Author Topic: I’m Still On The Fence?  (Read 1369 times)

Offline Dadtallica

• Silver Member
I’m Still On The Fence?
« on: April 29, 2023, 10:45:00 AM »
I don’t know that I want to make the move to vr. I’ve read a lot of threads here and it feels like some of you continue to have endless issues. I would have to buy a new rig for it too which is fine. I play on a laptop now and was planning to get something to up my eye candy quotient.

Right now I use a 55” 4K TV as my monitor and I sit about 18” inches or so away from. Even on my non gaming laptop things still pretty nice. I really like the fee of playing this way.

Would a head tracker be a better option for me perhaps? Appreciate any feedback.  :salute
Back in 2022 after a loooooong break from 2010. Old name Ratpack, same for the BBS.

Squad I did the most tours with were the Excaliburs then The 172nd Rabid Dogs. Still trying to talk Illigaf, Coola, Oldman22, and Joecrow into coming back instead of being boring old farts!

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
Re: I’m Still On The Fence?
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2023, 10:59:29 AM »
Yes trackir is a good step towards vr..most of us went that path

It adds great immersion at a low cost

It works great in AH as you can still use jstick views

Eagler
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Online nopoop

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2023, 11:22:23 AM »
If I do it, it will be track IR for the same reason..
Back in the day would have been diferent. I have zero problems with the game at the highest settings. I just want to play. I dont fiddle with the computer any longer. I used to build my computers. I bought a medium game machine. I turn it on....and play. Too many tweaks and problems that seem to be "normal" going full VR.
nopoop

It's ALL about the fight..

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2023, 12:07:33 PM »
People with VR problems come here for help, but we don't hear from people who aren't having problems.  It's probably similar to the 'tip of the iceberg' phenomenon - you don't see or notice the majority of it because its hidden.
I'd wager for most people, once their VR problem is resolved, it is no longer an issue.

Having said that, it's still new, it's got more demanding hardware requirements, so it's not surprising when problems arise.    I went the TrackIR route on my way to VR as well - and still prefer it when flying bombers because of the necessary keyboard use when calibrating the bomb site.   

One thing that makes me sad is the idea of someone aging out of the game without ever having tried VR.   It's THAT much of a unique experience.   We are so close now - it's no longer unaffordable, and Hitech's implementation is one of the best out there.   It's difficult to describe - you just have to experience it yourself.  It's in a completely different class from hat switch views or TrackIR, because you are INSIDE the cockpit.  It feels like you are INSIDE the game itself, not just interacting with it on a panel in front of you. 

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2023, 01:44:35 PM »
AH VR is a lifelong dream come true since putting the 1st model airplane my bedroom ceiling when I was about 5 or 6

It is an experience you must have if you are a flight sim nut

I had my vive pro running on an older I7 and 1070 card in AH within an hour of it arriving at the door  :)

Better the hardware the less issues and better vr experience imo

Do try trackir as it does give the same head tracking experience vr does and doesn't require a hardware upgrade

Eagler

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline Dadtallica

• Silver Member
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2023, 01:49:16 PM »
AH VR is a lifelong dream come true since putting the 1st model airplane my bedroom ceiling when I was about 5 or 6

It is an experience you must have if you are a flight sim nut

I had my vive pro running on an older I7 and 1070 card in AH within an hour of it arriving at the door  :)

Better the hardware the less issues and better vr experience imo

Do try trackir as it does give the same head tracking experience vr does and doesn't require a hardware upgrade

Eagler

I have a PSVR and a RiftS my son gave me when he switched to the Q2 but they do not work on my laptop. He’s probably upgrading his Aurora R7 with a custom rig this summer so I can hold out for that and then I will no problem.

Will still probably get the trackir. Any brand you all prefer? I see there a few
Back in 2022 after a loooooong break from 2010. Old name Ratpack, same for the BBS.

Squad I did the most tours with were the Excaliburs then The 172nd Rabid Dogs. Still trying to talk Illigaf, Coola, Oldman22, and Joecrow into coming back instead of being boring old farts!

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2023, 02:36:35 PM »
I use this one https://a.co/d/2uqBJiF

with this clip
Track Clip Pro LED Head Tracker for TrackIr units https://a.co/d/8RioYnr

Eagler

Online The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2023, 04:47:14 PM »
People with VR problems come here for help, but we don't hear from people who aren't having problems.  It's probably similar to the 'tip of the iceberg' phenomenon - you don't see or notice the majority of it because its hidden.
I'd wager for most people, once their VR problem is resolved, it is no longer an issue.

Having said that, it's still new, it's got more demanding hardware requirements, so it's not surprising when problems arise.    I went the TrackIR route on my way to VR as well - and still prefer it when flying bombers because of the necessary keyboard use when calibrating the bomb site.   

