Author Topic: My take after my return.  (Read 4199 times)

Offline Animl-AW

• Silver Member
      • Animl - YouTube
My take after my return.
« on: March 09, 2023, 02:08:58 PM »
When I was forced to leave in 09 when lightning smoked my gaming PC and everything else that was on, it was still AHII. Then work quadrupled and prolonged the return by many years. Sometimes working 50-60 days in a row with long hours, 2 days off, rinse and repeat. I was only "home" to eat, shower and sleep. There was ZERO time to get all setup again, my PCs would not handle it very well anyway.

Having lost my wife and son in 2010. the hell I lived through the last 14 years on top of that, I needed to find a happy place.

Now 2 years from retirement I started declining jobs to live a "normal" life again, not sure i know what that is, but I'm learning.

The itch never left. Finally, like others in a growing pattern I'm seeing today, I sprung and got another gaming PC.

This PC was not up and running 10 minutes before I DLed AHIII again. I was hoping that it was at least the same, despite the over the top rivalry and personal bashing by morons of the past who suffered from the Dunning-Kruger Effect. Took a good while to get some mysterious coating off on certain plastics in storage that was on my stick. Never found out what it was, other then a real mess. I was on a mission.

After 4-5 weeks into the game again,.. it was much better then I imagined.
The graphics in all areas are really nice and easy on the PC. They found that honey spot of great graphics vs amount of players at one time.
The comradery is high.
Despite some venting or sore loser taunting, which is normal, IMO, it's still less then years ago.
Despite some rantings about bugs,... there is really very few bugs from my POV. I wouldn't even know about them had they not been mentioned. What is there like 2? It's a very solid game as a whole. When I'm sniveling about Proxy Kills that means there is little error to find.

Anyone who knows me knows I was always looking for flaws and things to tweak or build, I've got nothing.
Ya, I can do sounds and probably will, but even the default are not bad, they just get old in the ears. The next set will get old too, do it anyway.

For those thinking about coming back, they won't be disappointed. It's a different game in the positive direction.

As for HT's remarks about no further development, but tweaks will happen. I can find fault with that if I look hard enough. Personally, I think he did meet his self-imposed mission/goal. I see very little that requires a major update. They gave plenty of tools to elongate the game and make it even better. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. I'd like to see more presence, but hell back in the day of AW, I saw one single post from the suits, and it was bad news. HT and his team was much more apart of the community then coders/suits in any other game I've been in, so any absence is just noticed more. He's living life, good for him. For some of us, he gave us life, a happy place.

I see those numbers creeping up as people get new gear. The most common post I see is someone getting a new PC to get back in the game. I don't see any good-bye posts. I'm thinking the game just hit a valley of peaks and valleys.

Again, if you have the itch, scratch it. I'm happy to be back. It is well worth the journey. I'm just sad about missing 14 yrs. I was impressed my first day back, and that hasn't faded.

The best advise I could give is "just do it". It's still addicting, it's still a blast, maybe more so.
Windows 11 Gaming Tweaks
https://imgur.com/oEtVMfP

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
Re: My take after my return.
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2023, 03:12:42 PM »
Good post.

- oldman

Offline Prayer

• Copper Member
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2023, 03:49:02 PM »
As someone who stopped around 2010 and is returning soon I can appreciate this post in many ways.

Have you gave VR a shot since you have been back? I ordered a Oculus Quest 2 while I wait on pedals and stick to come.

Hopefully we will get a chance to fly together Animl.

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2023, 04:01:14 PM »
Good post.

- oldman

Quit your whining....   :rofl :rofl :rofl
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline Dadtallica

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2023, 06:30:03 PM »
Quit your whining....   :rofl :rofl :rofl

Sorry for your loss!
Back in 2022 after a loooooong break from 2010. Old name Ratpack, same for the BBS.

Squad I did the most tours with were the Excaliburs then The 172nd Rabid Dogs. Still trying to talk Illigaf, Coola, Oldman22, and Joecrow into coming back instead of being boring old farts!

