Author Topic: Suggestion to Dale  (Read 3153 times)

Offline TheBug

• Platinum Member
Re: Suggestion to Dale
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2023, 10:06:55 AM »
$15 is nothing, to tip a good waitress, its{sic} a bit high if they avoid your table.

That's exactly it.
“It's a big ocean, you don't have to find the enemy if you don't want to."
  -Richard O'Kane

Offline DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2023, 10:42:32 AM »
I was waving a dbl edge razor. 

$15 is nothing, to tip a good waitress, its a bit high if they avoid your table.

I can spit $75 for a plane, but my affordability is not the point, I’m not buying better AC graphics or FM. If I want to fly all the planes and other hidden charges, its becoming a money pit.

The only thing thats really better is the terrain graphics and they aren’t using sprites for explosion and strike graphics.

Those two updates would put AH up there with the best. All the other graphics are pretty identical.l, but theirs are very heavy on a slower pc.

I don’t mind exposing other game pitfalls on AH boards. I don’t know how we can attract new players selling other products on our boards. Every game can and has been picked apart.

When AW was dying, it was very disturbing that people from AH were selling on our boards. But in the end it was for the best.

Frankly, if the game isn’t high adrenaline fun its not worth $5 >to me<.

I’m not trying to be offensive. I value your personal opinion.

People who know me, know I play the devils advocate. I try to bring peeps outside their thought bubble. Lets look at all the facts, not just what makes ones personal point.

Two things can be right.

>IMO< if those other games are so great, there would be no looking back.
Its not the same game play, and people are leaving those too. HTC doing nothing just exasperated it. Lot of folks who drifted to those games are coming back. The reality if that is, they become depressed that there us no movement here. They game is great, the no upgrades is not. I refer back to my statement above with those two updates. This game WANTS to pop again. But like my promo, one guy says no.

Your points are not unvalid.

Go back and read what I wrote.
The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-
2014 & 2018 KoTH ToC Champion

Offline Animl-AW

• Gold Member
      • Animl - YouTube
« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2023, 10:58:55 AM »
I get it. Just following the vonvo as a whole. I agree.
Windows 11 Gaming Tweaks
https://imgur.com/oEtVMfP

Offline CAV

• Nickel Member
« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2023, 11:27:39 AM »
Does anyone know of any other subscription based game out there that has zero development?

Bingo

This has bugged me for some time now,  why am I still paying a premium price subscription?

For a game that has zero development, zero new equipment added, zero anything added other than what the player base makes for free.

What is AcesHigh the  company doing for me other than Living in retirement off my subscription.

I pay a subscription for iRacing... But they do updates and they get new content. I see what $15 is doing.

WW2OL, We like to make fun of WW2OL but they got lots of updates and quite a number of New pieces of equipment last year. They're porting their game over to a new engine,  they now have VOX, they do a lot of things for their subscription price.

What am I getting here for my $15?

If you ask me this is a $4.99 a month game now. The subscription should be just enough to keep the servers running cuz that's about all we're getting out of it.

CAV
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG301

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2023, 11:39:06 AM »
This game WANTS to pop again. But like my promo, one guy says no.

Hmmm.  I think you are more in the returning player honeymoon period.  I get it.  I've rode that train myself before.

IMHO, the core question is, why do the players who are not here not see AH as a good value at $15\month?

Why did virtually none of the 40,000 Steam trails decide to subscribe?

Why don't we have 600 players a night like we used to?

If you want to alter the trajectory, those are the questions you have to honestly answer without defaulting to defensive behavior.  The old "if the other games are so great, why are they posting here?" is just a passive aggressive defense behavior.  Attack the messenger so you don't have to face the uncomfortable message.   

I liked you promo vid, but I think the issue is deeper than just exposure or you would have converted 2-5% of those 40,000 Steam downloads.

Companies have two choices.  They can listen to their market and learn from what it is telling them, or stick to their guns and say the market is just wrong.  If you can survive of the remaining hardcore players who have lasted this long, and if the kinds of changes needed to change things aren't really ever really likely anyway, then the second choice may work for you. 

In the second case, it certainly seems reasonable to avoid dumping any more money or effort into the game if the remaining hardcore are locked in anyway due to their decades long social networks.  It won't get you any more new players and the hardcore aren't likely going anywhere at this point.  It appears to me from Lusche's charts that the decline has bottomed out.  I suspect the remaining population is durable and will hang on until they drop.

Just keep the electricity on and chan200 working.

Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.

