Author Topic: Tuvix was murdered  (Read 505 times)

Offline FLOOB

• Gold Member
Tuvix was murdered
« on: October 15, 2023, 03:24:14 AM »
That and in the film “A Few Good Men” the bad guys won, yet the audience cheered just like when Janeway executed Tuvix.
“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans” - John Steinbeck

Offline Dadtallica

• Silver Member
Re: Tuvix was murdered
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2023, 08:00:13 AM »
That and in the film “A Few Good Men” the bad guys won, yet the audience cheered just like when Janeway executed Tuvix.

How did the bad guys win in a few good men?
Back in 2022 after a loooooong break from 2010. Old name Ratpack, same for the BBS.

Squad I did the most tours with were the Excaliburs then The 172nd Rabid Dogs. Still trying to talk Illigaf, Coola, Oldman22, and Joecrow into coming back instead of being boring old farts!

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2023, 08:46:13 AM »
How did the bad guys win in a few good men?

Because those wussy navy guys stopped the marines from being the manly men they need to be to protect our country.  :rolleyes: Just a way to put a political spin on whats a real good bit of entertainment for a couple hours.

Offline Dadtallica

• Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2023, 01:57:09 PM »
Because those wussy navy guys stopped the marines from being the manly men they need to be to protect our country.  :rolleyes: Just a way to put a political spin on whats a real good bit of entertainment for a couple hours.

So to be clear… *checks notes* the truth and the law were the bad guys?
Back in 2022 after a loooooong break from 2010. Old name Ratpack, same for the BBS.

Squad I did the most tours with were the Excaliburs then The 172nd Rabid Dogs. Still trying to talk Illigaf, Coola, Oldman22, and Joecrow into coming back instead of being boring old farts!

Offline FLOOB

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2023, 07:45:51 PM »
It’s an old movie so I’ll forgive you for not remembering. But it was the Lazy piece of toe jam Dr that kinda started the whole problem accusing the marine of malingering. Instead of doing justice they got rid of three good marines a batt commander and weakened national security.
“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans” - John Steinbeck

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2023, 08:14:15 PM »
It’s an old movie so I’ll forgive you for not remembering. But it was the Lazy piece of toe jam Dr that kinda started the whole problem accusing the marine of malingering. Instead of doing justice they got rid of three good marines a batt commander and weakened national security.

It's a great movie, full of great lines.   Nicholson was in top form.  Great supporting cast too.

It's about two Marines who were given an illegal order to haze a poorly performing member of their platoon.  They followed the order, but in so doing accidentally caused this Marine's death.  The base doctor was a lazy SOB and incorrectly diagnosed his death as poisoning, resulting in murder charges for the two Marines.  The base commander was involved in a cover up of the illegal order.    Good movie if you like courtroom dramas.

Offline Dadtallica

• Silver Member
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2023, 09:13:24 PM »
It's a great movie, full of great lines.   Nicholson was in top form.  Great supporting cast too.

It's about two Marines who were given an illegal order to haze a poorly performing member of their platoon.  They followed the order, but in so doing accidentally caused this Marine's death.  The base doctor was a lazy SOB and incorrectly diagnosed his death as poisoning, resulting in murder charges for the two Marines.  The base commander was involved in a cover up of the illegal order.    Good movie if you like courtroom dramas.

Seen that movie 50 times easy, it’s on my dvr too. Sorkin is an icon of mine. The OG script was 500 pages.

The doctor didn’t “misdiagnose” he was pressured by a corrupt general. Pull on that thread a bit on your own, if he was capable of covering up a death, what other lines would he cross?

Last I checked nobody is coming in from Cuba.

Offline FLOOB

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2023, 10:17:20 PM »
I know right the commander even requested another physical exam. I think you’re thinking of the post mortem they tried to cover up to protect the lame dr which doesn’t make any sense. And they were on trial instead of him. That’s Hollywood for ya.

Offline Dadtallica

• Silver Member
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2023, 10:44:06 PM »
I know right the commander even requested another physical exam. I think you’re thinking of the post mortem they tried to cover up to protect the lame dr which doesn’t make any sense. And they were on trial instead of him. That’s Hollywood for ya.

The doctor had a “sudden change of mind” but that was peanuts to the cover up.

He may have bent a military unwritten law but he broke several federal crimes to cover that up.

So again to confirm… the law was the bad guy?

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2023, 11:43:10 PM »
Sorkin is an icon of mine.

Ah I didn't realize he did that one.  Makes sense now.  I like Sorkin.  When he is in the zone he is great.  He can sometimes get a touch insufferable, but usually is great.

He is like the liberal Mamet, about whom I feel the same.   ;)

Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.

Offline FLOOB

• Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2023, 12:26:09 AM »
No the law is not a guy neither bad nor good. Lawyers that use a law without regard to its original intent and purpose are bad. Lawyers that place lawfulness above righteousness are bad. It wasn’t hazing it was corporal punishment. Something that’s indispensable in any combat arms unit that’s worth a damn. The marines did what they were supposed to do, what we want and expect them to do. In the end the dep of defense lost a valuable asset and the negligent party responsible for the whole ordeal walked.

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2023, 03:25:44 PM »
They had a poor leader and it affected the whole base. He didn't walk anywhere except to his cell.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2023, 07:33:51 PM »
Lawyers that use a law without regard to its original intent and purpose are bad. Lawyers that place lawfulness above righteousness are bad.

Most respectfully, I believe the Most Honorable Floob does not understand how the system works. 

And it works pretty well.  Hey, we've had 1500 years to fuss with it.

- oldman

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.electraforge.com/brooke/
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2023, 02:04:42 AM »
All they had to do was cut Tuvix in half, then lay each half in water so it would regrow the missing half.

Then they could do the procedure on one Tuvix and have a leftover Tuvix to stay Tuvix.

Everyone wins!

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2023, 07:28:16 AM »
"You can't handle the truth!"

Goes for most these days

Eagler
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals