Author Topic: old timers  (Read 4088 times)

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
Re: old timers
« Reply #30 on: November 22, 2023, 08:01:17 PM »
AHII ended awhile ago so you will not be able to connect AHIII is the newest version and might not run on your current Laptop if you have AHII then it is pretty dated I would assume

It's worth the upgrade!    I'm surprised AHII would still be able to pull patches down from the AH server?  So maybe he's getting AH III patches?

Offline PopJanko

• Zinc Member
« Reply #31 on: November 23, 2023, 10:48:02 PM »
Anybody around here play Fighter Ace?  I flew with the FC Squadron (The Flying Circus) from the late '90's until they killed it in 2009 or so, and left us high and dry.  I FC_Graywolf back then and flew with and against some of the best guys I've known in gaming.  Anybody that old in here?

I may have, but don't recall.

I did fly "Air Warrior" and "Hellcats over the Pacific" many years ago and was one of the "Hellcats/Leyte Gulf FAQ" for the game.

So, I may qualify as an old timer, but doesn't make me an expert at anything other than being an old guy.   :old:

Offline PopJanko

• Zinc Member
« Reply #32 on: November 27, 2023, 05:39:39 PM »
I'm from way back, but I flew Air Warrior, not Fighter Ace.

I flew in Air Warrior from 1988 until it closed down.  Then came on over to Aces High.

(I thought Air Warrior was good until 1998?)

This brings up something I'm curious about.  Too bad you can't fly old version of the game in compatibility mode in Winderz to hosted servers for a "legacy" subscription.  Example; Air Warrior and earlier versions of Aces High.   :angel: :cheers:

Pop

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.electraforge.com/brooke/
« Reply #33 on: November 27, 2023, 05:44:52 PM »
(I thought Air Warrior was good until 1998?)

Air Warrior's last day was December 7, 2001 -- the 60th anniversary of the attack on Pearl Harbor.

A bunch of folks got together in Air Warrior on that last day and made a group event of it.  Flying together in it that one last time.  In the air until the shutdown.

Offline PopJanko

• Zinc Member
« Reply #34 on: November 27, 2023, 06:08:41 PM »
Air Warrior's last day was December 7, 2001 -- the 60th anniversary of the attack on Pearl Harbor.

A bunch of folks got together in Air Warrior on that last day and made a group event of it.  Flying together in it that one last time.  In the air until the shutdown.

:aok

I used to fly AW with a satellite internet connection (sucked) as I was using all borrowed equipment before 1997.  Then, 33.6K baud, then 56K V.90 baud. 

I honestly don't recall the last day.

I do know I picked up the game of Aces High, shortly after it came out and it was a natural fit as a lot of the keyboard commands (that I recall) were exactly the same.

I used the "Way Back Machine" to download copies of some older game versions.  I was barely successful in getting them to run in some cases, but in others, worked quite well!

And, many compliments to every single participant in making Aces High what it is today.  It's amazing what we have today.

I do recall a version of the game where on a map where we could run GV's under the surface of the ground while seeing other GV's on top.
I recall when water was just "blue"
And we had very limited choices of aircraft....

and so much more

So, bringing them back, even in a wrapped exe capable of running on more recent operating systems, or emulated operating systems, using current servers to provide legacy arenas, for an additional cost of course, would be just so cool.

I'd pay double my current subscription to do that in addition to my current subscription, but to make it more realistic, access to version x would be $5 a month, access to version y (includes x) would be $10 a month, and access to version x, y, z, etc.

Not sure if that's realistic, or an idea many would like, but retro games are the "thing" the past couple of years and it's only stronger with being able to buy a "modern" version of an Atari from 1977.

Just some hair-brained thoughts this old guy has

Pop

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #35 on: November 28, 2023, 09:17:55 AM »
ASTEROIDS FTW.

:devil
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline Icer

• Nickel Member
« Reply #36 on: November 28, 2023, 12:19:55 PM »
Anybody around here play Fighter Ace?  I flew with the FC Squadron (The Flying Circus) from the late '90's until they killed it in 2009 or so, and left us high and dry.  I FC_Graywolf back then and flew with and against some of the best guys I've known in gaming.  Anybody that old in here?

Confirmed Kill, Warbirds, and anything else I could get my hands on, ending with AH I/II/III in various squads (BK's were the last here IIRC. Now it's IL-2 WWI/WWII, DCS, and BMS 4.37.3...
Win11 Pro 23H2/ Asus Z790-PLUS D4, / i9-13900KF @5.8Gz, 64GB DDR4 @3192mhz / 2TB M.2 NvMe Boot Drive, Zotac Gaming GeForce 4090 - 546.33 drivers/ 3 Samsung 32" 7680x1440 at 144Hz  / TIR 5/ TM Warthog HOTAS w/VirPil stick base/ MFG V3 Pedals/ TM MFDs on 8" Lilliputs/ Simgears ICP/ Varjo Aero VR

Offline Captain Virgil Hilts

• Platinum Member
« Reply #37 on: November 29, 2023, 07:43:44 PM »

I was out of town for business when it happened. Never forgave EA for that.
"I haven't seen Berlin yet, from the ground or the air, and I plan on doing both, BEFORE the war is over."