One thing that makes me sad is the idea of someone aging out of the game without ever having tried VR.   It's THAT much of a unique experience.   We are so close now - it's no longer unaffordable, and Hitech's implementation is one of the best out there.   It's difficult to describe - you just have to experience it yourself.  It's in a completely different class from hat switch views or TrackIR, because you are INSIDE the cockpit.  It feels like you are INSIDE the game itself, not just interacting with it on a panel in front of you.

I  use "Voice Attack" when in bombers. I have one command to get into the site (remember to look down "into the site"), another command to calibrate (opens the calibrate mode and holds the button down for a count of ten then releases and exits calibration mode), and I use the button on my stick to drop. Works great. No need for a keyboard.

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2023, 04:58:44 PM »
Trackir does use a dodad that sits on top of the monitor and has to have a centered line of sight to the clip on the headset..

Not sure how that lines up with a 55 " monitor sitting that close

Eagler

Offline Dadtallica

• Silver Member
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2023, 05:01:26 PM »
Trackir does use a dodad that sits on top of the monitor and has to have a centered line of sight to the clip on the headset..

Not sure how that lines up with a 55 " monitor sitting that close

Eagler

Lol ok that may be an issue!

Online Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2023, 03:40:36 PM »
Right now I use a 55” 4K TV as my monitor and I sit about 18” inches or so away from. Even on my non gaming laptop things still pretty nice. I really like the fee of playing this way.

Actually VR feels very much like that (massive screen close up), but adds in head tracking and 3D stereoscopic imaging. If you want to understand how the field of view feels, bring your hands together like you're praying, then open them so they are at a right angle (90 degrees) to each other. Rest your chin on them and where your fingers are is about the left and right limits of the "screen".

As for issues, I've been flying AH in VR for about 14 years now, and the only problem I have is occasionally the mic driver switches to the wrong one when it gets updated (it's a 10 second fix).

Offline Dadtallica

• Silver Member
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2023, 08:38:37 PM »
I will just toss a blanket over me and the tv!  :aok

Offline Dichotomy

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2023, 03:01:50 PM »
OP DOOOO EEET!!!  It's taken me months... well almost a year to get all my real world issues taken care of then get all set up to 'fly' again and it's been a struggle I'm not going to lie. 

Just took my first 'serious' flight in VR after screwing around with this and that for a while.  If you're currently playing the learning curve will be substantially shorter than mine was. 

The ability to just turn your head up, crane your neck a little bit, etc, to track someone or something is AWESOME and I noticed today that my aim, which is something I had a real problem with back in the day, is much better. 

Additionally I'd be concerned with you with a trackIR and a monitor that big.  Getting a case of 'simulator sickness' back in the day bounced me out of the game.  I got to where I couldn't play for 15 minutes without getting a headache and nausea.  I suspect playing on a 48" monitor with a trackIR might have been the root cause because I just came off a 2 hour session of playing around in VR and, other than some somewhat dry eye, not a single symptom here. 

Trust me in my opinion it is more than well worth the investment. 
JG11 - Dicho37Only The Proud Only The Strong AH Players who've passed on :salute

Offline Prayer

• Copper Member
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2023, 03:55:04 PM »
Do it. After 2 months I find it hard not to play on VR now. Bought a used 256 gig oculus quest with a head strap and carry case on eBay for 200 bucks that was barely used. The depth perception gained is awesome along with head tracking. It will take time to adjust. I’m still adjusting and my SA is still not what it used to be but that is just time away for me. Played from 03 to 2010 then just came back 2 months ago. I did get sick the first time I used it. I then would play for short spans over a day, haven’t had any sickness since.

Give it a try.

:pray

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2023, 02:49:37 PM »
Adding my voice to the choir.

Do it!  I went from hat views to TrackIR to VR, and once you've had TrackIR or VR, not using it just doesn't feel right.

Just FYI I have a similar setup for a time as you're talking about with TrackIR on a big monitor close.  It works OK, but it's still a bit flaky because of the angle involved.  The best solution I found was to put the tracker at the base of the monitor in front of you.  At the top, the angle is too steep to handle 6DOF well, particularly forward/backward movement.

TrackIR took me from being able to track where a couple cons were to being able to track 3 or 4 and being able to tell what they were doing far more easily.  TrackIR and rudder pedals completely changed the game for me.

VR only made that better for me.  It made gunnery much easier once I got used to it too.  I find I can set up crossing shots more easily as well.  The 3D just makes spatial relations easier for me to see.  YMMV, I know it makes some people nauseated if they use it, but my eyes love it.

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11