Author Topic: Bombing  (Read 604 times)

Offline Cremator

• Copper Member
Bombing
« on: March 10, 2023, 08:09:20 AM »
Can someone point me in the direction on this forum of the key commands and basic bombing strategies. I can’t remember all of the commands and such. Like salvo settings and calibration of bomb site. I looked in the archives but I’m not finding much. Thanks in advance. Cremator
Back after 15 years. <S> Everyone. Cremator08@gmail.com. (Cremator in real life)

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
Re: Bombing
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2023, 08:56:31 AM »
F6 for bombsight works only from pilot seat), then follow instructions on screen for calibration (and don't forget to exit calibration mode when you are done). The wind layers above 14k mean you have to recalibrate when approaching from a different direction, even at same speed. Dot commands for salvo setting:  .salvo xx  and .delay. For Dot commands for object downtimes see the pinned post in Help & Training forum.
Steam: DrKalv
Elite:Dangerous: Snailman

Offline Cremator

• Copper Member
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2023, 10:41:54 AM »
Thank you so much Snail. <S>
Back after 15 years. <S> Everyone. Cremator08@gmail.com. (Cremator in real life)

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2023, 12:01:58 PM »

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2023, 01:27:16 PM »
F6 for bombsight works only from pilot seat), then follow instructions on screen for calibration (and don't forget to exit calibration mode when you are done). The wind layers above 14k mean you have to recalibrate when approaching from a different direction, even at same speed. Dot commands for salvo setting:  .salvo xx  and .delay. For Dot commands for object downtimes see the pinned post in Help & Training forum.

So that's it!   TIL something new.  Thanks you Snail!

Offline molybdenum

• Nickel Member
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2023, 08:11:17 PM »
Can someone point me in the direction on this forum of the key commands and basic bombing strategies. I can’t remember all of the commands and such. Like salvo settings and calibration of bomb site. I looked in the archives but I’m not finding much. Thanks in advance. Cremator

As for basic bombing strategies...know what you want to do ahead of time and up the right plane with the right fuel and bomb loads to do it, for one thing. You'll never white-flag a town in B26s by yourself, for example, no matter how hard you try. Nor can I imagine a situation in which you would want 100% fuel in Lancasters.
Look at the target; predict the likely level of enemy interference; decide how much time you are willing to devote to the task and how willing you are to die trying; and up accordingly.

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2023, 08:31:01 AM »
Can a flight of B-17s white flag a town?   

I've never been able to do it, but I'm still wondering if with the right loadout, delay, and correct orientation of bomb run through the town (I'm sure there must be more correct terminology for that last phrase) if its possible...

Offline mERv

• Silver Member
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2023, 11:24:44 AM »
Can a flight of B-17s white flag a town?   

I've never been able to do it, but I'm still wondering if with the right loadout, delay, and correct orientation of bomb run through the town (I'm sure there must be more correct terminology for that last phrase) if its possible...
yes...

It takes two passes and your going to have to come at it differently. A normal SW/NE town orientation means you must come at it NW to SE x2 and make sure you spread out your drops as there is no room for error.

You can always learn how to clean up the town with your guns and deck as well.

I would rather use B24's with the 2000lbbombs. With a normal SW/NE orientation you can WF in onepass if you sequence your drops just right.

You can do it with the 1k bombs but it takes 2 passes. Fortunately it only requires 7 bombs if you do it right which saves a bomb for a GV or the dar.

Too much can go wrong with the b17s it's best to use the 24's or lancs but it is possible.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2023, 11:26:18 AM by mERv »
"Its no problem to be the best, but to be so much better than the best is going to bring accusations." Haggarty
"Ever wonder why its always b-17s and B-24s. It allows him an extreme advantage over other players hence his bomber kill count, that and his lazer beam guns." Diaster

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2023, 11:42:04 AM »
Or use B-29s and WF two towns, or WF one town and smash some hangars. If you are low enough, you could also drag away some fighters going into greed mode when seeing a 29 that's not flying at 30k for a change  :D
Steam: DrKalv
Elite:Dangerous: Snailman

Offline mERv

• Silver Member
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2023, 01:02:27 PM »
Or use B-29s and WF two towns, or WF one town and smash some hangars. If you are low enough, you could also drag away some fighters going into greed mode when seeing a 29 that's not flying at 30k for a change  :D
  +1

You can critique it here and there but in principle Lusche is correct.

Any 29 above 20k doesn't know what they are doing except bomb n run
"Its no problem to be the best, but to be so much better than the best is going to bring accusations." Haggarty
"Ever wonder why its always b-17s and B-24s. It allows him an extreme advantage over other players hence his bomber kill count, that and his lazer beam guns." Diaster