SaVaGe

Offline Animl-AW

• Gold Member
      • Animl - YouTube
« Reply #38 on: November 29, 2023, 10:39:08 PM »
I was out of town for business when it happened. Never forgave EA for that.

At first we were happy a big programming company was taking over AW, thinking they would make it great. AW had a large player base. Pretty sure AW had a larger player base when it was killed than AH does now. A huge portion of AH base is/was AWers. But as soon as we found out any further updates would require it had to be rewritten from scratch, and large corp mentality of "buy the competition to kill it", we were skeptical. But a lot of us went over to tech the game for EA anyway, in case we were wrong. Our gut feeling came true, they trashed it several months later.

Some should be careful what they wish for when suggesting someone buy AH to move it along.

They should also be careful in doing reckless things that hurt the numbers. Many never lived through the end of AW, they tend to take for granted the existence of AH to be forever. Since there is no proper policing, ya can't just sit quite and let it go on, because they (mostly former players) are taking advantage of that to walk around here scorn free and kicking trash cans over and pushing other sims just under the rules of it not being in a title, which is stupid. Ya only allow this if you want a biz to die.

They think it's funny, they have zero stock in the game and are allowed to come here and do this while they behave properly in their own sim forums, where their behavior is not permitted. They say a few kind or interesting things to keep ya listening, but wait for it,... the used car salesman slip in power of negative suggestion and their sales pitch for another sim once they have you listening again. They have worked out a passive aggressive wording system.

These people who want your sim to die are not your friends, they are cockroaches.
Master of the Air Scenario Video
https://youtu.be/rQiA2yMiZf0?si=QZEvHGf1Le0YlaHf

Animl's Windows 11 Gaming Tweaks
https://imgur.com/oEtVMfP[/

Offline Icer

• Nickel Member
« Reply #39 on: November 30, 2023, 08:23:57 AM »

They should also be careful in doing reckless things that hurt the numbers. Many never lived through the end of AW, they tend to take for granted the existence of AH to be forever. Since there is no proper policing, ya can't just sit quite and let it go on, because they (mostly former players) are taking advantage of that to walk around here scorn free and kicking trash cans over and pushing other sims just under the rules of it not being in a title, which is stupid. Ya only allow this if you want a biz to die.

They think it's funny, they have zero stock in the game and are allowed to come here and do this while they behave properly in their own sim forums, where their behavior is not permitted. They say a few kind or interesting things to keep ya listening, but wait for it,... the used car salesman slip in power of negative suggestion and their sales pitch for another sim once they have you listening again. They have worked out a passive aggressive wording system.

These people who want your sim to die are not your friends, they are cockroaches.

:rolleyes:... you must be a blast at parties!
« Last Edit: November 30, 2023, 11:11:19 AM by Icer »
Win11 Pro 23H2/ Asus Z790-PLUS D4, / i9-13900KF @5.8Gz, 64GB DDR4 @3192mhz / 2TB M.2 NvMe Boot Drive, Zotac Gaming GeForce 4090 - 546.33 drivers/ 3 Samsung 32" 7680x1440 at 144Hz  / TIR 5/ TM Warthog HOTAS w/VirPil stick base/ MFG V3 Pedals/ TM MFDs on 8" Lilliputs/ Simgears ICP/ Varjo Aero VR

Offline Max

• Platinum Member
« Reply #40 on: November 30, 2023, 08:27:49 AM »
At first we were happy a big programming company was taking over AW, thinking they would make it great. AW had a large player base. Pretty sure AW had a larger player base when it was killed than AH does now. A huge portion of AH base is/was AWers. But as soon as we found out any further updates would require it had to be rewritten from scratch, and large corp mentality of "buy the competition to kill it", we were skeptical. But a lot of us went over to tech the game for EA anyway, in case we were wrong. Our gut feeling came true, they trashed it several months later.

Some should be careful what they wish for when suggesting someone buy AH to move it along.

:headscratch:

Offline save

• Gold Member
« Reply #41 on: December 01, 2023, 06:41:03 PM »
Flew in WB from -96 and then AH some 7-8 years later, now in IL2.
My ammo last for 6 Lancasters, or one Yak3.
"And the Yak 3 ,aka the "flying Yamato"..."
-Caldera

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #42 on: December 02, 2023, 06:02:28 AM »
Flew in WB from -96 and then AH some 7-8 years later, now in IL2.

Is there a way in IL2 to turn off the German voices screeching at you during game play?

Eagler
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline Icer

• Nickel Member
« Reply #43 on: December 02, 2023, 06:25:32 AM »
Is there a way in IL2 to turn off the German voices screeching at you during game play?

Eagler

Not to de-rail this thread any further than has already been attempted, but I believe if you go into your x:\IL-2 Sturmovik Great Battles\data\Audio\ folder and rename "radio" to "-radio" you will no longer get voices in the cockpit..

Offline fd ski

• Silver Member
      • http://www.northotwing.com/wing/
« Reply #44 on: December 02, 2023, 07:08:36 AM »
started with fighter duel (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=72hE1IgGGsQ) back in 95 with dial up modems, challenge system where you called the person up, oh old times.
Matchmaking was on Kali/Khan - those  who played fighter duel would have fd- before their nick, and it stuck.
Went to WB in 98 nicks fd-ski and ==fd==, played AH since closed Alpha.
i guess that makes me an old timer ;)