Offline Animl-AW

• Gold Member
      • Animl - YouTube
« Reply #20 on: April 04, 2023, 11:52:56 AM »

Bingo

This has bugged me for some time now,  why am I still paying a premium price subscription?

For a game that has zero development, zero new equipment added, zero anything added other than what the player base makes for free.

What is AcesHigh the  company doing for me other than Living in retirement off my subscription.

I pay a subscription for iRacing... But they do updates and they get new content. I see what $15 is doing.

WW2OL, We like to make fun of WW2OL but they got lots of updates and quite a number of New pieces of equipment last year. They're porting their game over to a new engine,  they now have VOX, they do a lot of things for their subscription price.

What am I getting here for my $15?

If you ask me this is a $4.99 a month game now. The subscription should be just enough to keep the servers running cuz that's about all we're getting out of it.

CAV

While I totally agree, growing player base and more funds coming it MIGHT actually kick start that again. Its a gamble to promote and try to do that. But,.. I've been here before. Problem is, I'm not sure HT is even still alive anymore, that is THE problem. Nothing else matters without him, unless it's sold to someone who wants to make something of it.. I'm not sure there is anyone left to do what they did. He communicates zero. Keep it up and it won't support retirement either. One can claim "successful" in the past during a peak, it's not successful right now if it's stagnate. I'm sad I chose to say that. right now, the global feeling seems to be people feel taken advantage of. It's still a great game that wants to pop again, it WANTS to pop, but there's no keys to the car.
Windows 11 Gaming Tweaks

Offline MDStampf93

• Nickel Member
« Reply #21 on: April 04, 2023, 12:23:24 PM »
Also if Dale can re-start the affiliate program that would be a fantastic incentive for people to spread the word about the game and attempt to grab more players. I have messaged him and emailed but have not heard anything back. When attempting to sign up for the Aces High affiliate program, the page just crashes.
MDStampf - JG11 'Sonderstaffel'
Sgt Stampfli, USMC

"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG54

Offline Dadtallica

• Silver Member
« Reply #22 on: April 04, 2023, 12:29:35 PM »
Back in 2022 after a loooooong break from 2010. Old name Ratpack, same for the BBS.

Squad I did the most tours with were the Excaliburs then The 172nd Rabid Dogs. Still trying to talk Illigaf, Coola, Oldman22, and Joecrow into coming back instead of being boring old farts!

Offline RichardDarkwood

• Silver Member
« Reply #23 on: April 04, 2023, 12:33:05 PM »
One has to wonder... if it is so great, why are you over here?

Why you worried about where I am??
A yappy back seater like Jester wasn’t popular or fun to fly with, more of an unnecessary distraction than anything else---Puma44

https://www.twitch.tv/hounds_darkwood
CO--The Bad Guys

Offline RichardDarkwood

• Silver Member
« Reply #24 on: April 04, 2023, 12:34:35 PM »
Does anyone know of any other subscription based game out there that has zero development?  I'd like to pop into their forum and see what they're talking about.

Iracing is $15 a month
A yappy back seater like Jester wasn’t popular or fun to fly with, more of an unnecessary distraction than anything else---Puma44

https://www.twitch.tv/hounds_darkwood
CO--The Bad Guys

Offline CAV

• Nickel Member
« Reply #25 on: April 04, 2023, 12:44:33 PM »

$15 a month... plus you got to buy content. Their pricing model isn't for the faint of heart. But you get what you pay for.

CAV
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG301

Offline Animl-AW

• Gold Member
      • Animl - YouTube
« Reply #26 on: April 04, 2023, 01:03:24 PM »
Hmmm.  I think you are more in the returning player honeymoon period.  I get it.  I've rode that train myself before.

IMHO, the core question is, why do the players who are not here not see AH as a good value at $15\month?

Why did virtually none of the 40,000 Steam trails decide to subscribe?

Why don't we have 600 players a night like we used to?

If you want to alter the trajectory, those are the questions you have to honestly answer without defaulting to defensive behavior.  The old "if the other games are so great, why are they posting here?" is just a passive aggressive defense behavior.  Attack the messenger so you don't have to face the uncomfortable message.   

I liked you promo vid, but I think the issue is deeper than just exposure or you would have converted 2-5% of those 40,000 Steam downloads.

Companies have two choices.  They can listen to their market and learn from what it is telling them, or stick to their guns and say the market is just wrong.  If you can survive of the remaining hardcore players who have lasted this long, and if the kinds of changes needed to change things aren't really ever really likely anyway, then the second choice may work for you. 

