Author Topic: Moving On Up!  (Read 264 times)

Offline Dadtallica

• Silver Member
Moving On Up!
« on: August 02, 2023, 09:05:44 PM »
Thanks to all of you that participated in the previous thread. We got a decent deal and I’m getting a new ride out of it! https://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php/topic,407754.0.html

Sorry for the big pics.  :old: Here is what I have now… an HP Envy laptop

Here is what I will have now. I have sticks to also update this one to 64gb memory.

Can anyone give me a ideawhat kind of difference I should expect? Or where my best improvements will be? My monitor is a 55” 4K TV. I will also now to be able to use a Rift S I have and will probably get a newer VR. I also have a PSVR I might be able to use. Looking forward to something bette than my home office laptop lol.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2023, 09:17:09 PM by Dadtallica »
Back in 2022 after a loooooong break from 2010. Old name Ratpack, same for the BBS.

Squad I did the most tours with were the Excaliburs then The 172nd Rabid Dogs. Still trying to talk Illigaf, Coola, Oldman22, and Joecrow into coming back instead of being boring old farts!

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
Re: Moving On Up!
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2023, 01:29:01 AM »
So you're getting your son's old desktop to replace your laptop?

It's hard to tell what you will actually see since there's no info about the video cards but for what I could find out about your laptop the graphics of it aren't especially gaming oriented. Here's some pondering based on the information you've given:

The desktop has a better CPU and lots of RAM so they don't create a bottleneck. As you said you've upped the video card I suppose that part will also be an improvement to the laptop. One very important thing is that the desktop has much better cooling so there will not be a huge performance hit when the components start to heat up.

That said, remember what I said about resolutions and speed in the previous thread. The laptop is 1080p if my searches found the correct models. Your 4k TV will work as a monitor but it has a quadruple amount of pixels to draw so the load is four times that of the laptop. The desktop is not four times better! There's a workaround, though: Simply set the game to run at 1920x1080 and you'll see an improvement to your laptop. Similarly, the Rift S has a higher resolution and also a faster refresh rate which combined double the load compared to the screen of the laptop. The PSVR are even faster so the load is roughly three-fold. So both the 4K TV and the VR you have may end up giving you a worse gaming experience if you run them at their max specs.
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline Dadtallica

• Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2023, 08:32:26 AM »
Thanks for the notes. To be honest I actually have no issues with how it runs on the laptop. I’m just hoping for maybe a little crisper picture hopefully. I have no idea what the onboard graphics are for the HP.

I only use the big tv because I am old and it’s easier to shoot little planes lol. I would downsize if I had a better display.

I’ve never even used VR so I am not sure what to expect but everyone says it’s the only way to go!
Back in 2022 after a loooooong break from 2010. Old name Ratpack, same for the BBS.

Squad I did the most tours with were the Excaliburs then The 172nd Rabid Dogs. Still trying to talk Illigaf, Coola, Oldman22, and Joecrow into coming back instead of being boring old farts!

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
    • Twitch: Twitch Feed
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2023, 10:11:20 AM »
Apologies if this was already answered in the previous thread, but did you previously play on the 4K TV with the laptop hooked up to it? If so, I assume it was downsized to 1080p as I can't imagine that laptop running any game in 4K.

As Bizman said - hard to say without vid card info but I have to imagine it will be better. Not entirely sure whatever card is in the Alienware can handle 4K either There's a chance it has a 2080 but also a chance of a lesser card. Best way to find that is by looking in Device Manager.

i7-12700k | Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 | EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | H150i Capellix

FlyKommando.com

Offline Dadtallica

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2023, 11:38:57 AM »
Oh goodness sorry I didn’t realize it didn’t show the card for the R7. It’s an RTX 2060.

Lol and no the lapper was not putting out 4K. I will check what it’s exact card is.

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2023, 02:46:46 PM »
If you are sitting desk length from a 50" 4k tv.... it will not look all that crisp. I am an old fart too and was on a 55".
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)