of that, and bugs will always be exploited. I don’t think I can call it a bug,, I just think it could be tweaked.

In our suspended animation, HT (our God/Rock Star) is living life, (we all got a taste of true priorities during covid), raising kids, its just not a priority for him. I find no fault in that. He gave us something we would not have otherwise. I have doubts another will be built with this playing style.

That said, on the flip side, celebrities usually are not fond of Meet-N-Greets, they do them to show appreciation to the fans/customers who paid their way all those years, and now. Its just good biz, not a requirement.

The core of this game is very solid. We’re not asking for huge changes, massive updates,… just a few tweaks to what we have. 

Make any wish with no expectations.

Offline Shane

• Platinum Member
« Reply #20 on: March 07, 2023, 10:32:38 AM »
AFAIK "unearned" proxies do not earn perks, damage points, or get included in the stats.  They're just empty text buffer messages.

However, if you got damage on the other and they auger in for whatever reason, perks and points will be counted, assuming you're still in flight.

I might be wrong - if so, someone will correct me,
 I'm sure.

Example, a vehicle can just sit there, do nothing, and just rack up cheap kills.
Surrounded by suck and underwhelmed with mediocrity.
I'm always right, it just takes some poepl longer to come to that realization than others.
I'm not perfect, but I am closer to it than you are.
"...vox populi, vox dei..."  ~Alcuin ca. 798

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #21 on: March 07, 2023, 11:14:52 AM »
I have shot people down and then seen them flying again..... it ain't right I tell ya...   :D
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 07, 2023, 11:35:03 AM »
AFAIK "unearned" proxies do not earn perks, damage points, or get included in the stats.  They're just empty text buffer messages.

However, if you got damage on the other and they auger in for whatever reason, perks and points will be counted, assuming you're still in flight.

I might be wrong - if so, someone will correct me,
 I'm sure.

For correct information, see my earlier post. The only difference between 'unearned' and 'earned' proxy is the amount of kill points you get for scoring. Kill Points = 1 (for the kill credit itself) + amount of damage inflicted.
Steam: DrKalv
Elite:Dangerous: Snailman

Offline Shane

• Platinum Member
« Reply #23 on: March 07, 2023, 12:04:03 PM »
Thanks, missed it first go around. 

For correct information, see my earlier post. The only difference between 'unearned' and 'earned' proxy is the amount of kill points you get for scoring. Kill Points = 1 (for the kill credit itself) + amount of damage inflicted.
Surrounded by suck and underwhelmed with mediocrity.
I'm always right, it just takes some poepl longer to come to that realization than others.
I'm not perfect, but I am closer to it than you are.
"...vox populi, vox dei..."  ~Alcuin ca. 798

Offline DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #24 on: March 07, 2023, 04:05:30 PM »

Kill points are one metric I've never fully understood.
The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-
2014 & 2018 KoTH ToC Champion