In the second case, it certainly seems reasonable to avoid dumping any more money or effort into the game if the remaining hardcore are locked in anyway due to their decades long social networks.  It won't get you any more new players and the hardcore aren't likely going anywhere at this point.  It appears to me from Lusche's charts that the decline has bottomed out.  I suspect the remaining population is durable and will hang on until they drop.

Just keep the electricity on and chan200 working.

Nothing personal, you have your thoughts. Convos are good.
I'm not defending as much as I, and others, are pointing out truths. Those games have flaws and are not the type AH type players will stay in. The fun element is missing and everyone knows it. Its a different audience.  I can concrete my point of truths and comparisons, but why waste the bandwidth. It all depends on how one squints their eyes just right. There are some who can't seem to post without mentioning other games. If the crowd was good it wouldn't need promoting in other game boards, besides other well made points. Just my POV.

I may have been in the honeymoon stage the first two weeks, but I've also been very deep and into the core of my two games in the past and now to know it can be done. It's really not that hard, IF we had help from the creator. It's not the game or the players, it's the creator problem. The players want it to pop again,.. and that is the momentum. You see old players coming back almost every day, you're still here :) You're hoping too. While you see me as defending, I see some as doing nothing but ripping it down and selling another game because it's not doing all that well as it should be, expecting no push back of reality, it's selling another game. <shrug> I get it, HT did that to AW, but he did have a better product made of the exact same concept as AW.

All your questions above have legitimate answers and assumptions. A lot of games on Steam are fairly arcade-ish, a different type of player. Ah is a very deep game to learn and play. that's not for everyone, and they don't know until they try it. There are a lot for reasons, there is no single blanket answer.

We agree on somethings and disagree on others, that's ok, two sides in a convo are always good. HT seems to have gone from God to WTF. <shrug> Sorry Dale, great guy, very smart...this is not good biz.
Windows 11 Gaming Tweaks

Offline Max

• Platinum Member
« Reply #27 on: April 04, 2023, 02:06:03 PM »
While it would be nice "hand out" it wouldn't do anything but hurt his bottom line. Every player who has ever played the game KNOWS what the game has to offer. A quick peek at the boards and you'll know nothing has changed in years so it is what it is.

How would it hurt his profit margin? It's not like returning players displace paying subscribers. I see quite a few "thinking of coming back to the game" posts on the forum. I would think Dale/HTC has a data base of previous player contact info. Sending out a blitz mail might only result in a > 5% response but that's something.

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #28 on: April 04, 2023, 03:45:28 PM »
Nothing personal, you have your thoughts. Convos are good.

I'm not taking anything personal, it just seems you are missing the point I'm trying to make.

I'm not trying to sell you on DCS.  I don't give a flip what you fly.  Besides, I'd imagine most here would find IL2 a closer fit anyway.

If those have relevance in this conversation, it is to show DCS makes plenty of sales so people still like flightsims.  And IL2 makes plenty of sales so people are not turned off by WWII.

So the question is, why do you think there aren't 600 players in the arena anymore? Why can't AH attract new players?  New.  Not recycling previous old players over and over.     

Because they didn't have your promo video?  There have been guys posting great AH videos and tutorials for a decade.  You borrowed some of their video so you should know.  How much of an effect has that had?

HT has stated himself is trial conversion rate is running "around" 1% which could be on the under of that.  Why can't the trials not convert more than 1%? 

« Last Edit: April 04, 2023, 04:01:54 PM by CptTrips »
Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.

Offline Max

• Platinum Member
« Reply #29 on: April 04, 2023, 04:09:41 PM »
Just my 2 cents...

I hooked up with AW/Macintosh back in '96 via Gamestorm/AOL. It took a few tries to get airborne and stay alive more than 30 seconds. The game was very intuitive, and there were AWARs available most evenings to school noobs. I was quickly hooked.

Advance to 1999 and AH was in Beta. Some of my AW pals were eagerly watching the development and trying to coax me into the open beta. I made several attempts at trying it out, only to wind up completely frustrated at what to do, when & how. Fast forward a year and the rumors were swirling about AW's future given the acquisition of Kesmai by EA. At a baddy's urging, I gave AH1 a go, as he gave me a few pointers as to what to do. I still found the process of getting airborne frustratingly complex and was ready to bail forever when someone started chatting at me on the text bar. Turns out it was a guy named Ghosth...a trainer, who sat on the runway for hours, helping dweebs like me navigate the very basics.

Moral of the story? I'm guessing many of the 99% who never converted to a paid account had experiences similar to mine.