Author Topic: An open reply to Vraciu  (Read 3754 times)

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
Re: An open reply to Vraciu
« Reply #45 on: October 23, 2023, 10:13:04 AM »
Some here have said CT doesn't male a difference...I have always thought it did..

A button to toggle ct on/off with trim rotor set to max deflection for when ct is turned off for max deflection instantly

Might be all in my head but it seems to get me around faster in the tightest of t&b fights...though it will kill your speed

Eagler
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #46 on: October 23, 2023, 11:04:02 AM »
I would think CT in the middle of a turn would cause an instant disruption to a smooth tight turn, but I have never used it off/on like that.    I do turn it off in the Lightning as prep for entering combat, much like dropping external tanks.  It really seems to interfere with the P-38’s edge of the envelope handling.

Offline Wolf

• Zinc Member
« Reply #47 on: October 23, 2023, 11:06:55 AM »
H2h is open to the public no subscription needed..

Make a date...Best of 5 ..film and post it here

Then we can all see who won and this sad thread can then die...

Eagler

Right? That might be a positive outcome, except it looks like dolby already declined and called vracious a nobody, not worth dueling. odd but predictable behavior from the types of people that make these threads, in my humble opinion.
The one who cries the loudest are the alpha wannabees. They cry out because they aren't good enough to get the kills they feel they deserve unless delivered on a silver platter.

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #48 on: October 23, 2023, 11:21:21 AM »
I would think CT in the middle of a turn would cause an instant disruption to a smooth tight turn, but I have never used it off/on like that.    I do turn it off in the Lightning as prep for entering combat, much like dropping external tanks.  It really seems to interfere with the P-38’s edge of the envelope handling.

You would be turning CT off then switching immediately to manual trim with the rotor read maxed to full deflection..

You actually feel the turn tightening when you kick manual trim in with that setup but speed drops horribly..

Press the button again and CT kicks and amd trims faster than manual can imo

Eagler

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline Animl-AW

• Gold Member
      • Animl - YouTube
« Reply #49 on: October 23, 2023, 12:26:44 PM »
It’ll never work,…we’re doomed!

Actually just glad I’m not the target for projection, for a change of pace.
Windows 11 Gaming Tweaks
https://imgur.com/oEtVMfP

Offline fd ski

• Silver Member
      • http://www.northotwing.com/wing/
« Reply #50 on: October 23, 2023, 12:29:05 PM »
You would be turning CT off then switching immediately to manual trim with the rotor read maxed to full deflection..

You actually feel the turn tightening when you kick manual trim in with that setup but speed drops horribly..

Press the button again and CT kicks and amd trims faster than manual can imo

Eagler

feels cheezie. Even using autotrim will give you a second or two penalty when you plane acks all stupid, should apply here as well...

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #51 on: October 23, 2023, 03:38:52 PM »
no idea what the drama is about, but something intrigued me when watching those movies:
Combat Trim on and combat trim off.
So is that a way to trim your plane in a middle of hard G turn or at the edge of a stall, instantly, perfectly in trim ?
Is that new meta ?

How it was explained to me....

CT is adjusted by the planes speed. As the speed changes the auto trim trims the plane for that speed. So the idea is you get to cruize speed and turn auto-trim off. Once you get into a fight, as you are diving out your speed increases, flick the auto trim on, then back off and auto trim will reset the trim for the new speed. It works as you slow to corner speed. Flick it on and off and your plane is trimmed for corner speed.

In a 38 its better to fly without auto trim because in ropes you can drop down under 100 mph and trim really messes with your controls. With out it it is easy to mantain control at those slower speeds with out get "stuck" in the air fighting the auto trim.

Offline LCADolby

• Platinum Member
« Reply #52 on: October 23, 2023, 05:00:04 PM »
Combat trim at low speeds while turning is advantageous in a P51. Trim that thing all the way nose up and it worth a notch of flaps if you can hang on the knife-edge.
JG5 "Eismeer"
YouTube-20Dolby10
Twitch - Glendinho

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #53 on: October 23, 2023, 05:51:38 PM »
Combat trim at low speeds while turning is advantageous in a P51. Trim that thing all the way nose up and it worth a notch of flaps if you can hang on the knife-edge.

That would be manual trim not combat trim..

Same with the 109s ...trim up and a flap or two and it can dance but you are very slow

Combat trim is automatic trim the rotor has zero affect on and is used by most as they don't want to manual trim constantly

Eagler

Offline Banshee7

• Platinum Member
« Reply #54 on: October 23, 2023, 06:26:35 PM »
Only time I turn combat trim off is when I’m trying not to lawn dart…. :joystick:
-=Most Wanted=-

||||||||

Offline LCADolby

• Platinum Member
« Reply #55 on: October 24, 2023, 01:29:17 AM »
That would be manual trim not combat trim..

Same with the 109s ...trim up and a flap or two and it can dance but you are very slow

Combat trim is automatic trim the rotor has zero affect on and is used by most as they don't want to manual trim constantly

Eagler

My second sentence did allude to manual...

For the 109 I wouldn't use the trim manually at low speed in an attempt to get the same effect as the P51, you'll just stall out easier by messing with your muscle memory.
JG5 "Eismeer"
YouTube-20Dolby10
Twitch - Glendinho

Offline LCADolby

• Platinum Member
« Reply #56 on: October 24, 2023, 01:30:02 AM »
Only time I turn combat trim off is when I’m trying not to lawn dart…. :joystick:

450mph and that K key gets pretty well hammered  :rock
JG5 "Eismeer"
YouTube-20Dolby10
Twitch - Glendinho

Offline fd ski

• Silver Member
      • http://www.northotwing.com/wing/
« Reply #57 on: October 24, 2023, 02:05:57 AM »
so we have an intricate flight modeling, all trims to keep us busy, foot on the ball and all that, and bragging rights require one to use easy mode to get most turning performance....
I thought combat trim was for noobs who couldn't keep a plane in control while in turn...

It used to piss me off to no end that i can't autotrim an aircraft in DCS and go take a leak, but given above, they do have a point...

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #58 on: October 24, 2023, 07:18:48 AM »
If it helps I don't use stall limiter  :joystick:

Fd ski did you think the majority here manual trim only?

I also use the stick views with vr some might think as cheating...along with icons...and run the engine 100% without fear of blowing it

I did try mt beta dcs since 2.9 came out and in vr I  can standup or lean totally out of the cockpit..

So they have the complicated plane controls but you can fly around like Lurch with your head out of the airplane ...it's great as you get the wind noise as soon as your head breaks the cockpit limits  :cheers:

I think AH offers the best combo of realism and fun for my online sim option $$

Eagler

Offline icepac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #59 on: October 24, 2023, 09:42:05 AM »
Dolby is better than Skyrr and he doesn’t need to game the game for kills.