Offline Cremator

• Copper Member
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2023, 09:55:47 PM »
I’m with you. Tonight was my first night back on since 2010. New PC that I’m dedicating to just this game and photos. It was awesome to get back in the saddle. I didn’t do much, tweaked my controllers, mapped keys, set up some things and played around in a Brewster.  Looking forward to seeing everyone again. I’m excited to be itching a scratch from long ago. I’ll be easy pickings for the foreseeable future.
Back after 15 years. <S> Everyone. Cremator08@gmail.com. (Cremator in real life)

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2023, 02:40:37 PM »
Good post.

- oldman

OM forgot to tell you.... I got a new walker with halos , digital horn, and a bell. Everyone at the store moves out of the way when I come shuffling through now.
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2023, 05:07:58 PM »
OM forgot to tell you.... I got a new walker with halos , digital horn, and a bell. Everyone at the store moves out of the way when I come shuffling through now.

You need a Three Wolf Moon t-shirt to complete the getup.

- oldman

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2023, 10:44:09 PM »

You need a Three Wolf Moon t-shirt to complete the getup.

- oldman

:rofl  :rofl  :rofl

:old:
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline Animl-AW

• Silver Member
      • Animl - YouTube
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2023, 11:03:15 PM »
As someone who stopped around 2010 and is returning soon I can appreciate this post in many ways.

Have you gave VR a shot since you have been back? I ordered a Oculus Quest 2 while I wait on pedals and stick to come.

Hopefully we will get a chance to fly together Animl.

No VR, YET. I'll have to figure out how to check 6 if I do, I'll be having neck pains lol
I haven't even dug out comm headset yet.

Sure bud, I'll fly with ya. I usually fly at night.
Windows 11 Gaming Tweaks
https://imgur.com/oEtVMfP

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2023, 07:09:54 AM »
Checking 6 in AH with VR is simple as it has the jstick views incorporated into vr unlike any other flight sim

It is old people neck friendly :)

Eagler
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Online The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2023, 08:19:59 AM »
No VR, YET. I'll have to figure out how to check 6 if I do, I'll be having neck pains lol
I haven't even dug out comm headset yet.

Sure bud, I'll fly with ya. I usually fly at night.

Views in VR are are sweet. Instead of using all 8 switches on a hatswitch for views all you need is the "rear" view, and maybe the "up" view.  Hold down the rear view button and you can move your head/view through that whole hemisphere the same as when your looking forward. The same goes for looking up.

Offline Mongoose

• Silver Member
      • Kentwood Station
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2023, 09:51:49 AM »
Views in VR are are sweet. Instead of using all 8 switches on a hatswitch for views all you need is the "rear" view, and maybe the "up" view.  Hold down the rear view button and you can move your head/view through that whole hemisphere the same as when your looking forward. The same goes for looking up.

This is good news.  I have a stiff neck and looking behind me is a problem.  Now all I have to do is get the money to afford a VR system.

Oh, well.  My single computer screen will do just fine in the mean time.
My Aces High fan site:
www.kentwoodstation.com

Offline detch01

• Silver Member
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2023, 10:07:29 AM »
Animl. Glad to see you back sir.  :aok
My condolences for your loss.
I left the game in 2009, moved out of the city in 2012 and burned my city-boy card. I never thought I'd have the connection to play the game again. I took a crack at it in the middle teens for a bit but my connection made the game unplayable. Your right, the itch ever goes away. New ISP with a 5G connection and a new PC in January so I thought what the hell, give it a try about a month ago and it worked. The rust has been coming off one flake at a time. Dale, Doug and crew did something amazing when they built this game.
asw
Latrine Attendant, 1st class
semper in excretio, solum profundum variat

Offline Shane

• Platinum Member
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2023, 10:47:23 PM »
Ask Eagler to give you the hype about AH implementation of VR + hatswitches... no need to crank your neck around.

This is good news.  I have a stiff neck and looking behind me is a problem.  Now all I have to do is get the money to afford a VR system.

Oh, well.  My single computer screen will do just fine in the mean time.
Surrounded by suck and underwhelmed with mediocrity.
I'm always right, it just takes some poepl longer to come to that realization than others.
I'm not perfect, but I am closer to it than you are.
"...vox populi, vox dei..."  ~Alcuin ca. 798