Author Topic: Long Time No See..What Planes?  (Read 1002 times)

Offline DVDA

• Copper Member
Long Time No See..What Planes?
« on: July 08, 2023, 01:24:42 PM »
So I haven't played in probably 10 years. (At this point I can't remember) so I doubt anyone remembers me. I stopped because I was tired of the head on collision random penalty and the self inflicted friendly fire damage (also forgot what those two systems were called but they are lame for a realism dogfighting sim).

Anyway I was admiring a painting the other day and it got my wondering what models the planes are.

Figured the best place to ask was my old stomping ground with dedicated WW2 sim pilots. So anyway does anyone know the model of these planes? Obviously people will say BF109 and what not but I am curious of the actual models like BF109 E-4 or whatever. Photo is from August 31, 1940 if that help narrow the models.

PS is the head on collision penalty the same? If not maybe I'll make my grand return. Thanks guys.

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
Re: Long Time No See..What Planes?
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2023, 01:28:49 PM »
I stopped because I was tired of the head on collision random penalty

There is nothing random about it.
Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.

Offline hgtonyvi

• Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2023, 01:34:08 PM »
Planes looks like a hurricane mk1 and 109 E
CO of the Hell Hounds. In Game: Rud3boi
*Ain't no grave can hold my body down.*

Top German Ace of Pantelleria 1943
            6./JG 27- 109G-2

Offline DVDA

• Copper Member
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2023, 01:40:59 PM »
Planes looks like a hurricane mk1 and 109 E

I figured E or F based on date. Maybe E-3?

There is nothing random about it.

You said that last time I posted years ago. Whether true or not the system is dumb. Should be accurate collision detection.

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2023, 02:00:09 PM »
I figured E or F based on date. Maybe E-3?

You said that last time I posted years ago. Whether true or not the system is dumb. Should be accurate collision detection.

There is no way to have "accurate" detection due to internet lag. There still is not "faster than light" internet connections and so lag plays a big part in how the collisions work. What you see versus what the other person sees can be a 40 foot difference in game (think wing span) because of the lag.

The best and only control is to avoid any collision on your screen. If you avoid a collision while flying you will not take damage from a collision....... from a cannon round or two is another matter.

Come on back DVDA!

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2023, 02:03:35 PM »

It is true.
It is not dumb.
And it is perfectly accurate on your front-end.

You saw a collision on your front end, so of course you have to suffer the damage.  Or else you would see yourself pass thru objects and that would be worse.

He saw no collision occur on his end, so it would be silly for him to suffer phantom damage from no collision that could have been seen from his front-end.  Or else he would take unexplained damage any time he passed by a plane but still saw daylight between them.

There is no better system given the basic laws of physics and the non-zero time of travel of packets.

If you have a better system, it onus is on you to describe how your mythical algorithm would do it better.  In detail.  But first patent it, because you won't find any compromise better in the literature.

Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.

Offline DVDA

• Copper Member
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2023, 02:18:05 PM »
It is true.
It is not dumb.
And it is perfectly accurate on your front-end.

You saw a collision on your front end, so of course you have to suffer the damage.  Or else you would see yourself pass thru objects and that would be worse.

He saw no collision occur on his end, so it would be silly for him to suffer phantom damage from no collision that could have been seen from his front-end.  Or else he would take unexplained damage any time he passed by a plane but still saw daylight between them.

There is no better system given the basic laws of physics and the non-zero time of travel of packets.

If you have a better system, it onus is on you to describe how your mythical algorithm would do it better.  In detail.  But first patent it, because you won't find any compromise better in the literature.

Both players flying head on into each other nose to nose and firing. Only one will receive the penalty. That's dumb. Both should receive damage based on what part of plane struck what.

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2023, 02:21:33 PM »
Both players flying head on into each other nose to nose and firing. Only one will receive the penalty. That's dumb. Both should receive damage based on what part of plane struck what.

Are you talking collisions or bullet damage?

Bullet hits are calculated on the shooters side.  If your front-end saw the bullets you were shooting hitting, then the other plane will receive damage.

Offline DVDA

• Copper Member
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2023, 02:25:40 PM »
Are you talking collisions or bullet damage?

Bullet hits are calculated on the shooters side.  If your front-end saw the bullets you were shooting hitting, then the other plane will receive damage.

Well I can't speak from recent experience since I haven't flown since 2009. But I am referring to both planes not taking any bullet damage, colliding head on practically nose to nose only one player will take the random penalty. Other will fly away unharmed. Dumb.

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2023, 02:34:14 PM »
Well I can't speak from recent experience since I haven't flown since 2009. But I am referring to both planes not taking any bullet damage, colliding head on practically nose to nose only one player will take the random penalty. Other will fly away unharmed. Dumb.

Well, I think we already covered both enough you should be work that out.  I don't know what else to say.

Maybe the best answer is that I don't know of any significant changes in the basic algorithms of collisions or the damage model since at least back to 2012 or so.  I don't know if any of that WWI damage ever migrated over or not.

I haven't read every changelog, but I hadn't remember seeing any changes discussed.

But if you called HTC and explained you were an old player considering returning, I'd be surprised if you couldn't get another two-week trial.  I don't speak for HTC, but I would be amazed if the declined that.

Offline nopoop

• Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2023, 02:36:49 PM »
If your FE sees hits, he will be hit. If his FE sees hits, you will be hit. It is NOT like a colision.
nopoop

It's ALL about the fight..

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2023, 02:38:48 PM »

Another way of saying it is that

each side decides their own outcome in collisions,

but only the shooter decides the outcome of fired ord.

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2023, 02:47:06 PM »

When we both collide, there are actually two collisions. One on your frontend (screen), and one on mine. Depending on total lag between us two going through HTC's server, both collisions can be almost identical… or substantially different, like in this example of an actual online collision of two players with a fairly high combined lag (both were located in Europe):

on player 1 computer

And at the very same moment, on player 2 computer:

AH goes by "What you see is what you get", if you are in a collision on your scree, you take damage. If your opponent has a collision on his screen, he takes damage.

Popular objections:

"But there is no collision like that in real life, it takes TWO TO COLLIDE!!!!!"
- There ain't lag in real life...

"Still, both should take damage!"
- So you are telling me that you would like to suffer ramming damage even when you avoided a collision?

"Then just disable collision damage!"
- Oh great, fighters flying guns blazing through their opponents, especially bombers, since there is no risk of collision..

"Pfft, what do YOU know!?!?"
- Well, you could read HiTechs thoughts on this topic in this thread for example: https://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php/topic,294224.msg3750026.html#msg3750026

Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline DVDA

• Copper Member
« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2023, 02:48:57 PM »

But if you called HTC and explained you were an old player considering returning, I'd be surprised if you couldn't get another two-week trial.  I don't speak for HTC, but I would be amazed if the declined that.

Eh, I've since got my private pilot license and instrument rating so I do that hobby in my spare time. $15/month isn't much but hardly seems worth it if I am only going to play once a month or so.

Did they get rid of the free head to head mode? That was fun for a few fights before logging off.

Too bad this thread got derailed I was really curious about the models of those planes from the painting.

Offline Lazerr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2023, 02:52:03 PM »
Eh, I've since got my private pilot license and instrument rating so I do that hobby in my spare time. $15/month isn't much but hardly seems worth it if I am only going to play once a month or so.

Did they get rid of the free head to head mode? That was fun for a few fights before logging off.

Too bad this thread got derailed I was really curious about the models of those planes from the painting.

There is still free player arenas, and the dueling arena is free too.  Sometimes it's populated with a few guys, but it always has drones.