Author Topic: Disconnecting only to Aces High  (Read 513 times)

Offline haggerty

• Silver Member
      • Facebook
Disconnecting only to Aces High
« on: September 09, 2023, 04:53:44 AM »
I've noticed a large uptick in disconnects the past couple days.  I've decided to run a -t ping on a few sites around the world and when I get disconnected to the game its only hitechcreations.com that times out with occasional 500+ pings scattered in before service is restored back to normal ping levels.  All other -t pings to other sites are not impacted, maintaining standard ping to those.  I imagine its something outside of hitech control....but if anyone else is playing from Japan and experiencing it, probably some path to Dallas region...
-Ninja250, -Spectre, -UBerHAGS, -FieroGT, -Haggerty, -Hellcat -Misawa, -Gloom -Nobunaga -Cobrakai

Offline Lazerr

• Platinum Member
Re: Disconnecting only to Aces High
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2023, 10:58:44 AM »
I've noticed at times the boards take a long time to load.  Almost as if it's timed out like you mentioned.

Haven't had any issues in game however.

Online Dadtallica

• Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2023, 11:14:15 AM »
I've noticed at times the boards take a long time to load.  Almost as if it's timed out like you mentioned.

Haven't had any issues in game however.

Same here.
Back in 2022 after a loooooong break from 2010. Old name Ratpack, same for the BBS.

Squad I did the most tours with were the Excaliburs then The 172nd Rabid Dogs. Still trying to talk Illigaf, Coola, Oldman22, and Joecrow into coming back instead of being boring old farts!

Offline haggerty

• Silver Member
      • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2023, 07:18:24 AM »
still getting over 10% packet loss to the game servers, but perfectly fine pings to other locations around the world.
Does not like the path from Japan to Dallas...
-Ninja250, -Spectre, -UBerHAGS, -FieroGT, -Haggerty, -Hellcat -Misawa, -Gloom -Nobunaga -Cobrakai

Offline haggerty

• Silver Member
      • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2023, 07:44:09 AM »
Went ahead and got a vpn since i'll never have any luck fixing ISP path to Dallas.  From 10+% packet loss to 0.  I'm back in business!

Offline GasTeddy

• Silver Member
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2023, 09:50:30 AM »
Went ahead and got a vpn since i'll never have any luck fixing ISP path to Dallas.  From 10+% packet loss to 0.  I'm back in business!

Really? When I tried VPN, my ping got worse. What location you use for VPN?

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2023, 09:52:32 PM »

Yeah I occasionally have similar issues (from NZ) where the upstream providers are hopping over weird routes. ExpressVPN fixes it.

Offline haggerty

• Silver Member
      • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2023, 04:03:45 AM »
Really? When I tried VPN, my ping got worse. What location you use for VPN?

A ping should always get worse if you use a VPN because it is only adding an additional hop at a minimum.  However in my case the difference in ping time was within a couple ms of each other, but the fixing of the packet loss issues was the major player.  Something is broken in my normal path to Dallas, TX, but by using a VPN i'm taking a different path there and back, which fixed the disconnects.

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2023, 11:18:12 AM »
A wild guess is that the VPN service providers use more stable routes which makes sense if we think about the original purpose of the system. Wasn't it intended to provide a safe method to contact the server of your company using any connection available, even the free Internet by Harry the Hacker?

Back in the day the culplrit for packet losses could be tracked to Level3, guess things haven't changed and Netflix et al. still dominate any longer stretches.
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni